Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region Do You Perfer?
Midwest 119 50.00%
Southeast 119 50.00%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:54 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Charleston, Savannah, Baltimore (technically), New Orleans are all historic Southern cities. Charleston was a top 5 US city in the early 1800s. New Orleans was as well in the early and mid 1800s. So was Baltimore too, I think.

There are many small towns with historic architecture in the South, Charlottesville (the source of so much current news) is a great example.
I was going to say that about Baltimore, no city in the Midwest not named Chicago comes close to Baltimore's built environment. Also throw in both Wilmington's, and the other cities you mentioned such as New Orleans and Richmond. The Midwest cities were not burned to the ground either, so there is that as well.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:15 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I'm including cities like Chicago, Cincy, and St.Louis...

Richmond, New Orleans, Savannah, Birmingham, Atlanta, Miami, Charleston, etc. all have very different and distinct architectures/influences. Honestly, I don't see the Midwest with that much diversity to the point were you can visit each city, and visually pin point the major differences between the architectures.
Did you read my post? It seems clear that this is all your opinion, and you may not be very informed, especially if you can't "pin point" any major differences in Midwest cities. List the styles of architecture in the South, do the same for the Midwest. Which has more? Which one are in one but not the other? Until then, you're just misrepresenting your opinion as fact.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:44 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
I prefer the Midwest for pretty much any of the criteria listed.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:53 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I'm not gonna get into the whole "Is Florida Southern?" topic, that crap's been done to death more than half a million times, but for Texas? You ain't even been there and you're saying Houston and Dallas are not southern anymore? What are they then? Houston is EXTREMELY southern, and is located at the western edge of the most "deep south" part of the state. Dallas is very southern too, more so in the way Oklahoma City is (plains southern) so I don't see how its not southern. I can tell you've never been there, or you wouldn't say something so silly. Also, Texans of Mexican descent are just as southern as anyone else.
Most the major Sun Belt cities retain little of the character of the surrounding regions anymore.

I don't live in Nashville, but have been down there quite a few times since moving back to Tennessee last year. The urban neighborhoods, aside from the touristy country music scene, don't feel Southern at all. You seem to hear more Chicago accents than Southern accents. Franklin and Brentwood don't feel much different than the affluent suburbs of Indianapolis where I lived.

Many people say Charlotte and Raleigh don't feel Southern. Most of these big magnet cities are basically anywhere USA now because they are populated with people from everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Great points. That's why Chattanooga will slip a few spots further down the totem pole. Knoxville is largely stable, and with the state's flagship university, and Oak Ridge, I see more positive growth in the future. The Nashville region is the fast growth area in all aspects. Cities such as Franklin and Murfreesboro will become more urban in the future, attracting many new white collar jobs, major retail, commercial, and residential developments. They are far from the sleepy suburbs they used to be. People who haven't been to those areas in over ten years may be surprised at the growth. Clarksville will likely grow as well, but retain more of a rural, suburban character with blue collar jobs. Clarksville reminds me of Evansville/Southern Illinois/Indiana to some extent.
While the phenomenon of jobs consolidating in a state's biggest metro or two is not unique to Tennessee, Nashville getting a far larger share of the prosperity than its share of the state's population is not good for the rest of the state. One flagship city with most everywhere else flat to declining doesn't make the state healthy.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:04 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
The economic issue is why I would give the Southeast the edge, even though I love both parts of the country. These parts of the country are so distinct, and in my view are America at its finest.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:10 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Most the major Sun Belt cities retain little of the character of the surrounding regions anymore.

I don't live in Nashville, but have been down there quite a few times since moving back to Tennessee last year. The urban neighborhoods, aside from the touristy country music scene, don't feel Southern at all. You seem to hear more Chicago accents than Southern accents. Franklin and Brentwood don't feel much different than the affluent suburbs of Indianapolis where I lived.

Many people say Charlotte and Raleigh don't feel Southern. Most of these big magnet cities are basically anywhere USA now because they are populated with people from everywhere.

While the phenomenon of jobs consolidating in a state's biggest metro or two is not unique to Tennessee, Nashville getting a far larger share of the prosperity than its share of the state's population is not good for the rest of the state. One flagship city with most everywhere else flat to declining doesn't make the state healthy.
Agree with your entire post. It is not good for one city to be the economic engine for the entire state. Tennessee could do much better supporting its other metro areas. The worst offenders are Chattanooga and Clarksville to some degree. Both of those cities have the worst infrastructure considering their size. I sat in traffic in Chattanooga for 1 hour on a Sunday afternoon trying to get back home headed on I-24 West. It was backed up all the way from Rossville, GA all the way to Lake Nickajack. There are no loops or limited access routes. I had to take highways 58 and 41 through Lookout Mountain to get around the mess, or drive an extra two hours out of the way taking 127 north to 70 south through McMinnville (that is a pretty drive, however). It took me 2 1/2 hours to get to home, when usually it is an 1hour 15 minutes. Clarksville has a high rate of traffic accidents due to the small road network, and at grade intersections. Memphis and Knoxville are about were they should be. Nashville's road network is very outdated as well, especially downtown. Murfreesboro...sigh lol.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:33 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Did you read my post? It seems clear that this is all your opinion, and you may not be very informed, especially if you can't "pin point" any major differences in Midwest cities. List the styles of architecture in the South, do the same for the Midwest. Which has more? Which one are in one but not the other? Until then, you're just misrepresenting your opinion as fact.
It’s self explanotory.

Each of those cities I listed are known for their unique architecture within the Southeast.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:47 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Colleges/Universities

I think the Midwest wins pretty solidly here. There are plenty of good schools in the South, but where the midwest wins is that in addition to having great private schools, is that the quality of Big 10 schools is academically superior to the SEC in general.
There are more than SEC schools in the south to include the ACC schools and private schools like Furman, Davidson, Emory, Mercer and Elon, not that there is anything wrong with SEC schools. All these colleges have accredited programs.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:11 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,946 times
The southeast does not have northern winters, northern autumn, northern lakes, northern summers or northern forests. Therefore it is unacceptable to me.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:52 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The southeast does not have northern winters, northern autumn, northern lakes, northern summers or northern forests. Therefore it is unacceptable to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City