Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 03:42 PM

229 posts, read 186,428 times

Advertisements

I'm asking beacuase I was in Boston recently and happen to be from that general area. Boston is still growing it seems, but not with many highrise buildings. I have not visited Seattle since 1999, but a relative who moved there from New England last year sent a recent photo of the amount of cranes in doowntown Seattle. He is sort of awestruck by the rate of growth the downtown area is experiencing. He calls it the "Blade Runner" City. Is Seattle at Boston's level as far as built environment, city feel, etc., or does the city still have a long way to go to get there? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 04:22 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,813,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
I'm asking beacuase I was in Boston recently and happen to be from that general area. Boston is still growing it seems, but not with many highrise buildings. I have not visited Seattle since 1999, but a relative who moved there from New England last year sent a recent photo of the amount of cranes in doowntown Seattle. He is sort of awestruck by the rate of growth the downtown area is experiencing. He calls it the "Blade Runner" City. Is Seattle at Boston's level as far as built environment, city feel, etc., or does the city still have a long way to go to get there? Thanks.
I did a quick check Boston has 57 buildings over 300 ft .Seattle has 76. Only comparing tall buildings.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:32 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,270,094 times
Tall buildings (especially Skyscrapers) are overrated IMHO. Not sure why they are always equated to city-feel and what makes a city a city......

Old 10-27-2017, 05:32 PM

61 posts, read 78,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
In terms of skyline, Seattle is more impressive for sure and it is seeing incredible growth. For a relatively new city, Seattle (particularly the core) has a good built environment and big city feel, but its urban fabric is not as good as Boston's by any stretch. In terms of urbanity, big city feel, walkability, etc. Boston is still a level above Seattle.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:22 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,813,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric324 View Post
In terms of skyline, Seattle is more impressive for sure and it is seeing incredible growth. For a relatively new city, Seattle (particularly the core) has a good built environment and big city feel, but its urban fabric is not as good as Boston's by any stretch. In terms of urbanity, big city feel, walkability, etc. Boston is still a level above Seattle.
I would agree but this thread is just comparing downtown's not whole city. With that said I would say both downtown's are equal . If need be we can compare built environment like total office space , total hotel rooms, total work force downtown and total population downtown.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:30 PM

229 posts, read 186,428 times
Thanks all for the repsonses. I do need to get out again as soon as possible. Sounds like Seattle is the epitome of a city that is booming.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:37 PM

8,794 posts, read 6,722,659 times
Downtown Boston has finer-grained, more consistent, more walkable urbanity. Downtown Seattle might be its equal in mass and is catching up quickly in quality terms. I'd say Boston for now, but in two years the answer might be different.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:38 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,911,156 times
Downtown Seattle is more inviting than downtown Boston. Downtown Boston is more urban. If we expanded both neighborhoods to include Belltown and The Back Bay, Boston would get the nod.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:19 PM

36,957 posts, read 38,947,889 times
They're not that far off from each other, but Boston is still ahead and probably will be for the near future, though it'll be interesting to see what happens when the Alaska Way Viaduct replacement tunnel is finished and the waterfront becomes better connected with downtown Seattle.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:35 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,385,155 times
I understand Seattle is booming, but Boston is also building an entire downtown adjacent neighborhood. The South Boston Waterfront/ Seaport District, I'm not sure if they have decided on a name. It was a bunch of old seaport rail yards then parking lots for downtown. Unfortunately it is airport limited height. So all the buildings are 20 stories or less. It won't look good on a post card, but hopefully it will look good from the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City