Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best?
Dallas 60 28.44%
Minneapolis 79 37.44%
St. Louis 14 6.64%
Atlanta 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 11:21 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,917,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Now Chicago is a different story.

ATL and Dallas doesn't do it for me with food. Their neighborhoods remind me of Maplewood and Kirkwood. Economy yes. Food and neighborhoods no.

How suburbs think about the city is a different story.
Just curious as to how Atlanta left you disappointed neighborhood and food-wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 11:23 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I love St Louis and lived there for a while, but the city cannot compete with Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston.

I lived in Soulard and liked the character of that area, but a large chunk of the city is abandoned and unsafe. I think St Louis is one of the few cities in the country where people from the suburbs have no desire to visit. Compare that to a place like Chicago where everyone from the suburbs comes out on the weekend for their food and museum fix.

Dallas is growing because it doesn't have harsh winter weather, taxes are low, jobs are plentiful, and homes are affordable.

Minneapolis is a much better place to live than Dallas if you can deal with the winters. Minneapolis feels more urban, has more character and a historic feel, and has nature.
According to CD, Dallas has harsh summers which are nearly as bad as harsh winters, if not worse. I disagree but thats how debates on CD seem to go about weather. Also, I believe homes are cheaper in Minneapolis. While that fact makes Minneapolis more appealing, it also knocks down the idea that more people move to DFW than the Twin Cities for economic reasons. Going back to weather,even if you think DFW has better weather than the Twin Cities, there are probably a hundred or so cities throughout the country that have better weather, many of which are even more affordable.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:53 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,806,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post

I never stated it's great. Just pointing out that you are exaggerating about the weather and flat out lying about the locals.

Not sure why you brought Denver and Los Angeles into the conversation.
Well then what is it? Your vibe seems to be that weather in Minneapolis is ideal which is an apologetic attitude.

Denver and L.A. I brought in to point out how these cities are much more ideal for weather than MSP. And I'm not lying about the locals either. "Minnesota Nice" is absolutely a real thing and deny it is more Fake News.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:55 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Well then what is it? Your vibe seems to be that weather in Minneapolis is ideal which is an apologetic attitude.
Haha. I never stated the weather is ideal and I'm definitely not being apologetic as I described some of the months as being awful. I pointed out that you were exaggerating, which you are.

Quote:
Denver and L.A. I brought in to point out how these cities are much more ideal for weather than MSP. And I'm not lying about the locals either. "Minnesota Nice" is absolutely a real thing and deny it is more Fake News.
What? Denver's weather is not ideal, especially for those who don't like winter. I'm there several times throughout the year and have experienced the cold that moves through and some of the storms they have had. L.A. is a different story - great weather. Again, not sure why you are bringing L.A. and Denver into the conversation, but L.A. > Minneapolis > Denver.

So, you are saying everyone in Minneapolis has the Minnesota Nice thing going on? What about all the transplants and foreigners? I think your attitude is far worse than anyone I've ever met in Minnie and that's why people here won't give you the time of day. Honestly, you're either jealous of something or just a negative person. Either way, pretty pathetic.

Last edited by YIMBY; 09-04-2017 at 02:08 PM..

Old 09-04-2017, 03:39 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,959,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Just curious as to how Atlanta left you disappointed neighborhood and food-wise?
I know what to expect out of Atlanta because I've been visiting since the 80s.

Over the past 5 to 10 years the culinary scene in St Louis has taken off like most places. Ive had better luck with the average joe local restaraunt in St Louis then i have in Atlanta and Dallas.

Atlanta has more to offer as city! I do enjoy visiting Atlanta. Urbanized walkable neighborhoods and the food scene is better in St Louis from what I've seen then Dallas and Atlanta. I know many who live in St Louis would agree. I think dallas just may be a better place to live then St Louis.

What makes you think the food and restaraunts are better in Atlanta? Be honest. I personally don't think many are taking an honest look at the questions. What city is better is subjective so is the food and urban neighborhoods but for some reason I don't think people are knowledgeable about the food options and what each city has to offer.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:58 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,414,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I know what to expect out of Atlanta because I've been visiting since the 80s.

Over the past 5 to 10 years the culinary scene in St Louis has taken off like most places. Ive had better luck with the average joe local restaraunt in St Louis then i have in Atlanta and Dallas.

Atlanta has more to offer as city! I do enjoy visiting Atlanta. Urbanized walkable neighborhoods and the food scene is better in St Louis from what I've seen then Dallas and Atlanta. I know many who live in St Louis would agree. I think dallas just may be a better place to live then St Louis.

What makes you think the food and restaraunts are better in Atlanta? Be honest. I personally don't think many are taking an honest look at the questions. What city is better is subjective so is the food and urban neighborhoods but for some reason I don't think people are knowledgeable about the food options and what each city has to offer.
St. Louis neighborhoods are much more distinct with a sense of place, with cohesiveness as well. I think most of the Atlanta hoods are too sprawled and considered a place to visit, rather a place to live.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:01 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
St. Louis neighborhoods are much more distinct with a sense of place, with cohesiveness as well. I think most of the Atlanta hoods are too sprawled and considered a place to visit, rather a place to live.
How so when clearly far more people are choosing to actually live in and around Atlanta than St. Louis? Reality seems more likely the exact opposite.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:

So, you are saying everyone in Minneapolis has the Minnesota Nice thing going on? What about all the transplants and foreigners? I think your attitude is far worse than anyone I've ever met in Minnie and that's why people here won't give you the time of day. Honestly, you're either jealous of something or just a negative person. Either way, pretty pathetic.
I said repeatedly *SOME* people have the MN Nice thing going on, not all. Please don't shove words in my mouth when that's not what I said.

And also, wow, Judging people over internet blog posts - how mature. I'll take negative over backstabbing / passive aggressive behavior which is culturally acceptable up there and isn't in other places. And yes, it's a real thing, don't even try to deny it.

It's funny how people get so defensive about Minneapolis. Just more spinning every time it comes up in CD just to make itself seem cool, whereas it's almost lame.

As far as transplants, I don't believe the hype. They do studies of transplants moving to certain places, but do they ever do exit interviews? I feel like MSP is like DEN in that regard. They hype up the numbers but don't report on the people who leave after a year or two

And further, why would I be jealous of a place that has spawned off religious nuts like Jim and Tammy Bakker or weird politicians like Al Franken, Jesse Ventura, and Michele Bachmann? I swear to God, this is why MN came so close in flipping to Trump last year. They've just had it with BS.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:17 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,436 times
Quote:
I said repeatedly blah blah blah... They've just had it with BS.
Jim Bakker isn't even from MN. He and his wife met while attending a small, Christian University in Minneapolis. They started their television program in the SE (I think Charlotte). That said, I'm not sure what them attending school in Minneapolis has anything to do with Minneapolis or the state. Nice try though.

As far as the elections are concerned, in case you didn't notice Trump came close in a lot states that should have easily voted blue. Had Bernie not been screwed over, people would have came out to vote and it wouldn't have been as close as it was (Sanders received the most votes and the most delegates in the MN precinct caucuses - 62% compared to Clinton's 38%).

Last edited by YIMBY; 09-04-2017 at 05:38 PM..

Old 09-04-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Yawn. Move on.
I didn't say that - answer my post or get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City