Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 01:02 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,502 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Thought I'd post another thread here in the vs forum - this time, solely to hear the opinions of others. Below is a list of criteria to compare each city with, but feel free to elaborate further if you wish!

- Overall level of vibrancy
- Access to nature/nearby natural attractions
- Creative/cultural/entertainment amenities (Art galleries, music scene, events, etc.)
- Food scene
- Beer scene (These are two major players, thought it'd be fun to compare!)
- Social scene
- Dating scene
- Job market
- Public transit options
- Anything else worth noting.

Last edited by JMT; 09-01-2017 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: Skyline discussions are not allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 07:07 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
I would rather live in San Diego.I like thats its warmer and sunnier ...i dont care about the beer scene in either city because i drink B-M-C beer.

Last edited by C24L; 09-01-2017 at 07:51 PM..

Old 09-01-2017, 07:49 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,891,915 times
I'm not going through a item by item comparison, but overall I think they are actually, (and probably surprisingly to many people) very similar. Each with compact, vibrant downtowns with lots of formerly scruffy areas now populated with new Mid-Rise developments including trendy condos, each having a very distinct water connection, Portland more working, river based, but don't count San Diego's port for its commercial activity. Also each very much defined by their dynamic geography/topography and mix of wild and urban areas right through the city with great Historic village neighborhoods defining much of the city core surrounding downtown. Also each has a great (top 5 or better) beer scene and emerging foodie scene- Portland probably a little more established that SD, but San Diego quickly catching up.

I was born in Vancouver, WA, my brother lives in Sellwood (I live in San Diego's version of it), my SO's uncle and Aunt live in landmark 12k sf Georgian mansion adjacent Washington Park on the top of the hill. I love and am very familiar with both cities, but, even in Portland I couldn't recreate what I have here in SD for less than $2M, and even then I would have to deal with 7 months of drizzle and couldn't swim with the Leopard sharks in La Jolla shores.

So for me, San Diego takes it.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:14 PM

828 posts, read 691,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Hey all,

Thought I'd post another thread here in the vs forum - this time, solely to hear the opinions of others. Below is a list of criteria to compare each city with, but feel free to elaborate further if you wish!

- Overall level of vibrancy
- Access to nature/nearby natural attractions
- Creative/cultural/entertainment amenities (Art galleries, music scene, events, etc.)
- Food scene
- Beer scene (These are two major players, thought it'd be fun to compare!)
- Social scene
- Dating scene
- Job market
- Public transit options
- Anything else worth noting.
-Overall level of vibrancy: San Diego. The weather encourages people to go out and about, and people going out is what makes a place vibrant. Plus Portland can be pretty gloomy at times.

-Access to nature: San Diego. Easily. Year round outdoor activities and miles of beach.

-Creative cultural entertainment: Portland. Definitely. Hipsters may be douche bags, but they have good taste, and Portland is full of hipsters.

-Food Scene: Portland. Same reason as above.

-Beer Scene: Portland. No contest.

-Dating Scene: Portland. San Diego is full of single dudes. Way too much extra testosterone makes any dating scene lame.

-Job Market: This is probably industry specific. I'm going to score this one a tie.

-Public Transit: Portland. Clear winner here.

-Anything else worth noting: based on these criteria, Portland wins. However, I still prefer San Diego because of items 1 and 2.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:01 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,008,931 times
Portland is much more urban, sophisticated, and liberal. This is not even close.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:43 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Portland is much more urban, sophisticated, and liberal. This is not even close.
How is it not close? San Diego can more than hold it's own, especially against Portland. It's a bigger city with more to offer imo.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:19 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Quote:
Great post. Very well reasoned.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
How is it not close? San Diego can more than hold it's own, especially against Portland. It's a bigger city with more to offer imo.
Without federal spending (military), SD's economy would look like Tampa. Sorry, can't hold a candle to Portland, which has carried itself on it's own.

Sorry, but SD is the midwest by the sea

Old 09-03-2017, 09:52 AM

1,052 posts, read 797,495 times
Quote:
Without federal spending (military), SD's economy would look like Tampa. Sorry, can't hold a candle to Portland, which has carried itself on it's own.

Sorry, but SD is the midwest by the sea
This is hardly true in current times. In the post-war era, San Diego was heavily military, maritime and aerospace but much has changed as SD has evolved.

The explosion of biomedical research on Torrey Pines mesa starting in the 1960s and the resultant biotech industry has made San Diego a world leader in the biomedical field. Torrey Pines mesa houses what is likely the largest concentration of biomedical research in the world. And within a 5 mile radius are about 1000 biotech companies. SD is one of the big three biotech clusters (whereas Portland doesn't register as a blip).

Similarly, the rise of Qualcomm has made SD the mecca for the telecommunications and wireless technology industry. SD is even more dominant in telecom than Seattle is for software.

Lesser known, SD is a leader in software development though focused on telecom and research.

SD is a leader in the cleantech space (even ahead of enviro-wacky Portland).

SD pulls in about $1.5B per year in venture capital (versus about $0.2B in Portland).

Manufacturing (primarily complex manufacturing like chips, med devices, etc) is now the leading sector in the SD economy.

So while SD is still the largest concentration of military in the world, the innovation economy greatly exceeds the military supported economy.

And of course with a huge convention center, attractive weather, beautiful setting SD has a very large tourism and hospitality component.

And finally, we make better beer here in SD!!!!!

Old 09-03-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
This is hardly true in current times. In the post-war era, San Diego was heavily military, maritime and aerospace but much has changed as SD has evolved.

The explosion of biomedical research on Torrey Pines mesa starting in the 1960s and the resultant biotech industry has made San Diego a world leader in the biomedical field. Torrey Pines mesa houses what is likely the largest concentration of biomedical research in the world. And within a 5 mile radius are about 1000 biotech companies. SD is one of the big three biotech clusters (whereas Portland doesn't register as a blip).

Similarly, the rise of Qualcomm has made SD the mecca for the telecommunications and wireless technology industry. SD is even more dominant in telecom than Seattle is for software.

Lesser known, SD is a leader in software development though focused on telecom and research.

SD is a leader in the cleantech space (even ahead of enviro-wacky Portland).

SD pulls in about $1.5B per year in venture capital (versus about $0.2B in Portland).

Manufacturing (primarily complex manufacturing like chips, med devices, etc) is now the leading sector in the SD economy.

So while SD is still the largest concentration of military in the world, the innovation economy greatly exceeds the military supported economy.

And of course with a huge convention center, attractive weather, beautiful setting SD has a very large tourism and hospitality component.

And finally, we make better beer here in SD!!!!!
LOL just stop.

Tourism and Military make up the largest employment sectors of SD.

Conventiom center? You mean the convention centee they can't expand? To the point that comic con is thinking of moving to Anahiem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City