Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you live in?
Bristol, TN 6 21.43%
Lynchburg, VA 13 46.43%
Greenville, NC 9 32.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 11:23 AM

66 posts, read 61,924 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to one of these cities in one year from now. Fiance will have the opportunity to choose one of these cities for his job promotion and we are trying to narrow down our choice. For anyone who has been to these cities or lived in them, what are the pros and cons? We are in our middle 20s, love nature and the outdoors, don't care much for the party scene, and would like a lower COL compared to where we live now (Southwest Florida). Do these cities tend to get cold and miserable summers along with hot summers like those of Florida? I have seen the city data for each and it seems they are reasonable I'm temperature for most of the year. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 03:10 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Other people could better describe the pros and cons of Greenville, NC, and Bristol, TN. I've never been to those 2, so can't comment. Lynchburg is a nice small city, and is best known for having Randolph(formerly Randolph-Macon) College within that city. And of course, the Jerry Falwell founded religious Liberty University is there as well. It also unfortunately was where a freight railroad accident occurred a few years ago, where oil railcars spilled oil into the James River. Sad, since I once ate at the nice restaurant(forget the name of it) that was basically next door to where that accident happened. Lynchburg also has the advantage, of having both national and local Amtrak train service from there. There's a regional Amtrak line that was recently extended to Roanoke, and also can take you north all the way into Charlottesville, DC, Baltimore, Philly, and other places up to New York City. For national Amtrak service, it's served by the Crescent Amtrak route that runs between NYC and New Orleans, and serves other cities along the way south such as Charlotte, Atlanta, and Birmingham.

If you do move to Lynchburg, it does have a limited restaurant and bar scene. Not a lot, but some do exist. Check out the Texas Inn late one night and order a cheesy western there, and also go to Silver Pig in nearby Madison Heights, VA for some great barbecue!

Old 10-29-2017, 06:22 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Not really sure why Lynchburg is running away with this. I wasn't too impressed with it when I was there.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Other people could better describe the pros and cons of Greenville, NC, and Bristol, TN. I've never been to those 2, so can't comment. Lynchburg is a nice small city, and is best known for having Randolph(formerly Randolph-Macon) College within that city. And of course, the Jerry Falwell founded religious Liberty University is there as well. It also unfortunately was where a freight railroad accident occurred a few years ago, where oil railcars spilled oil into the James River. Sad, since I once ate at the nice restaurant(forget the name of it) that was basically next door to where that accident happened. Lynchburg also has the advantage, of having both national and local Amtrak train service from there. There's a regional Amtrak line that was recently extended to Roanoke, and also can take you north all the way into Charlottesville, DC, Baltimore, Philly, and other places up to New York City. For national Amtrak service, it's served by the Crescent Amtrak route that runs between NYC and New Orleans, and serves other cities along the way south such as Charlotte, Atlanta, and Birmingham.

If you do move to Lynchburg, it does have a limited restaurant and bar scene. Not a lot, but some do exist. Check out the Texas Inn late one night and order a cheesy western there, and also go to Silver Pig in nearby Madison Heights, VA for some great barbecue!
The Amtrak sounds so nice to have! Thank you for all the good info!!

Old 11-02-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Not really sure why Lynchburg is running away with this. I wasn't too impressed with it when I was there.
If you wouldn't mind, could you explain why you weren't impressed?

Old 11-03-2017, 12:53 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Lynchburg is best.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:20 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd2357 View Post
If you wouldn't mind, could you explain why you weren't impressed?
It just seemed really boring and kind of run down in spots.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:43 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I live near Bristol. All three are very meh.

Bristol is very Rust Belt, but has some lovely mountain views and is surrounded by wonderful lakes and outdoor recreation is excellent. Jobs/pay are a problem. No state income tax. It's extremely isolated compared to the other two.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:56 PM

387 posts, read 515,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I live near Bristol. All three are very meh.

Bristol is very Rust Belt, but has some lovely mountain views and is surrounded by wonderful lakes and outdoor recreation is excellent. Jobs/pay are a problem. No state income tax. It's extremely isolated compared to the other two.
Just the spent the night in Bristol, interesting area with 2 states divided by State St. Stayed on the Va. side but went downtown to look around. Not really much down there, several empty store fronts, couple of bars, bagel shop, nice library. Pretty views, new shopping district with big box stores, chain restaurants on Lee Highway Va.side. The Motor speedway turns the area into a hot spot a couple times a year. You do feel a sense of isolation I guess without a train to connect you to a metro area. House prices seemed low, 2 different tax systems with Tennessee being no income tax but higher sales tax. Va. complete opposite, must be be fun for tax preparers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City