Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has played on or play on it's Urban Country / Southern Culture best?
ATLANTA 3 9.38%
DALLAS / FORT WORTH 3 9.38%
NASHVILLE 26 81.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:33 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times

Advertisements

Nashville is definitely the most "country" of the three.

Atlanta is the most "Deep South" even with it becoming more diverse over the years. The burbs along I-20 and to the South do have more of a "country" feel.

Dallas is the least Southern and country of the 3 listed and it's also the biggest and most diverse. When you get this far West, things just start to blend more culturally. Dallas also considers itself to be the Southwest, so that adds a different cultural layer as well. Tourists in Dallas may see things like the bar in Uptown called "Concrete Cowboy" and think it's a country bar, but that term is actually related to white collar sales persons who travel for work. Dallas is also probably the least "Texas" feeling big city in the state as well. In this area, Fort Worth would be the most country or "western" culture city around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I agree soul food is Atlanta is not that great, but I grew up part time in Mississippi where everyone swears they're the best soul food cooks, so maybe I'm spoiled...LOL.

Also, I do see your point about why you feel DFW is more country than ATL though. I guess I'm looking at it from a "feel" pov, because even though Atl seemed to embrace urbanity more than DFW, it still feels more country than DFW to me, but that's so subjective. Because Atl did embrace heavy rail back in the 70s and seems to have more high-density/multifamily development than DFW overall. This is kind of trivial, but I've noticed that there are far more townhomes/condos in Atlanta all the way into the suburbs moreso than DFW (and even Houston). It seems like the starter home is more popular in the Texas metros.
Umm... I'm not quite sure that's a true statement. The Central Expressway and Dallas North Tollway corridors are very heavily developed way up into the burbs. Highrise condos and apartments are going up in Plano and Frisco these days.

Intown Atlanta has a lot more single family homes and lower density acreage than Central Dallas or within the loop in Houston. There's entire neighborhoods full of single family homes right in Midtown Atlanta even. Outside the main areas of Atlanta even within the perimeter you have a lot of rural looking areas that are heavily wooded with winding two lane roads with no sidewalks and single family homes are set far back off of the road. You just don't really see that in Dallas or Houston. The overall population density is a bit less too. Certain areas of Midtown have good density, but I wouldn't say that's the norm. Even the burbs in DFW have higher density in population and office/retail development as is the case in Houston as well.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Understand, I'm not arguing which is "more country" but which has played on its country flavor the best, or which has integrated more elements of the country/rural areas into its identity which is the topic of the thread. I think culturally, you get a good fusion of urban and rural Texas in the Metroplex and that's probably because Texas overall has a distinct cultural flair whereas Georgia just has more of a general Southern flair so there's nothing really distinct to embrace that would lend itself to a more recognizable identity.
This is true.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:32 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,475,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Nashville is definitely the most "country" of the three.

Atlanta is the most "Deep South" even with it becoming more diverse over the years. The burbs along I-20 and to the South do have more of a "country" feel.

Dallas is the least Southern and country of the 3 listed and it's also the biggest and most diverse. When you get this far West, things just start to blend more culturally. Dallas also considers itself to be the Southwest, so that adds a different cultural layer as well. Tourists in Dallas may see things like the bar in Uptown called "Concrete Cowboy" and think it's a country bar, but that term is actually related to white collar sales persons who travel for work. Dallas is also probably the least "Texas" feeling big city in the state as well. In this area, Fort Worth would be the most country or "western" culture city around.

I guess no matter how we look at these Southern Gems, All 3 are Booming Southern Sunbelt Metros of Today and are unique enough in their own way to get big Companies like Amazon's Attention

Old 01-27-2018, 04:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Southern =/= country

Dallas fully embraces cowboy culture and in that way, it ranks above Atlanta.
Exactly this. Dallas might be outranked by Fort Worth in this regard in the state, maybe even by San Antonio and Houston as well. But all Texans and even transplants get into the cowboy thing here in Texas. It just isn't done in Atlanta. Not at all. Despite Burt Reynolds' best efforts in the 70s with all his locally made movies and country flavor.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:20 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Exactly this. Dallas might be outranked by Fort Worth in this regard in the state, maybe even by San Antonio and Houston as well. But all Texans and even transplants get into the cowboy thing here in Texas. It just isn't done in Atlanta. Not at all. Despite Burt Reynolds' best efforts in the 70s with all his locally made movies and country flavor.
Yeah, I mean Dallas is still part of (or on the edge of) the great plains and is more Western, both culturally and of course geographically than the other two.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:41 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,475,555 times
Quote:

Yep, Burt Reynolds, (John Schneider, Catherine Bach, and Tom Wopat ) all played up Country in Atlanta with Smokey and the Bandit and the Dukes of Hazzard back the 70's and early 80's... Then Burt Reynolds brought that city flavor of Atlanta out as a Vice cop in Sharkey Machine...

Old 01-30-2018, 08:24 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
South Dallas, IMO, is very country. I was very surprised to find that out when I moved to Dallas for work. Atlanta is more urban than Dallas because of its compactness. But it too has a counrty flavor to it. But as others said it is mostly at the fringes. I think Nashville wins this one easily.
Dallas is a little more compact than Atlanta.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:47 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas is a little more compact than Atlanta.
By what measurement?

Old 01-30-2018, 11:19 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
By what measurement?
Doesn't Dallas slightly have a higher density not only in the city but in the metro area? Unless you and him means compact in a different way in totality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City