Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:42 AM

403 posts, read 661,221 times

Advertisements

Asheville wins anyday. The latter offers absolutely nothing whatsoever, and it wishes that it was as nice as a place like Asheville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 09:14 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,412,933 times
We have lived outside of Asheville for over 13 yrs.; and (I personally) would choose CDA over AVL in the future based on how AVL the city itself has morphed into not being so 'fabulous' anymore, (imo) -- ask any long term local how they look forward to the area 'thinning out' when seasonal residents leave for the winter.

Yes, the mountain scenery is beautiful, it is a great place to vacation; hunt, fish, hike and so forth. Outdoor activities 8 months of the year are very nice, and there are several pretty small towns 30+ miles or so outside of Asheville that haven't been highly populated yet. WNC itself is a mecca for the sports person in several towns.

Asheville now has bumper to bumper traffic, traffic lights at about every intersection, narrow two lane roads that some people will never learn to respect resulting in many accidents, serious injury and death. Drugs, crime, slovenly 'hippies', low wages, high cost of living, plenty of transients to go around; unfortunately a high percentage of homeless. Then a stark contrast with high percentage of million dollar plus homes and estates. Plenty of craft beer and breweries, almost one on every corner -- plenty of excellent restaurants; fine dining or every day dining. Most flights to destinations from the local airport require a connection, few directs; although Allegiant is king to FL. 2 hrs. to CLT for most directs. 3 hrs. to ATL.

Many people say "Asheville" when they mean basically being in the NC mountains without realizing just how vast the area is. Asheville is not a large city. Sort of like 10 lbs. of X in a 5 lb. bag.

Depends what you're looking for, what your frame of reference is, and what your expectations are -- in any area, perform your serious due diligence. Currently, WNC home sales are experiencing a feeding frenzy; even with homes that are overpriced, need a lot of work, or priced realistically -- many don't even hit the MLS, or are sold within a week or less.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:40 AM

29,755 posts, read 18,623,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daystuss View Post
Which one is better?

I'm looking for 4 seasons, close to a body of water for swimming, mountain views, good homeschool community, lush green scenery, good nightlife and good shopping and dining.
Coeur d'Alene (CDA) is much cooler and gets just over half the rain and there is noticeably less humidity than you feel in Asheville.

CDA has an awesome lake right there, Asheville does not....however, I have to point out the water is cold to swim in.

Mountain views would go to CDA.

Lush green scenery imo is also an edge for Asheville I guess because of the evergreen firs.

Nightlife, shopping and dining I would say probably Asheville. Ashville is a rare mountain community for the eastern US but CDA is just one of hundreds in the west. I think Asheville is a more artistic community but I also saw more homeless, hippy types than I've noticed in CDA.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:58 AM

26,804 posts, read 43,277,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daystuss View Post
Which one is better?

I'm looking for 4 seasons, close to a body of water for swimming, mountain views, good homeschool community, lush green scenery, good nightlife and good shopping and dining.
Asheville gets 4 mild to moderate seasons, Coeur D'Alene gets probably about one (summer). Coeur D'Alene is on a lake and Asheville is not. Asheville is filled with mountain views and much more scenic in that department. I don't think there's a distinct advantage to either for homeschooling. Asheville wins hands down in the green/lushness category. I would also give Asheville a substantial win in the latter three of nightlife, shopping and dining with a heavy tip toward the dining aspect, as it's restaurant scene is extensive and national caliber. My tally shows Asheville winning six out of eight. Good luck!

Old 09-03-2017, 04:14 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,914,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Asheville gets 4 mild to moderate seasons, Coeur D'Alene gets probably about one (summer). Coeur D'Alene is on a lake and Asheville is not. Asheville is filled with mountain views and much more scenic in that department. I don't think there's a distinct advantage to either for homeschooling. Asheville wins hands down in the green/lushness category. I would also give Asheville a substantial win in the latter three of nightlife, shopping and dining with a heavy tip toward the dining aspect, as it's restaurant scene is extensive and national caliber. My tally shows Asheville winning six out of eight. Good luck!
Based on the OP's criteria, I would probably go with Asheville. And as others mentioned, AVL is closer to other big cities. But it's isolated, and it's fair to include Spokane's amenities in CDA's description, which is substantial and factors into things like shopping, transportation, and even nightlife.

That said, I still agree with you about the nightlife/culture and dining advantage going to Asheville, but your comment about the physical attributes and locations cause me to ask the question: Have you ever been to Coeur D'Alene? The area definitely experiences a colder winter with more snow, but with milder temperatures than much of the interior Mountain/Pac NW. Lake CDA and the northern Idaho lakes nearby are gorgeous and the surrounding mountain ranges are amazing. Northern Idaho is an interesting area- topography connected to older ranges extending into Canada and yet also the side of the main spine of the Rockies. While not as lush undergrowth as the Appalachians, it's greener than just about anything else in the Rockies.

Overall, this is an odd comparison of cities- mostly because I think of Asheville as more of a peer to places like Flagstaff, Missoula, Santa Fe, Bozeman, Eugene, Bend and Bellingham- places that are desirable but relatively isolated smaller towns. And again, I think Asheville has the edge in this matchup (especially for the intangible things like the vibe)- and it always has a place in my heart, as I lived in Western NC for 15+ years. But I don't think it wins by as much as others have suggested, and if the OP wants a place that is slightly more affordable/less discovered and may be a sleeper for things in the future, I think CDA/Spokane could be a solid choice.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Coeur d'Alene (CDA) is much cooler and gets just over half the rain and there is noticeably less humidity than you feel in Asheville.

CDA has an awesome lake right there, Asheville does not....however, I have to point out the water is cold to swim in.

Mountain views would go to CDA.

Lush green scenery imo is also an edge for Asheville I guess because of the evergreen firs.

Nightlife, shopping and dining I would say probably Asheville. Ashville is a rare mountain community for the eastern US but CDA is just one of hundreds in the west. I think Asheville is a more artistic community but I also saw more homeless, hippy types than I've noticed in CDA.
Meant to say CDA is more scenc.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:27 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,894,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
And as others mentioned, AVL is closer to other big cities. But it's isolated, and it's fair to include Spokane's amenities in CDA's description, which is substantial and factors into things like shopping, transportation, and even nightlife.
It's really odd since just about every other city vs. city brings up nearby cities & especially since people on CD seem to really like Spokane. Other than breweries I'd imagine a city of that size should have just about anything you'd find in Asheville.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:41 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,306,559 times
It looks like CdA is only about a degree colder than Asheville.

Asheville has more sunny days, and it has better fall color than CdA due to all the evergreens in north Idaho.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:28 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,631,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
Asheville wins anyday. The latter offers absolutely nothing whatsoever, and it wishes that it was as nice as a place like Asheville.
That's not true. Especially since Coeur d Alene is part of a larger/more populated area than Asheville.

Last edited by Mezter; 09-04-2017 at 08:41 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
It looks like CdA is only about a degree colder than Asheville.

Asheville has more sunny days, and it has better fall color than CdA due to all the evergreens in north Idaho.
Don't know what type of degree you are getting that but in Fahrenheit, CDA is much cooler than Asheville....for example, the average high in CDA in January if 35.5F and in Ashe it's 47.4F....in July the average high in CDA is 82F and in ashe it's 84F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City