U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best?
Dallas 56 27.59%
Minneapolis 75 36.95%
St. Louis 14 6.90%
Atlanta 58 28.57%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 09:56 PM

4,235 posts, read 4,135,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minndavid60 View Post

Then you really don't know much about Minneapolis as the city proper is 40% non white. This percentage is at least comparable if not a bit higher than the overall U.S. average. Some people like to argue about the "diversity" of places like D.C. or Atlanta because they are 60+% black but in my book, that is less diverse because it's simply the opposite of supposed "too white" cities like Seattle or, allegedly, Minneapolis.

We'll see what we can do to "gritify" the city so that it is more to your liking the next time you visit.
Seattle and Minneapolis metros are over 70% white that not diverse.

That means while there city proper can have decent diversity but outside there core cities in most of their metro finding minorities is like looking for waldo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Atlanta city is NOT very diverse. Its predominately black. The metro area is much more segregated than Dallas/FW and very obvious to see black people live east and south and white are found mostly north and west. You don't see that in Dallas/FW. Atlanta is not nearly as diverse as D.C. or Dallas. It has a much smaller latin population of course given Dallas is in Texas but due to a higher level of IT and more Fortune 500 companies than Atlanta (i.e. those with more international operations), I've noticed more people of Indian and Asian descent.
inaccurate and bordorline lie

Just cause an area is majority white or majority black doesn't change the the fact their is a large white or black minority living in that area, In black majority areas there still a 10% to 30% white population in white majority area there still a 10% to 30% black population.

Atlanta is also amonst the few metro that even have a Hispanic population above 10%. because most metros that does are west of Mississippi, There is also a larger Asian population in metro Atlanta.

New York, LA, Chicago, DC, Bay Area, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Miami are the most diverse large cities in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 10:33 PM

4,235 posts, read 4,135,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
What's interesting about Atlanta is that you would think it's at least a top 20 populated city in America but in reality it's like in the top 40.

Atlanta metro is where you can really feel the population rising,

So my question to someone from Atlanta, Do you guys consider Atl a big city ?

I ask because i feel a true big city has at least 1 - 2 million residents living in the city proper.
That pointless because city limits of " city proper" are different sizes,

Metro areas don't just happen if was wasn't for the original central cities the metro wouldn't exist. Metropolitians are the results of cities growing outward. So you can't have a big metro with out a big city. Atlanta has a small city limit and wasn't able annex as the city grow outward like most of it's sunbelt cousins. Atlanta in the size of other sunbelt cities it would have 1 to 2 million.

So to answer the question yes Atlantans do, Atlanta sort of see it like this there a on paper, then there reality.

On paper Jacksonville is bigger
http://cdn.testy.nanic.cz/fetch_imag...00.33759;b.png

In reality no
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ape_032008.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 12-30-2017 at 09:35 PM..

Old 12-25-2017, 09:19 AM

10,391 posts, read 7,309,186 times
I choose Minneapolis, Minnesota

Old 12-25-2017, 09:20 AM

721 posts, read 223,531 times
What's up with these 4 way comparisons? It makes it very hard to get any meaningful thoughts since we are comparing A to B and A to C and A to D and B to C and B to D etc...

Which city is the most attractive to move to?

People friendliness: Atlanta
Thriving neighborhoods: Dallas
Economy: Atlanta
Scenery: Atlanta
Crime: Minneapolis
Food: Atlanta
Cleanliness: Minneapolis
Overall best: Atlanta

Old 12-30-2017, 09:15 PM

767 posts, read 415,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Seattle and Minneapolis metros are over 70% white that not diverse.

That means while there city proper can have decent diversity but outside there core cities in most of their metro finding minorities is like looking for waldo.

inaccurate and bordorline lie

Just cause an area is majority white or majority black doesn't change the the fact their is a large white or black minority living in that area, In black majority areas there still a 10% to 30% white population in white majority area there still a 10% to 30% black population.

Atlanta is also amonst the few metro that even have a Hispanic population above 10%. because most metros that does are west of Mississippi, There is also a larger Asian population in metro Atlanta.

New York, LA, Chicago, DC, Bay Area, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Miami are the most diverse large cities in the country.

Based on this link, metro Atlanta is nowhere near as diverse as you believe, i.e. not even top 30.
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-diverse-cities/12690/

Also another website reported the metro Atlanta's latino population at 5.2% as of 2010.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:34 PM

21,045 posts, read 33,049,831 times
Quote:
Based on this link, metro Atlanta is nowhere near as diverse as you believe, i.e. not even top 30.

Also another website reported the metro Atlanta's latino population at 5.2% as of 2010.
Most of metro Atlanta's 'diversity' is outside of the city limits. And the metro's Hispanic population is currently estimated at about 11%. 2010 was eight years ago.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:51 PM

4,648 posts, read 3,037,984 times
Quote:
Uh, your link is for cities, not metro's. And 3 of the top 30 happen to be suburbs of Atlanta.

Quote:
'Another website' was wrong. The Pew Center claims it's 11%, with the Twin Cities at 6%: Appendix Tables | Pew Research Center

Old 12-31-2017, 01:38 AM

18,258 posts, read 25,993,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
What's up with these 4 way comparisons? It makes it very hard to get any meaningful thoughts since we are comparing A to B and A to C and A to D and B to C and B to D etc...

Which city is the most attractive to move to?

People friendliness: Atlanta
Thriving neighborhoods: Dallas
Economy: Atlanta
Scenery: Atlanta
Crime: Minneapolis
Food: Atlanta
Cleanliness: Minneapolis
Overall best: Atlanta
Id give economy to Dallas. Food is pretty equal with Dallas and Atlanta.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:57 AM

876 posts, read 477,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Id give economy to Dallas. Food is pretty equal with Dallas and Atlanta.
I've never had a bad meal in Dallas. OTOH, I've had plenty of them in Atlanta. However, in terms of variety, they are about tit-for-tat, though I think DFW trumps ATL with Mexican, ATL > DFW for Ethiopian, and they're about equal for Korean.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:45 PM

2,893 posts, read 4,220,683 times
For me, the tipping point in the DFW-Atlanta food battle, leaning towards DFW, is the abundance of quality Tex-Mex and BBQ in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or