Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is better to Live? Fun, Affordable & Safe?
Atlanta 27 42.19%
Kansas City, MO 12 18.75%
Dallas, TX 14 21.88%
Philly 14 21.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 08:23 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times

Advertisements

I've never visited Dallas so I can only go by what I've heard. Atlanta and Dallas both have a fair amount of New Orleans transplants post Katrina so you shouldn't feel too much out of place.

Good education- Philadelphia, Atlanta
Good employment opportunities- Atlanta, Dallas
Walkability in neighborhoods (to stores)- Philadelphia
Moderate Traffic (I hate traffic)- Kansas City
Slim Crime Rate (I'm aware no city is perfect)- Dallas probably
Social (easy for my husband to build clientele)- Atlanta, Dallas
Good nightlife (for occasional outings)- Atlanta, Philadelphia
Annual Events- Philadelphia, Atlanta
Parks- Philadelphia Atlanta
Kid Friendly (zoo, skating, swimming, biking, childcare)- the larger metros will have more to do
Urban- Philadelphia
Music Scene- Atlanta, Philadelphia
Affordable housing (section 8 preference until I finish college)- Atlanta, Kansas City, Dallas
Scenic (beautiful areas)- Atlanta, Philadelphia
4 seasons- Philadelphia

TBH, Kansas City in my opinion doesn't offer a lot for a young Black person with a family besides cost of living and is a much smaller metro than the other 3 which means it would probably offer much less in terms of amenities. Atlanta and Dallas both have similar cost of living with Philadelphia I'm assuming being the most expensive of the bunch. With that being said in both Dallas and Atlanta I'm sure you'd be able to find a sizable/ affordable home using section 8. Philadelphia Is the most urban of them all, offering everything that Atlanta and Dallas has with the 4 seasons of weather. I guess a plus would be that both Atlanta and Dallas are less than an 8 hour drive to New Orleans just in case you would ever get homesick. Personally I like Philadelphia the most but my vote would be for Atlanta or Dallas given your situation. Good luck to you and yours!!!

Last visited
Atlanta Feb. 2016
Philadelphia Aug. 2015
Kansas City Aug. 2016
Dallas..n/a

Last edited by noid_1985; 09-02-2017 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 09:53 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Good education: None are the best
Good employment opportunities: Dallas
Walkability in neighborhoods (to stores): Philly
Moderate Traffic (I hate traffic): Kansas City
Slim Crime Rate (I'm aware no city is perfect): None are slim.
Social (easy for my husband to build clientele): Atlanta
Good nightlife (for occasional outings): Atlanta
Annual Events: Atlanta
Parks: Atlanta
Kid Friendly (zoo, skating, swimming, biking, childcare): Atlanta
Urban: Philly
Music Scene: Atlanta
Affordable housing (section 8 preference until I finish college): Atlanta
Scenic (beautiful areas): Atlanta
4 seasons: Kansas City

I would one of Atlanta's northern suburbs.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:19 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It's still relevant, and shows the true 'Spirit of Atlanta' even after a mere 21 years.

You dismiss Atlanta at every turn, but it's the only one of these cities that have ever hosted the Olympics. We pulled it off very admirably, despite the bombing by Eric Rudolph and the European press.
I don't get that the OP is looking for a city with "spirit". Hosting the Olympics shouldn't sway a person's choice of where to live. Only Kansas City and Dallas have won super bowls. Their populations probably celebrated in the streets...ooo....I want to move there!!!

Old 09-02-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Do you even understand why I posted that clip?
No, I don't see how it is relevant to the OP's questions. For all I know, people were thinking of the money to be made.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:30 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Good education: None are the best
Good employment opportunities: Dallas
Walkability in neighborhoods (to stores): Philly
Moderate Traffic (I hate traffic): Kansas City
Slim Crime Rate (I'm aware no city is perfect): None are slim.
Social (easy for my husband to build clientele): Atlanta
Good nightlife (for occasional outings): Atlanta
Annual Events: Atlanta
Parks: Atlanta
Kid Friendly (zoo, skating, swimming, biking, childcare): Atlanta
Urban: Philly
Music Scene: Atlanta
Affordable housing (section 8 preference until I finish college): Atlanta
Scenic (beautiful areas): Atlanta
4 seasons: Kansas City

I would one of Atlanta's northern suburbs.
PRobably agree with most here, but I think PHilly has 4 seasons.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:31 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Being from Philly, I would choose Philly... then probably Atlanta.

There are plenty of great neighborhoods in the city, but even a lot of suburbs offer that walkable environment you're looking for like Ardmore, Jenkintown, Media, Collingswood, Haddonfield, etc.

Answers:

Good education: Philadelphia has top notch public schools but only some in the city. A lot of public schools in the city are pretty bad. Philadelphia has some of the best suburban public school districts in the country. Private and charter schools are also top notch in both the city and suburbs. Furthermore, colleges/universities in the Philadelphia area are top notch. Right on par with Boston.

Good employment opportunities: Philadelphia has had significant job growth the past few years. Center City, University City and the Navy Yard are the hot job districts in the city, and Montgomery County, PA, Camden County, NJ, and New Castle County, DE are the hot job center counties in the suburbs.

Walkability in neighborhoods (to stores): There are hundreds in the Philadelphia area. Almost too many to name. Obviously Center City and University City, but if you don't want to live downtown, you have so many options throughout the city and the suburbs. Fairmount, Northern Liberties, East Passyunk Crossing, Passyunk Square, Bella Vista, Queen Village, Graduate Hospital, Spruce Hill, Cedar Park, Manayunk, East Falls, West Mount Airy, Chestnut Hill, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Conshohocken, Jenkintown, Phoenixville, Media, Collingswood, Haddonfield, etc. etc.

Moderate Traffic (I hate traffic) - you're going to hit traffic along I-76 and I-95... it's a major city and it's unavoidable if you're driving. Philadelphia does have a very intricate and very nice public transit system however, including a very clean and cozy regional rail/commuter rail system between suburbs an city.

Slim Crime Rate (I'm aware no city is perfect) - Philadelphia has a moderate crime rate. It's much, much lower the past few years. Still higher than some places like NYC, San Fran, Boston, etc., but lower than places like Atlanta, Miami, DC, Detroit, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, etc. etc.

Social (easy for my husband to build clientele) - Philadelphia is a very social place in both Center City and specific suburban counties - usually the ones with walkable town centers or main streets. Other suburbs and less walkable areas can certainly be more insular.

Good nightlife (for occasional outings) - Plenty of nightlife options throughout the city and Metro region. Center City and Atlantic City are the hot spots. Again, pretty much every walkable area will have restaurants, clubs, theater, bars, etc.

Annual Events - What do you mean by this? Festivals, etc. Plenty of these all over the city. Diner en Blanc, South Street Festival, Made in America Festival, Welcome America/Fourth of July Festival, Chestnut Hill Harry Potter Festival... almost too many to name, again throughout the city and suburbs.
Parks

Kid Friendly (zoo, skating, swimming, biking, childcare) - Plenty to do including the zoo, aquarium, please touch museum, Franklin institute, Academy of Natural Sciences, etc. Plenty of parks, skating (ice skating and skate boarding), bike paths, childcare, swimming options, etc. etc. all throughout the region.

Urban - Easily the most urban of the group you listed. Plenty of walkable neighborhoods not only within the city, but in the suburbs as well. Center City, University City, Fairmount, Northern Liberties, Fishtown, Graduate Hospital, Queen Village, Bella Vista, Passyunk Square, East Passyunk Crossing, Spruce Hill, Cedar Park, Chestnut Hill, Manayunk, Roxborough, West Mount Airy, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Conshohocken, Jenkintown, Ambler, Doylestown, Newtown, Collingswood, Haddonfield, Media, Upper Darby, Phoenixville, Kennett Square, West Chester, Newark, Wilmington, Atlantic City, Ocean City, Stone Harbor, Wildwood, Cape May, etc. etc. etc.

Music Scene - popular live music scene not only in the city, but Atlantic City and the suburbs as well. Really all types of music with hip-hop, rock, EDM, Pop, Country, etc. etc.

Affordable housing (section 8 preference until I finish college) - Philadelphia can be expensive in Center City and University City, and getting less expensive as you go out. I would look in the Northwest part of the city, in maybe East or West Mount Airy, Germantown or East Falls. South Philly could offer some good options as well.

Scenic (beautiful areas) - Plenty including Fairmount Park, the Wissahickon Gorge, a lot of Montgomery, Bucks and Chester Counties. Valley Forge, Tyler Arboretum, Tyler State Park, etc. etc.

4 seasons - Very distinct four seasons. Chilly winters but not as bad as Boston/New England, or places like Chicago/Illinois, Montana, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. etc. Some snow fall, but not much. Usually one or two large snow storms a year only. Spring gets warmy but can be rainy and is when the leaves and flowers bloom. Summers can be warm and hot. Fall starts to cool off and the leaves turn colors and fall off the trees.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 09-02-2017 at 10:43 AM..

Old 09-02-2017, 12:20 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
I don't get that the OP is looking for a city with "spirit". Hosting the Olympics shouldn't sway a person's choice of where to live. Only Kansas City and Dallas have won super bowls. Their populations probably celebrated in the streets...ooo....I want to move there!!!
Hardly surprising that the concept of 'community' escapes you.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Hardly surprising that the concept of 'community' escapes you.
If that is what Atlanta thinks is "community", I'd say it's no more of a community your average sporting event.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:48 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
If that is what Atlanta thinks is "community", I'd say it's no more of a community your average sporting event.
And you would be wrong again, as you always are when it comes to Atlanta. The poll clearly confirms it.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
And you would be wrong again, as you always are when it comes to Atlanta. The poll clearly confirms it.
What poll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City