U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who gets there first?
Boston 6 6.32%
Jersey City 10 10.53%
Minneapolis 18 18.95%
Washington D.C. 53 55.79%
None of them 8 8.42%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2017, 07:23 AM
 
7,176 posts, read 3,866,252 times
Reputation: 7532

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
You know you are about that. DC is DINK heaven. Time will tell for sure.
DC will remain that way until it fixes its public schools. It's too expensive for most families (even six-figure professionals) to afford housing AND private schools, and its suburbs offer some of the best school districts in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2017, 09:08 AM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 2,997,146 times
Reputation: 1939
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
DC will remain that way until it fixes its public schools. It's too expensive for most families (even six-figure professionals) to afford housing AND private schools, and its suburbs offer some of the best school districts in the nation.

Yet DC has zipped from 572,000 population in 2000, to what will be over 700,000 population by 2020, with those same schools. So we're supposed to sit here and believe your premise that it all of a sudden won't crack 800k? Hogwash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 03:11 PM
 
9,583 posts, read 10,915,282 times
Reputation: 2109
Population increases are induced by construction. There is no other factor that will cause a city to grow continuously in density. If you build housing, population will increase. Therefore, as long as DC continues to build housing, the population will increase. Birth vs. death doesn't really sustain the type of growth urban cities are seeing. You have to build dense housing and that is what DC is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 07:07 AM
 
Location: The mountain of Airy
5,145 posts, read 4,985,538 times
Reputation: 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Population increases are induced by construction. There is no other factor that will cause a city to grow continuously in density. If you build housing, population will increase. Therefore, as long as DC continues to build housing, the population will increase. Birth vs. death doesn't really sustain the type of growth urban cities are seeing. You have to build dense housing and that is what DC is doing.
Builders build houses in order to make money. Growth is driven by demand which is fueled in large by jobs and desirability. Once houses decrease in pricing and units go unsold, builders will stop building.

So, for now, DC will grow in population when housing is built. But like all cities, DC growth will slow at some point. There's a tipping point for most everyplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 10:45 AM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 2,997,146 times
Reputation: 1939
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Builders build houses in order to make money. Growth is driven by demand which is fueled in large by jobs and desirability. Once houses decrease in pricing and units go unsold, builders will stop building.

So, for now, DC will grow in population when housing is built. But like all cities, DC growth will slow at some point. There's a tipping point for most everyplace.
True with all cities and yes applies to DC as well. My whole point and the point of this thread is this will not stop the city from matching its peak population of 802k. I could see a significant slow down between 800k and 900k though, at which point the inner ring suburbs will just continue to make up the slack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 10:47 AM
 
1,706 posts, read 946,164 times
Reputation: 985
Jersey City. They have cleaned up Grove Street in record time and now gentrification is setting the pace. People are leaving places like Hoboken and NYC for the hype and tons of new buildings and restorations are being done. 51K is an easy gap to close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 10:51 AM
 
Location: The mountain of Airy
5,145 posts, read 4,985,538 times
Reputation: 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
True with all cities and yes applies to DC as well. My whole point and the point of this thread is this will not stop the city from matching its peak population of 802k. I could see a significant slow down between 800k and 900k though, at which point the inner ring suburbs will just continue to make up the slack.
Makes sense to me. It will be interesting to see how the city changes in that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,332 posts, read 2,881,610 times
Reputation: 3897
One thing that Minneapolis has going for it is that it still has tons of underutilized land. You could probably add 150,000 just by filling in the rest of downtown and redeveloping the all the vacant lots and one story commercial buildings on the south side into midrises. Minneapolis also still has very low apartment vacancy rates in the city proper which means that development pressure is as strong now as it was 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 12:53 PM
 
1,167 posts, read 1,178,088 times
Reputation: 983
In order for Minneapolis to reach its peak population again, a number of conditions will have to change, including
* Nimbyism - I'm all for neighborhood groups having input on development, but the groups in Minneapolis have way too much influence.

* Development - if the city is going to keep pushing four to six-story look-alike buildings, then it's going to be a long time before the city ever hits 520,000+ again. There are plenty of neighborhoods that are screaming to be redeveloped into dense neighborhoods with high rises.

* Sprawl - The Twin Cities area doesn't have any major, natural boundaries so sprawl continues to go unchecked. There should be some sort of growth boundary in place and / or toll roads. The mindset of some people here is ridiculous (ie I have a friend who lives in Buffalo (exurb) and works in St. Paul).

* Access to Jobs - the Twin Cities area is home to several Fortune 1000 companies, a number of large, private companies, and several US and International companies have offices in the area so there are plenty of jobs. Most of the jobs however, are in secondary and tertiary suburbs, which forces many within the core cities of MPLS and STPL to drive. Many eventually end up moving closer to their jobs.

* Transportation - Eden Prairie and the like do not need a light-rail line. The denser neighborhoods within MPLS and STPL do. Additional lines will help spur growth.

* More affordable housing

OR

Minneapolis and St. Paul can start doing what so many other "larger" cities have done - annex their suburbs.

Last edited by YIMBY; 09-06-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top