Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best?
Dallas 60 28.44%
Minneapolis 79 37.44%
St. Louis 14 6.64%
Atlanta 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:12 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,820,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Jeez... calm down. It's a suburban city when it comes to ethnic enclaves just like DC. Alot of minorities have settled outside of the city core.
Then say what you actually mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 10:17 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,657,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Then say what you actually mean.
Look at what I was replying to. It was in context.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minndavid60 View Post
Is that code for "it's too white"?
Absolutely not.... Minneapolis to me felt too clean and very nice without much urban grit is what I meant. I'm a big fan of Seattle which is another heavily "white" city if that helps clarify and I find DC bland at times too which is currently my hometown.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:35 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,820,546 times
Quote:
Look at what I was replying to. It was in context.
Perhaps it was in context in your mind, but it certainly didn't come across that way. Besides, your agenda clearly blurs the lines of all of your comments regarding Atlanta.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Perhaps it was in context in your mind, but it certainly didn't come across that way. Besides, your agenda clearly blurs the lines of all of your comments regarding Atlanta.
Agenda this and Agenda that. Aren't you tired telling everyone their "opinion" of Atlanta is wrong?

Old 09-07-2017, 11:05 AM

70 posts, read 100,821 times
Quote:
I'm a big fan of Seattle which is another heavily "white" city if that helps clarify and I find DC bland at times too which is currently my hometown.

Then you really don't know much about Minneapolis as the city proper is 40% non white. This percentage is at least comparable if not a bit higher than the overall U.S. average. Some people like to argue about the "diversity" of places like D.C. or Atlanta because they are 60+% black but in my book, that is less diverse because it's simply the opposite of supposed "too white" cities like Seattle or, allegedly, Minneapolis.

We'll see what we can do to "gritify" the city so that it is more to your liking the next time you visit.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:16 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,785,873 times
Quote:

We'll see what we can do to "gritify" the city so that it is more to your liking the next time you visit.
I'm guessing all we would have to do is take them to East Lake St, or Payne Ave. Visitors tend to miss the grittier parts of the cities.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:48 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,390,226 times
Quote:

Then you really don't know much about Minneapolis as the city proper is 40% non white. This percentage is at least comparable if not a bit higher than the overall U.S. average. Some people like to argue about the "diversity" of places like D.C. or Atlanta because they are 60+% black but in my book, that is less diverse because it's simply the opposite of supposed "too white" cities like Seattle or, allegedly, Minneapolis.

Not exactly...

DC and Atlanta are much more diverse than Minneapolis even with larger Black populations.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:56 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,785,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Not exactly...

DC and Atlanta are much more diverse than Minneapolis even with larger Black populations.
It is kind of a pointless argument though because every city in the US is diverse compared to most cities in the rest of the world. London, which is considered one of the most diverse cities in the world is still 80% English born white, which would make it one of the whitest cities in the US. There are only a handful of cities outside of the US that are more diverse than cities like Minneapolis, Seattle or Denver which get labeled vanilla here (Toronto, Vancouver, and Singapore come to mind, are there any others?)

Even the "not diverse" cities in the US are incredibly diverse by global standards.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:02 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,067,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
That's the thing about the Dallas metro. It's so huge and ridiculously spread out ON TOP of being super congested due to 7 million and counting people living there. There's PLENTY to do in DFW and pretty much any type of event, sport, amenity, ethic spot, etc that you'd expect from a metro of 7 million, but what good is it when you have an hour+ commute home from work and then ANOTHER hour+ commute to get to any of it? WAY too sprawling, on top of having the terrible congestion of a 7 million population.
But the thing is,DFW isn't super congested. While it is hard to compare traffic, DFW doesn't do worse than Chicago or most coastal cities,bigger and smaller, when it comes to commute times; the only Metro data I found showed average commute time at around 26 minutes for DFW and 24 minites for MSP. And then around 30 for Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City