U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 04:13 PM

924 posts, read 904,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Without federal spending (military), SD's economy would look like Tampa. Sorry, can't hold a candle to Portland, which has carried itself on it's own.

Sorry, but SD is the midwest by the sea
San Diego has many weird shortcomings that I usually don't even try to defend, but Portland is where I draw the line. It's the weakest major city on the west coast. I'm sure we'll get the Basic Bro "but San Diego is big suburb" argument here, but the fact is that there are more people living in the core area of San Diego (92101-92116) than in the entire city of Portland, in a much smaller area. San Diego has three light rail lines, regional and intercity rail, two intermodal transit centers, and over 150 high rise buildings (vs. Portland's whopping 29).

Explain how Portland is "more urban", please.

As far as the convention center and comic-con....when was the last time there was ANY event other than an NBA game that attracted any attention in Portland? Exactly.

I'll give Portland the river and the air tram, that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 04:33 PM

3,927 posts, read 2,337,438 times
Would gladly live in either. I probably prefer the Portland weather.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:35 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,244,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
San Diego has many weird shortcomings that I usually don't even try to defend, but Portland is where I draw the line. It's the weakest major city on the west coast. I'm sure we'll get the Basic Bro "but San Diego is big suburb" argument here, but the fact is that there are more people living in the core area of San Diego (92101-92116) than in the entire city of Portland, in a much smaller area. San Diego has three light rail lines, regional and intercity rail, two intermodal transit centers, and over 150 high rise buildings (vs. Portland's whopping 29).

Explain how Portland is "more urban", please.

As far as the convention center and comic-con....when was the last time there was ANY event other than an NBA game that attracted any attention in Portland? Exactly.

I'll give Portland the river and the air tram, that's it.
Portland has higher density and feels more walkable, and had more TOD, mixed use zoning, etc.

Less polluted, more friendly. A multi million dollar TV show based just of Portland culture.

Powells bookstore... do people even read books in SD?

Portland just feels more real and alive, with a better vibe. SD is like OC and Sacramento had a baby. Touristy, but still kinda country bumpkin at heart, no identity, no personality. Nah on SD, it's basically a Sacramento by the sea.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:44 PM

4,636 posts, read 7,062,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
This is hardly true in current times. In the post-war era, San Diego was heavily military, maritime and aerospace but much has changed as SD has evolved.

The explosion of biomedical research on Torrey Pines mesa starting in the 1960s and the resultant biotech industry has made San Diego a world leader in the biomedical field. Torrey Pines mesa houses what is likely the largest concentration of biomedical research in the world. And within a 5 mile radius are about 1000 biotech companies. SD is one of the big three biotech clusters (whereas Portland doesn't register as a blip).

Similarly, the rise of Qualcomm has made SD the mecca for the telecommunications and wireless technology industry. SD is even more dominant in telecom than Seattle is for software.

Lesser known, SD is a leader in software development though focused on telecom and research.

SD is a leader in the cleantech space (even ahead of enviro-wacky Portland).

SD pulls in about $1.5B per year in venture capital (versus about $0.2B in Portland).

Manufacturing (primarily complex manufacturing like chips, med devices, etc) is now the leading sector in the SD economy.

So while SD is still the largest concentration of military in the world, the innovation economy greatly exceeds the military supported economy.

And of course with a huge convention center, attractive weather, beautiful setting SD has a very large tourism and hospitality component.

And finally, we make better beer here in SD!!!!!
Everything spot on and accurate.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:20 PM

924 posts, read 904,310 times
Quote:
Portland has higher density and feels more walkable, and had more TOD, mixed use zoning, etc.

Less polluted, more friendly. A multi million dollar TV show based just of Portland culture.

Portland just feels more real and alive, with a better vibe. SD is like OC and Sacramento had a baby. Touristy, but still kinda country bumpkin at heart, no identity, no personality. Nah on SD, it's basically a Sacramento by the sea.
Wow, this "by the sea" meme you've got going is really creative. I guess that's what separates people like you who move in the coolest circles and hang your hat in the hippest enclaves from people like me who live in San Diego.

So....the show Portlandia and Powell's? I think I can rest my case. Whatever Portland has, be it beer, coffee, music, food, San Diego has it, and probably has more of it. You might not look as pretentious consuming it, but we have it.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:26 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,380,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
This is hardly true in current times. In the post-war era, San Diego was heavily military, maritime and aerospace but much has changed as SD has evolved.

The explosion of biomedical research on Torrey Pines mesa starting in the 1960s and the resultant biotech industry has made San Diego a world leader in the biomedical field. Torrey Pines mesa houses what is likely the largest concentration of biomedical research in the world. And within a 5 mile radius are about 1000 biotech companies. SD is one of the big three biotech clusters (whereas Portland doesn't register as a blip).

Similarly, the rise of Qualcomm has made SD the mecca for the telecommunications and wireless technology industry. SD is even more dominant in telecom than Seattle is for software.

Lesser known, SD is a leader in software development though focused on telecom and research.

SD is a leader in the cleantech space (even ahead of enviro-wacky Portland).

SD pulls in about $1.5B per year in venture capital (versus about $0.2B in Portland).

Manufacturing (primarily complex manufacturing like chips, med devices, etc) is now the leading sector in the SD economy.

So while SD is still the largest concentration of military in the world, the innovation economy greatly exceeds the military supported economy.

And of course with a huge convention center, attractive weather, beautiful setting SD has a very large tourism and hospitality component.

And finally, we make better beer here in SD!!!!!
Great post. Sure San Diego has a relatively mediocre economy compared to places like Seattle or the Bay Area but we're talking about Portland here, a metro with an even more mediocre economy. It just easier to get by because it's so much cheaper in Portland. I've never seen someone try to tout the economy of Portland, especially over San Diego. Sounds like some people are completely clueless. Is Portland even known for any specific industry? Timber? lol

Old 09-04-2017, 09:46 AM

3,438 posts, read 2,244,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Wow, this "by the sea" meme you've got going is really creative. I guess that's what separates people like you who move in the coolest circles and hang your hat in the hippest enclaves from people like me who live in San Diego.

So....the show Portlandia and Powell's? I think I can rest my case. Whatever Portland has, be it beer, coffee, music, food, San Diego has it, and probably has more of it. You might not look as pretentious consuming it, but we have it.
Nah, SD is just lame. The city has no identity, no energy, it's just so dull. There is nothing to do there.

The food scene is SF is awful. Insanely over priced and mediocre. I mean thus is a place where they put french fries in burritos. SD has worse mexican food than LA, and they are right on the border!

Coffee? Not even close to Portland, or even Sacramento.

Only one pro team in SD. They could not convince MLS to give them soccer, with Qualcom sitting unused!!

Convension center in SD so dilapidated, they are moving comic con to Anahiem. Comic con WAS SD's identity.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:33 AM

403 posts, read 227,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Hey all,

Thought I'd post another thread here in the vs forum - this time, solely to hear the opinions of others. Below is a list of criteria to compare each city with, but feel free to elaborate further if you wish!

- Overall level of vibrancy
- Access to nature/nearby natural attractions
- Creative/cultural/entertainment amenities (Art galleries, music scene, events, etc.)
- Food scene
- Beer scene (These are two major players, thought it'd be fun to compare!)
- Social scene
- Dating scene
- Job market
- Public transit options
- Anything else worth noting.
I've been living in SD for the last 14 years. My brother and his family move to Portland 20 years ago and I've visited there several times/year and also get their perspective on Portland. Here's my take. For most of the things you listed above the two are about equal, though with some differences. Despite the big difference in the weather, the two cities are very much alike. Here's some more insight.

- Overall level of vibrancy - About the same. The metro areas are about the same size with compact downtowns surrounded by suburban-ish neighborhoods.

- Access to nature/nearby natural attractions - About the same. Both are in relatively mountainous areas with access to hiking, biking, etc. Portland is much closer to skiing in the winter. SD has the ocean. SD generally has better weather year round. Though Portland summers are gorgeous. Depends on what you like to do.

- Creative/cultural/entertainment amenities (Art galleries, music scene, events, etc.) - About the same. Neither is a major art venue , though both have . Portland likely has a better modern music scene. SD has a vibrant Broadway-type musical scene.

- Food scene - Again very similar. Both have evolved over the past 15 years from poor players to decent foodie scenes. Both are very farm-to-table oriented (with Portland being a bit extreme, a la the Portlandia scene ). Neither is known as a fine dining destination. Portland has a lot of food trucks. SD has a taco stand every 50 yards.

- Beer scene (These are two major players, thought it'd be fun to compare!) - Very similar. As you mention, they are likely ranked #1 and #2 with a lot of playful arguing over which is which. Portland supporters like to point out that there beer culture is more pervasive whereas SD supporters point out large number of spectacular breweries. You won't go thirsty in either place.

- Social scene - No opinion here. I'm a boring adults with teenagers. No time for social scene.

- Dating scene - Again, no opinion. Have heard that there are more men in SD, likely because of the military presence. Clearly there are more beautiful women in SD.

- Job market - Depends on your profession.

- Public transit options - Portland has a better public transit system.

- Anything else worth noting. - Choice will really depend on personal preferences.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:33 PM

20,865 posts, read 22,440,374 times
Quote:

"Multi million dollar TV show based just on Portland culture."
I'm assuming you're referring to "Grimm."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or