Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 07:21 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Lived in two of them (Boston, Toronto) and visited Chicago extensively. Three great cities.

Restaurants and bars: 1. Chicago 2. Boston 3. Toronto
High culture: 1. Chicago 2. Boston 3. Toronto
Popular culture (sports and music): Sports: 1. Boston 2. Chicago 3. Toronto. Music: 1. Chicago 2. Toronto 3. Boston.
Outdoor recreation: 1. Boston 2. Toronto 3. Chicago
Economy/jobs: 1. Boston 2. Chicago 3. Toronto
Education: Higher Education: 1. Boston 2. Chicago 3. Toronto.
Primary/Elementary/Upper/High: 1. Boston 2. Toronto 3. Chicago
Architecture: Skyscraper: 1. Chicago 2. Toronto 3. Boston. Street level: 1. Boston 2. Chicago 3. Toronto
Local character: 1. Chicago 2. Boston 3. Toronto
Jobs and The Suburbs: 1. Chicago 2. Boston 3. Toronto

I will expand on this later when I get a chance. But as I mentioned three of the best cities North America has to offer.
I think we went tic for tat on a lot of these. I too have lived in two of the three, with some extensive visits to Toronto. Toronto is a great city, too.

Personally, I have Toronto>Boston when it comes to nightlife. The Boston food scene is actually really really good, and it's substantially more sophisticated than I had expected. But, so is Toronto, and the nightlife is certainly better. Neither are as great as Chicago- World class status.

As for the jobs/suburbs (assuming it means suburban appeal/job access and growth in the suburbs), I have Boston>Toronto>Chicago. Though there are some beautiful Chicago suburbs that certainly compete with Boston's beautiful suburbs, I think the average Boston suburb is quite a bit nicer/more charming than the average Chicago suburb. As for jobs, there's arguably more business along 95/495 than in Boston proper, which makes for a nicely distributed environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 07:56 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I think we went tic for tat on a lot of these. I too have lived in two of the three, with some extensive visits to Toronto. Toronto is a great city, too.

Personally, I have Toronto>Boston when it comes to nightlife. The Boston food scene is actually really really good, and it's substantially more sophisticated than I had expected. But, so is Toronto, and the nightlife is certainly better. Neither are as great as Chicago- World class status.

As for the jobs/suburbs (assuming it means suburban appeal/job access and growth in the suburbs), I have Boston>Toronto>Chicago. Though there are some beautiful Chicago suburbs that certainly compete with Boston's beautiful suburbs, I think the average Boston suburb is quite a bit nicer/more charming than the average Chicago suburb. As for jobs, there's arguably more business along 95/495 than in Boston proper, which makes for a nicely distributed environment.
I would put Toronto's nightlife above Boston as well, even though I find them both lacking in many ways. Toronto has a better nightclub and lounge scene than Boston, but I like the bar and pub scene better in Boston. Chicago by far has the best nightlife of the three, in that it basically ticks all the boxes.

One of my main hobbies is eating, I am basically obsessed with seeking out new restaurants and foods to try. I think Chicago has the best food scene of the three. It has the sophistication, innovation and also is well rounded when it comes to what it offers in the mid to low end. Personally I vibe with Boston's food scene a bit more than Toronto's. Toronto has alot of diversity in its food scene, but alot of it is quantity over quality. There is for example no kind of food that I can find in Toronto than I am unable to find a version of in Boston. But there are foods in Boston I can find there but not in Toronto. So that is why I gave it the leg up. I will say Toronto's restaurant scene has improved leaps and bounds over the past 5 years, they are on the cusp of really making a name for themselves one day in the future.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:06 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Does Chicago really have a better nightclub scene than Toronto? Pubs and Bars/Karaoke joints I can see but Nightclubs and lounges i'm a little on the fence. I know last call is later in Chicago which is a big plus but the general nightclub scene I dunno.. I gave Chicago the nod because I actually prefer bars/pubs over thump thump nightclubs. I found the atmosphere in Chicago's bars more laid back and people more approachable than Toronto's rather stuffy nightclub scene. The later last call is in Chicago's favour for sure but in Toronto the legal drinking age is 19 so that has its advantages for younger people wanting to go out than in Chicago.

Quote:
I will say Toronto's restaurant scene has improved leaps and bounds over the past 5 years, they are on the cusp of really making a name for themselves one day in the future.
Toronto is always on the 'cusp' with you Ed lol.. As I said, through sheer force of numbers the city is going to continually be on another level. When it gets there you'll be the first to say its here right

Old 01-18-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Toronto is always on the 'cusp' with you Ed lol.. As I said, through sheer force of numbers the city is going to continually be on another level. When it gets there you'll be the first to say its here right
I am picky when it comes to certain things, so I have my quirks. How I eat is one of them.

I am always searching for a blow me away meal. It could be a 12 course tasting menu or something as simple as an amazing kebab served with the perfect homemade bread for $7. Last visit to Toronto I posted and followed up with names and reviews of all the places I visited (By the way that Jamaican place I didnt like that actually used pimento wood closed a couple weeks ago...) I will also do the same on the Toronto board when I get back there in February.

It will be cold out, so I need some food to stick to my bones and keep me warm. Recommendations always accepted my friend.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I am picky when it comes to certain things, so I have my quirks. How I eat is one of them.

I am always searching for a blow me away meal. It could be a 12 course tasting menu or something as simple as an amazing kebab served with the perfect homemade bread for $7. Last visit to Toronto I posted and followed up with names and reviews of all the places I visited (By the way that Jamaican place I didnt like that actually used pimento wood closed a couple weeks ago...) I will also do the same on the Toronto board when I get back there in February.

It will be cold out, so I need some food to stick to my bones and keep me warm. Recommendations always accepted my friend.
Actually i'm going to an Indian place on QSW I believe - might be another area on Monday with my ex boss (he is taking me so he knows more about it). I'll let you know but he raves about it and he is quite the foodie. He also spoke about an Indonesian place too that he loves so anyway, i'll get some recommendations from him and will PM you. He LOVES hot food too (Sri Lankan). Yes I know your feelings on T.O's Jamaican food scene lol.. That said, as long as you are weighing all cuisine in your assessments and not just for the mother land than all good lol..

As we both know as well, Toronto's food scene is not compact. The best Chinese food as we know is not anywhere near the core so most people visiting T.O don't head out to Markham. I guess if you like Chinese than you'd be missing out big as a tourist if you don't. This is the problem with people who are from somewhere and comparing it to a place they visit - they know everything about where to go and eat where they are from, not necessarily where to go and eat where they visit.

Speaking of Markham: Did you hear about this?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...oods-1.4485629

Old 01-18-2018, 08:37 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Restaurants and bars - CHI/TOR/BOS
High culture - CHI/TOR/BOS
Popular culture (sports and music) - CHI TIE TOR/BOS (BOS over T.O for Sports - T.O over BOS for Music)
Outdoor recreation TIE TOR/BOS CHI
Economy/jobs BOS TIE CHI/TOR
Education TIE when considering all levels of education across all socioeconomic strata
Architecture CHI TIE TOR/BOS (BOS has nicer mid-rise architecture but T.O's is way more diverse ie High Rise, Mid-rise, Low-rise and styles)
Local character BOS/CHI/TOR - T.O is too diverse, too many FOB's and growing too fast for a strong local character.
Jobs and The Suburbs BOS/TOR/CHI

I'll add the following since the criteria should be expanded.

International/Cosmopolitan TOR/CHI/BOS
Safety TOR/BOS/CHI
Growth and Development TOR/ BOS/CHI Tie

Fairly even-handed take. I pretty much agree with all of this. I think Boston gets a nod for Education
though. I'd put Boston ahead of Toronto for "High Culture".

Old 01-18-2018, 08:45 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Three of the greatest cities in North America.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Actually i'm going to an Indian place on QSW I believe - might be another area on Monday with my ex boss (he is taking me so he knows more about it). I'll let you know but he raves about it and he is quite the foodie. He also spoke about an Indonesian place too that he loves so anyway, i'll get some recommendations from him and will PM you. He LOVES hot food too (Sri Lankan). Yes I know your feelings on T.O's Jamaican food scene lol.. That said, as long as you are weighing all cuisine in your assessments and not just for the mother land than all good lol..

As we both know as well, Toronto's food scene is not compact. The best Chinese food as we know is not anywhere near the core so most people visiting T.O don't head out to Markham. I guess if you like Chinese than you'd be missing out big as a tourist if you don't. This is the problem with people who are from somewhere and comparing it to a place they visit - they know everything about where to go and eat where they are from, not necessarily where to go and eat where they visit.

Speaking of Markham: Did you hear about this?
Pacific Mall one of the world's most notorious sources of counterfeit goods, U.S. government report says - Toronto - CBC News
Re: Pacific Mall, yup I saw that. I swear I got like 4 text messages from my friends sending that article to me because they know how much I love that place and Markham/RH in general. I make a point to head out there to eat every visit. As I have mentioned its hands down the best collection of Cantonese food I have tried outside of Hong Kong. Cant express how much I love eating out there.

Send over the recs homie, I am always looking for something new. I love spicy food also.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Fairly even-handed take. I pretty much agree with all of this. I think Boston gets a nod for Education
though. I'd put Boston ahead of Toronto for "High Culture".
Fair enough.. I'm not as familiar with Boston's 'high culture' than Toronto's. I simply looked at Museum, Opera, Symphony, Art Galleries, Theatre offerings primarily in T.O's DT core vs what I noticed in Boston. Like anything with these a vote for one over the other could be as simple as something very small tipping the scales.

I'm still not convinced for example that Chicago has a better nightclub scene than Toronto. I am NOT into that scene and prefer bars and pubs. I actually really enjoyed the pubs and karaoke joint my friend took me too in Chicago. Toronto's club scene is pretty fake and pretentious imo. That said, I know there are people who like that sort of stuff and those who like that stuffy dressed to the nines nightclub scene with overpriced Vodka etc - I doubt Toronto will disappoint.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Fair enough.. I'm not as familiar with Boston's 'high culture' than Toronto's. I simply looked at Museum, Opera, Symphony, Art Galleries, Theatre offerings primarily in T.O's DT core vs what I noticed in Boston. Like anything with these a vote for one over the other could be as simple as something very small tipping the scales.
It is very small and it could come down to preference. They both have their advantages for sure. The way I see it just from my personal view:

Big Theatre: Toronto > Boston. 3rd largest in the the English speaking world, cant vote against Toronto here.

Small/Regional Theatre: Boston > Toronto. The fact that the Huntington theatre company is located in Boston is a point for Boston here.

Museums: Boston > Toronto.

Opera: Toronto > Boston

Symphony: Boston > Toronto

Ballet: Toronto > Boston

Super close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City