U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,230,958 times

Advertisements

I think this is a very bad comparison.
More like LA VS Miami.
Miami has a lot more problems than San Diego and is a lot dirtier.
If you include Tijuana in the metro area, Tijuana would be the Miami and SD would be the equivalent of Ft Lauderdale/WPB.
The Miami area has a lot more people than SD and is regarding as a much more influential/global city.
When I was in SD, it felt much smaller than it actually is.
I also thought it was much more beautiful and Mediterranean feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 05:30 PM

5,619 posts, read 13,301,589 times
I agree with your post, Wilshire, except for comparing SD to WPB. WPB is quite unsafe, while SD doesn't have many bad areas.

And to urbandeco:
I agree with almost everything you said.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:41 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,521,656 times
I think the title of most tropical city in America is still held by Honolulu,not Miami, and i don't think that'll change anytime soon And I don't know about you guys, but I am DEFINATLY not a rapper lol, i play metal, which Miami unfortunately lacks. San Diego gets the edge there, because they have Cattle Decapitation!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,702 times
Default If you are not originally from Miami do not ove there

I was born and raised in Miami and hated most of it. It contains the absolute rudest, most miserable people I have ever encountered and I have traveled quite a bit. The Cubans are out of control with their sense of entitlement and completely discriminate against white people, even if you speak Spanish fluently.

The traffic is horrendous and I do not mean the amount of it, like L.A. I am referring to the utter obstacle course you must teeter through with the precision of a brain surgeon. It is so amazing that anytime, no fail, I am on the phone with a friend or family member from Miami, they describe some amazing stunt just pulled by a fellow driver.

The heat is often unbearable and the humid is substantial. If you have to wear professional attire to work expect to have it dry cleaned much more regularly, even if you park 20 ft from your office's door.

Miami is also very unsafe and volatile. Car jackings, home invasions, auto thefts, muggings, are all common occurrences, usually touching someone you know within one degree of separation. San Diego has given me a (maybe naive) sense of safety.

The only nice thing I can say about Miami is that the ocean is lovely, the water accessible, and the direct flights to a multitude destinations abundant. I love it only because I have roots there.

I have recently escaped the chaos and set up in San Diego. It was my first visit to CA ever, and it definitely has not been in accord with everything I imagined (as to be expected). It is stunningly beautiful in many parts, the people are way more helpful and intelligent in most places, and the traffic is like Miami in 1910 (although many San Diegans do not believe me).

My car insurance went down $300 and I have found rent to be comparable if not a bit more reasonable (mainly because there is a greater selection od safe and desirable neighborhoods in SD). I am getting the grass was always greener until it dried up and burned syndrome, however. I feel like the surfer culture is a little lame and the bars are filled with the collegey types--Miami's bar crowd is much worse, not collegey but old or sleazy.

There is a majority of conservative/religious/military here unlike most of CA. This is not my crowd so that detracts from San Diego's overall appeal. The job market in San Diego seems to be completely CLOSED, at least for me. I believe that may have to do with the fact that my network is extremely weak.

Now that I have completely killed the mood for both places, I feel better about my decision to try them both out. I would be happy to go into even more detail if anyone would like to PM me.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 AM

1,572 posts, read 5,508,116 times
San Diego. It's near the mountains. It is cooler (and much less humid) than Miami in the summer and it is almost as warm as Miami in the winter. And if you grow tired of the beach and the mountains, you can always drive an hour east and visit the desert. That said, Miami is more of a glamour-city (South Beach, at least), so if that is something that is important, the choice should really be between Miami and Los Angeles.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:26 AM

102 posts, read 408,195 times
Definitely San Diego. It is cleaner, safer, and I don't think the traffic is quite as bad as Miami. I like the weather better in SD as well because it is a little bit cooler. The topology is nicer too with mountains and cliffs by the coast. As far as high cost of living goes, it really depends on who you are. Not everyone is looking to buy a house. A lot of people rent and can live comfortably in SD without having to buy a house.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:57 PM

854 posts, read 2,481,517 times
Funny that I've read a couple of times now that Miami is a dirty city. How come Forbes magazine voted Miami as America's cleanest city? Yes, if you look at the Alley behind a restaurant you might find a couple bags of trash, but I don't see any trash on the side of the road or stuff like that. The air is also very clean (especially compared to SoCal).

I've lived here for a little more than a year now, and eventhough I know for sure I don't want to live here forever I have to say I like it so far. It really depends on your situation I think. I wouldn't want to raise kids here or start a family etc. But as a single guy in his 20's this city is a lot of fun. I don't have an $80.000 job, I don't drive a fancy Infiniti and I live with roommates, but I don't mind. I also don't speak spanish. Well, I'm taking classes for two months now, but that's not because "everybody only speaks spanish down here" (which is probably the biggest myth ever about miami by the way) but because I'm always open to learn something new. And what better place is there to learn spanish than Miami?

Like I said before, I don't wanna stay forever, but for now Miami is what I call home. SoCal somehow doesn't make my list of places I'd like to live in. I can't even say why. But on the other hand... I've never been to SoCal, so who knows

Old 04-08-2008, 04:18 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,521,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
Funny that I've read a couple of times now that Miami is a dirty city. How come Forbes magazine voted Miami as America's cleanest city? Yes, if you look at the Alley behind a restaurant you might find a couple bags of trash, but I don't see any trash on the side of the road or stuff like that. The air is also very clean (especially compared to SoCal).

I've lived here for a little more than a year now, and eventhough I know for sure I don't want to live here forever I have to say I like it so far. It really depends on your situation I think. I wouldn't want to raise kids here or start a family etc. But as a single guy in his 20's this city is a lot of fun. I don't have an $80.000 job, I don't drive a fancy Infiniti and I live with roommates, but I don't mind. I also don't speak spanish. Well, I'm taking classes for two months now, but that's not because "everybody only speaks spanish down here" (which is probably the biggest myth ever about miami by the way) but because I'm always open to learn something new. And what better place is there to learn spanish than Miami?

Like I said before, I don't wanna stay forever, but for now Miami is what I call home. SoCal somehow doesn't make my list of places I'd like to live in. I can't even say why. But on the other hand... I've never been to SoCal, so who knows
It was voted as the cleanest city for its environmental cleanliness. Street wise is a different story altogether lol, i know i have lived there. There is definatly a language barrier in Miami, and discrimination is definatly there, i felt it and is one of the main reasons i did not stay. For all the reasons i loved Miami, the bad outweighed the good. I hope someday things will change and I can return to Miami. Until that time, San Diego here i come!(movin this summer ) If there was only some way I could pick up the Dolphin mall and move it to san diego....oh well, i can dream can't I!

Old 04-09-2008, 01:54 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,932,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
i am sorry, but do NOT compare the cost of living between miami and san diego! there is only one reason why home prices averaged $522,000 in san diego and $348,000 in miami as of the last quarter in 2007 (i have NO idea where you got your over $400,000 average home price for miami. that's laughable). it's because the demand for san diego is one of the highest in the nation. high home prices keep the tourists as just tourists instead of new transplants. the honest truth is that this board is filled with urbanites who pop boners over internationally themed cities with a cosmopolitan flavor, so it appears as though miami is the popular choice. if you want to have the kind of debate you just brought up, then let me tell you that popular opinion picks san diego over miami! san diegans are wealthy and humble at the same time. lots of people from miami are poor and stuck up -- bad combination! home prices are a good indicator of the desirability of a city. if you are rich, live in san diego. if you are on a budget, live in miami!!!
You have obviously never been to Miami. Home prices there have depreciated significant but HAVE peaked at over $400,000. Try purchasing a $400,000 house on a salary of $24,000/yr. I would love to see you do that with ease. I don't know where this idea comes from that people in Miami are poor and stuck-up. Find me stuck up people in Overtown, Liberty City, or Brownsville. The majority of Miamians are working low-paying jobs trying to make ends meet. It's really saddening that some people think the image they see of South Beach extends any farther inland than Ocean Avenue in Miami Beach (not even part of the city of Miami, btw).

The average salary is San Diego is DOUBLE what the average salary is in Miami. The average home price is San Diego is nowhere near DOUBLE of what the average home price is in Miami using your own stats. The average homes price in San Diego would need to be around $730,000 for there to even begin to be comparison on which city is more expensive. Let's mention that gas prices are not that much different in Miami than San Diego, food is just as expensive, and there is a large housing shortage in the city, as well.

I am glad that you feel that San Diegans are wealthy and humble, as well. I would love for you to go to Logan Heights and let me know how wealthy residents there are, or go to La Jolla and tell me how humble people are there .

It's truly a shame that you would make sweeping generalizations about Miamians and San Diegans. There is a significant population is both cities that are stuggling financially, but all in all, Miamians have it worse.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:13 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,202,710 times
One city is standing strong in the face of illegal immigration. With a fence from the ocean all the way to the end of the county line and a strong conservative base. The other city, well Spanish is pretty much the unoffical language and has the worst salary vs cost of living ratio in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City