U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2017, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'The Waterfall City'
6,091 posts, read 3,195,138 times
Reputation: 2334

Advertisements

I did a city climate comparison on Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I believe Asheville does have a wide range between lows and highs so maybe that accounts for the discrepancy.

Last edited by Yac; 09-27-2017 at 06:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2017, 08:11 PM
 
1,333 posts, read 1,153,738 times
Reputation: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Don't know what type of degree you are getting that but in Fahrenheit, CDA is much cooler than Asheville....for example, the average high in CDA in January if 35.5F and in Ashe it's 47.4F....in July the average high in CDA is 82F and in ashe it's 84F.
Hmmm, it was 47 this morning. Winter is more like low 40's & upper 30's here usually with a handful of 50's in there. Summer has been a good deal warmer than 84 as of the past few years, more like 87 with moderate to high humidity.

One thing I thought of is if CDA is like other parts of ID you've got big sky, whereas Ash is hemmed in by mountains & trees. I'd imagine each type of area appeals to different types of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Washington State
15,351 posts, read 8,020,336 times
Reputation: 13158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Hmmm, it was 47 this morning. Winter is more like low 40's & upper 30's here usually with a handful of 50's in there. Summer has been a good deal warmer than 84 as of the past few years, more like 87 with moderate to high humidity.

One thing I thought of is if CDA is like other parts of ID you've got big sky, whereas Ash is hemmed in by mountains & trees. I'd imagine each type of area appeals to different types of people.
Incorrect assumption that CDA is like southern Idaho, it's lush with tall beautiful fir trees and pines and mountains nearby which is why I think the OP started this comparison.

I've spent plenty of time in both as I worked a few years in Greenville, SC and now live a few hours from CDA....they are both beautiful area but CDA has a huge edge with the lake....but it is definitely colder in CDA especially in winter and their winter average is 70" of snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Washington State
15,351 posts, read 8,020,336 times
Reputation: 13158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I did a city climate comparison on Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I believe Asheville does have a wide range between lows and highs so maybe that accounts for the discrepancy.
Yes, that comparison only looks at July highs and January lows which tells part of the story but doesn't cover the winter highs and summer lows which come out to Ashe 12F warmer in January high and CDA 8F colder July low.

Last edited by Yac; 09-27-2017 at 06:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 11:43 AM
 
1,333 posts, read 1,153,738 times
Reputation: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Incorrect assumption that CDA is like southern Idaho, it's lush with tall beautiful fir trees and pines and mountains nearby which is why I think the OP started this comparison.
Good to know. I'd think Lake Lure, NC would make a make a better comparison at least as far as scenic areas with a lake, forests, and mountains. Has a very small population though.

I'm sure you can find better shots for both, but this gives you a general idea:

Lake Lure: https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...!4d-82.2048343

Coeur D Alene: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...4d-116.7804664
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Washington State
15,351 posts, read 8,020,336 times
Reputation: 13158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Good to know. I'd think Lake Lure, NC would make a make a better comparison at least as far as scenic areas with a lake, forests, and mountains. Has a very small population though.

I'm sure you can find better shots for both, but this gives you a general idea:

Lake Lure: https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...!4d-82.2048343

Coeur D Alene: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...4d-116.7804664
That's a pretty good representation of CDA. Lake Lure looks beautiful but it seems like it has a lot of deciduous trees while CDA is mostly evergreen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mntns., NC
10,228 posts, read 14,078,239 times
Reputation: 8760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
That's a pretty good representation of CDA. Lake Lure looks beautiful but it seems like it has a lot of deciduous trees while CDA is mostly evergreen.


Lake Lure is a man made lake, if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2017, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Washington State
15,351 posts, read 8,020,336 times
Reputation: 13158
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Lake Lure is a man made lake, if that matters.
I think some of the man made lakes are very nice but none can match something like Lake Tahoe or Lake Chelan near where we live in Washington state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2017, 01:52 AM
 
240 posts, read 253,128 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think some of the man made lakes are very nice but none can match something like Lake Tahoe or Lake Chelan near where we live in Washington state.


I think the big North Idaho lakes (Couer d'Alene, Pend Orielle, Priest) absolutely do match Tahoe and Chelan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2017, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
990 posts, read 925,255 times
Reputation: 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
I think the big North Idaho lakes (Couer d'Alene, Pend Orielle, Priest) absolutely do match Tahoe and Chelan.
I believe Tall Traveler was saying that none of the man-made lakes in the Carolinas could match lakes in the west, not that the Northern Idaho lakes couldn't hang.

And FWIW, Lake Lure is a lot smaller and it's true that may not match the scale of big lakes out here, but I have to say, it sure is a pretty place, especially in the fall: https://romanticasheville.files.word...casheville.jpg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top