U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:43 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,357,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Raleigh and Boston ahead of Seattle? Not sure if I agree with that. DC has a case because of the cyber security industry.
Boston is absolutely ahead of Seattle by any objective metric in Tech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 10:07 PM

3,009 posts, read 2,415,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I think Boulder might be bigger for tech than Denver. Either way, I'm in the tech industry in Denver and I'm not impressed by people's work ethic out here. It's also way too small of a tech market for a city of it's size and not very diverse.
Part of Denver's deal emphasis on tech is it is at the intersection of a lot of the internet traffic for the US. A lot of Denver's biggest tech employers (now former I guess) are with telecom: Level 3, Qwest...

If you look at tech rankings through the lens of data center space, it provides a bit of a different view. NOVA really does stomp the rest of the US, but the Northeast (yes, this includes Boston) is pretty disappointing.
http://www.us.jll.com/united-states/...k-jan-2017.pdf

Old 08-29-2017, 09:59 AM

3,997 posts, read 1,961,145 times
i always thought san fransisco was in silicon valley ?

the blurb about internet traffic and washington, d.c. seems wrong considering that akamai and emc2 are headquartered in the boston area.

akamai is the content delivery network for many hd video creators (i think youtube, hulu, netflix, dailymotion, ...)

and emc2 makes mainframes for a lot of cloud based businesses.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 08-29-2017 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 10:02 AM

27,863 posts, read 24,930,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post

Old 08-29-2017, 10:02 AM

1,876 posts, read 1,925,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
Silicon Valley is pretty much the stretch from Palo Alto to San Jose. When I lived in SF, Silicon Valley did not reference the city.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:13 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,499,465 times
Quote:
How is Los Angeles and "Silicon Beach" not on this list? It's almost as if they conveniently forgot about it.
Both LA and NYC are absent, but I am not really sure what this list measures. It might be measuring the ratios instead of absolute numbers?

Old 08-29-2017, 10:25 AM

3,997 posts, read 1,961,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Raleigh and Boston ahead of Seattle? Not sure if I agree with that. DC has a case because of the cyber security industry.
boston has a lot of bio-tech labs and genetics research companies in the kendall/m.i.t. area.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:30 AM

1,172 posts, read 1,187,072 times
Quote:
Thanks for that link for the download. At first glance, the reporting is already bothering me:

There are some major holes in that ranking. For instance, Boston/Cambridge, Denver/Boulder, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Minneapolis/St. Paul are listed in all surveys as the same metro area for combined statistics.

However, San Francisco and Oakland as well as L.A. and Orange County are broken up as separate markets even though they are in the same metro areas (heck, San Francisco and San Jose are listed as separate markets, another weird mistake). And San Mateo is just a city in the metro area located between San Jose and San Francisco. I guess San Mateo is where the dividing line is?

If you combine these two markets (like they should be) both Los Angeles and San Francisco would be much higher as a result. So the reporting in my opinion doesn't check out like they should.

How would you recommend breaking up Minneapolis and St. Paul as they literally border one another? No, they are not completely separated by the Mississippi river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I think Boulder would be counted as Denver since it's within the same metro area.

I wonder where Atlanta ranks.

EDIT: I should have read the article first. I see Atlanta is at #11.
???

Old 08-29-2017, 12:39 PM

1,709 posts, read 958,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
How would you recommend breaking up Minneapolis and St. Paul as they literally border one another? No, they are not completely separated by the Mississippi river.

???
That wasn't my point - Minneapolis and St. Paul are 20-40 minutes apart as is much of L.A. and Orange County. Yet why is L.A. / O.C. broken up into separate markets and other metro areas aren't?

The more I look at this survey, the more meaningless it seems to be. Probably a "pay for play" survey like J.D. Power or something.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:10 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,264,806 times
Quote:
That wasn't my point - Minneapolis and St. Paul are 20-40 minutes apart as is much of L.A. and Orange County. Yet why is L.A. / O.C. broken up into separate markets and other metro areas aren't?

The more I look at this survey, the more meaningless it seems to be. Probably a "pay for play" survey like J.D. Power or something.
Minneapolis and St Paul are connected so when you leave one city your in the other. Like Seattle and Bellevue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City