Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:51 AM

381 posts, read 277,433 times

Advertisements

Hi,never asked CD posters about my holiday plans before.Usually trip advisor etc but,i thought i would see the comments from people on CD.We will have 2 weeks to visit next year and would like to visit somewhere U.K. tourists, i think rarely visit.I will of course do my homework but would like some "boosters"of said cities to persuade me to come to your city.September would be the time of our visit.We are still active sixty+, no specific interests and open to all suggestions. Look forward to comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 08:12 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
What do you look for in your travels? Art? Performing arts? Scenery? A wide variety of ethnic restaurants? Participatory sports like rock-climbing, skiing, SCUBA, etc.? Spectator sports? Motorsports? Shopping? Historic sites?

And have you considered there might be valid reasons why some areas draw little in the way of tourists?

Personally, although it perhaps draws too many to interest you, if I was intent on time in the mid-west, my choice would be Chicago. Great city for music, food, a wonderful art museum, science museum, architecture, great walking city, and in September, a lovely shoreline on Lake Michigan.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:25 AM

381 posts, read 277,433 times
Yes i realise that some states(we have visited 35 states)do not have the "Wow" major attractions but there are bound to be highlights unique to the above cities. At 60+ participating sports like rock climbing ain't high on our list of things to do.Some days i can hardly climb out of bed!. No disrespect. Just wanting to visit places where overseas tourists rarely seem to venture. Shopping for the wife,historic sites for me and a good restaurant/beer scene. Nothing fancy eating wise. Just looking for a few informed comments from posters who live in those cities.Its alright to warn us off visiting these cities as well!.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-17-2017 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Forum has been moved, fixed formatting issue of no space between sentences.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:36 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
Yes i realise that some states(we have visited 35 states)do not have the "Wow" major attractions but there are bound to be highlights unique to the above cities.At 60+ participating sports like rock climbing ain't high on our list of things to do.Some days i can hardly climb out of bed!.No disrespect.Just wanting to visit places where overseas tourists rarely seem to venture.Shopping for the wife,historic sites for me and a good restaurant/beer scene.Nothing fancy eating wise.Just looking for a few informed comments from posters who live in those cities.Its alright to warn us off visiting these cities as well!.
Perhaps, if you can get the right deal on a rental car, you'd enjoy touring the general area you're talking about? Cities are interesting but given the opportunity, so is life in the various small towns between them.

No personal experience but I used to talk with someone several times a week who regaled me with enough stories of the quad-cities area to put it on my 'to visit' list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_Cities

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-17-2017 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Edited quote

Old 10-17-2017, 08:40 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
I am not from either place, but I have visited both, and my vote would be Minneapolis/St. Paul. Among other things, the countryside is much prettier, should you venture outside the city limits. Lake country.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:44 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Minneapolis if its not Jan/Feb.
None of the above if it is Jan/Feb.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:52 AM

86 posts, read 73,613 times
I agree with others. Minneapolis. It's smaller than Chicago and is more concentrated with activities. There are certain parts of Minneapolis that are for the younger crowd, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy it. It's slower paced than Chicago.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:50 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
really a tough choice...

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2128

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11487

Old 10-17-2017, 02:49 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
You can spend two weeks in the Minneapolis - St. Paul area and not run out of things to do whereas you would struggle after two or three days in Omaha and Des Moines. Message me and I will send you a list of things to do.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:13 PM

340 posts, read 609,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Minneapolis if its not Jan/Feb.
None of the above if it is Jan/Feb.
Agree with this 100%!

Also, if going to Minneapolis-St. Paul when the weather is nice, you might also want to go up to Duluth/North Shore area or Bayfield, Wisconsin/Apostle Islands area (both areas are on Lake Superior). Also, Lake Pepin area in southern MN is a really pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City