Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has played on or play on it's Urban Country / Southern Culture best?
ATLANTA 3 9.38%
DALLAS / FORT WORTH 3 9.38%
NASHVILLE 26 81.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 05:34 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,445,528 times

Advertisements

Atlanta, Dallas or Nashville? Which of these cities play or have played on it's City/ Country Flavor the best. I know we all think of these 3 as up and coming Cosmopolitan cities of the 21st century but they have always been viewed as somewhat county or have or had a country flavor on some level and believe it or not on some level has and have played up on it, which is not a bad thing. A lot of the young heads may be too young to remember Atlanta's affiliation with the Dukes of Hazzard, Smokey and the Bandit, Sharkey Machine, etc. Back in the day hanging with your country cousin's etc. It was more Atlanta and Nashville as far as Record companies and the go to cities of the South for music discovery. Atlanta started to break off more hip hop and Nashville started learning more country music production as well as gospel but both big it their own right. Even southern black culture is big in both Cities. Then there is Dallas which have played on the Cowboy images for years, it's a them of sorts for the City,, remember Dallas..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 05:47 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,843,733 times
I've never thought of Atlanta or Nashville as cosmopolitan. As far as country, definitely, Nashville.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:05 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,215,327 times
I think the clear answer is Nashville. Country music and all that.

I don't associate Atlanta with being country at all, more so with hiphop. Southern, ya, country, no.

I've never really personally ever though of Dallas as country, even before moving here. I always knew it was a big Texan city, and I guess I associated Texan and country as not necessarily the same thing. I used to see the skyline for sports games, seemed pretty big city to me. I think the Dallas stereotype is more of the flashy, oil money, big fake boobs and nice cars thing which are more big city things to me than "country" anyhow.

Fort Worth has more of the cowboy culture than Dallas, from what I understand it always has.

San Antonio has a more of cowboy culture than Dallas. Dallas is actually probably the least stereotypical Texan large city, Houston at least still has the stock show.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I think the clear answer is Nashville. Country music and all that.

I don't associate Atlanta with being country at all, more so with hiphop. Southern, ya, country, no.

I've never really personally ever though of Dallas as country, even before moving here. I always knew it was a big Texan city, and I guess I associated Texan and country as not necessarily the same thing. I used to see the skyline for sports games, seemed pretty big city to me. I think the Dallas stereotype is more of the flashy, oil money, big fake boobs and nice cars thing which are more big city things to me than "country" anyhow.

Fort Worth has more of the cowboy culture than Dallas, from what I understand it always has.

San Antonio has a more of cowboy culture than Dallas. Dallas is actually probably the least stereotypical Texan large city, Houston at least still has the stock show.
Let me be clear, Southern/ Country aspect..That can be in Hip hop or Country music flavor., black or white..Sorry to tell you but its still plenty country/ southern image still in Atlanta..When it comes to this its more about an image thing or advertising thing even on the Nashville side of things. All three are diverse cities regardless

Old 11-09-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Let me be clear, Southern/ Country aspect..That can be in Hip hop or Country music flavor., black or white..Sorry to tell you but its still plenty country/ southern image still in Atlanta..When it comes to this its more about an image thing or advertising thing even on the Nashville side of things. All three are diverse cities regardless
I'm confused, are you trying to argue that country and southern at the same thing so Atlanta is still country by virtue of being southern? I'm sure there are plenty of "hicks" in the greater Atlanta area but that doesn't make the city super county except maybe in some far flung burbs.

You realize Atlanta is one of the least country parts of the south, right? Georgia might be pretty country outside of the major cities, but Atlanta probably has the least country image of these 3 cities.

Country isn't the same thing as Southern which of course should be self explanatory.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I'm confused, are you trying to argue that country and southern at the same thing so Atlanta is still country by virtue of being southern? I'm sure there are plenty of "hicks" in the greater Atlanta area but that doesn't make the city super county except maybe in some far flung burbs.

You realize Atlanta is one of the least country parts of the south, right? Georgia might be pretty country outside of the major cities, but Atlanta probably has the least country image of these 3 cities.

Country isn't the same thing as Southern which of course should be self explanatory.
All opinions, all opinions, different view points here.. I can get your view point as well... I think people get real irritated with being called country or southern sometimes, almost as if its a bad stigma to be affiliated with, in some aspects its embraced.. Interesting though

Old 11-10-2017, 07:45 AM

I have cousins who are farmers in Iowa who like lil wayne. That doesn't make lil wayne country, but they sure are. (Making their living off the land, hunting, fishing, 4H etc)

Are you trying to say Southern Rap is a form of country?

I could be mistaken, but I don't very many people think of Atlanta as a country hotspot, music or otherwise. Nashville, absolutely. Dallas, maybe sorta, but deff not Atlanta.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I have cousins who are farmers in Iowa who like lil wayne. That doesn't make lil wayne country, but they sure are. (Making their living off the land, hunting, fishing, 4H etc)

Are you trying to say Southern Rap is a form of country?

I could be mistaken, but I don't very many people think of Atlanta as a country hotspot, music or otherwise. Nashville, absolutely. Dallas, maybe sorta, but deff not Atlanta.

Guess I'm kinda viewing Country/ Southern in the same Vortex even though I know it can get a little confusing. People from up North say people from Atlanta are country all the time but I don't think they are referring to Farm Animals in the Urban City, more or less about a dialect, image of sorts and some times style. None of these Cities have farm animals in the City so just wanted to clear that up. I will say and can agree Atlanta has done it's best the most of the three to distance it's self from being southern in current day more so than of year's and decades past, especially (ITP) IMO. I think a lot of that has to due with the large amount of Transplants Atlanta received from the Northeast, especially New York area and the Midwest. Atlanta is Unique to be in the heart of Dixie to say the least. Nashville on the other end has kinda taken Southern and made it more a way of Advertising, boosting Country Music even though its a very diverse city and far more than just Country music. I can say back in the day when Outkast were the hit thing in Atlanta, they kind of made being Southern more a hit and mainstream as well.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:57 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,089,407 times
Atlanta is not country. What on earth are you talking about.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:05 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,124,490 times
In the context that youre using the word country in (which I agree with your use of it here) I think Atlanta is the most country, followed by Nashville, and then Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City