Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 01:43 PM

14,144 posts, read 9,035,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post

Also, I'm not certain SF should be first in local character, but it definitely shouldn't be last. SF oozes character, soul and culture, even with all the gentrification. And no way Philly beats SF in restaurants. I think SF is the clear winner when it comes to restaurants, with the other 3 being fairly close.
Philly's restaurant scene has grown by leaps and bounds over the last decade or so.

And on my one visit to San Francisco, it seemed to me that all the really good restaurants were outside the downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 01:53 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,447 times
I somehow missed that this was focused on downtowns exclusively - I thought we were talking citywide. It's still tricky though because how we define downtown could very much change the answer. In SF does it include places like SOMA and Chinatown? For Boston, Back Bay? For Seattle, Capitol Hill? Philly seems to have the most neatly defined downtown, but even then it's not totally clear.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:53 PM

591 posts, read 819,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

Capitol Hill is OK, but I'd probably take Allston. Neither blow me away.
Capitol Hill is OK? Come on man. Capitol Hill is one of the most vibrant neighborhoods on the West Coast.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Capitol Hill is OK? Come on man. Capitol Hill is arguably the most vibrant neighborhood on the West Coast.
I wouldn't go that far. SF and LA both have some neighborhoods that match or eclipse Capitol Hill in vibrancy. But Capitol Hill is definitely up there as far as West Coast neighborhoods go.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:59 PM

591 posts, read 819,559 times
Quote:
I wouldn't go that far. SF and LA both have some neighborhoods that match or eclipse Capitol Hill in vibrancy. But Capitol Hill is definitely up there as far as West Coast neighborhoods go.
You beat me to it, I changed it from "the most" to "one of the most" lol

That being said, I think Cap Hill can go toe to toe with any one neighborhood in LA or SF

Old 01-19-2018, 01:59 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,908,934 times
Quote:
I've never seen anything quite like this video of Seattle in Boston(Maybe Boylston or Landstowne?) - it goes on like this seemingly forever these days in the Pike/Pine section of Capitol Hill. There's probably 50-60 bars/pubs/clubs in a pretty small radius there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrR30tZ2si0
Seaport/Fort Point would be the closest in the way of activity at night in one consolidated area. I mean, Fanueil area has a ton of bars, but I'm not even going to go there.

Of course, Fenway in season is always hoppin, but I'm not going to include that.

Seaport/Fort Point is wildly saturated with everything, most likely why Amazon is looking for that 1M Sq.Ft undeveloped space. It's the last lot to go before it's completely built up. Seaport/Fort Point Bars and Restaraunts that come to mind: Drink, City Tap, Row 34, Envoy Rooftop, LTK, Legal Harborside, Committee, Whiskey Priest, Sky Lounge, Trillium, Empire, Gather, Tony Cs, Rosa, Tamo, Temazcal, Salvatores, The Smoke Shop, 75 on Liberty, Capiz Bar Lounge, Larry Js, Aura, Menton

Old 01-19-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Seaport/Fort Point would be the closest in the way of activity at night in one consolidated area. I mean, Fanueil area has a ton of bars, but I'm not even going to go there.

Of course, Fenway in season is always hoppin, but I'm not going to include that.

Seaport/Fort Point is wildly saturated with everything, most likely why Amazon is looking for that 1M Sq.Ft undeveloped space. It's the last lot to go before it's completely built up. Seaport/Fort Point Bars and Restaraunts that come to mind: Drink, City Tap, Row 34, Envoy Rooftop, LTK, Legal Harborside, Committee, Whiskey Priest, Sky Lounge, Trillium, Empire, Gather, Tony Cs, Rosa, Tamo, Temazcal, Salvatores, The Smoke Shop, 75 on Liberty, Capiz Bar Lounge, Larry Js, Aura, Menton
I'm actually not too familiar with that neighborhood - I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Boston!

Old 01-19-2018, 03:04 PM

14,144 posts, read 9,035,638 times
Quote:
I'm actually not too familiar with that neighborhood - I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Boston!
Fort Point was a warehouse district that's been reclaimed by residents.

Its transformation is perhaps the most dramatic transformation of any Boston district, rivaled only by South Boston just to its southeast.

Philadelphia equivalents: Callowhill ("Loft District" / "Spring Arts") and Fishtown (which was Philly's answer to Southie right down to its ethnic and class composition. Here's something I wrote about the latter's transformation:

Confession: I'm Black, And I Used to Be Afraid to Walk Around Fishtown | News & Opinion | Philadelphia Magazine)

The difference is that Fishtown got the restaurants and shops as well as the demographic makeover. Callowhill doesn't jump the way Fort Point does. Our bar-crawl district is Old City, which got revived back in the 1980s.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:51 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,277,721 times
Quote:
Yeah, that area is rapidly growing and has lots of nightlife establishments. But, I wouldn't really say it has the street level vibrancy just yet. Certainly nothing to rival the Capital Hill video. Theater District, Faniel, Bulfinch, and Boylston in Fenway probably come closer, IMO.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:14 PM

37,118 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Transportation - Boston, Philadelphia, SF, Seattle
Vibrant Downtown areas - Philadelphia/SF, Boston, Seattle
Living - You can live in any of these
Jobs - Depends a lot on the job; for the work I do, probably SF, but maybe Philadelphia with enough gigs in NYC
Restaurants/Bars - Philadelphia/SF, Seattle, Boston (though actually don't have much dining experience in Boston, so this one is a who knows)
Things to Do - Philadelphia for "city" things, SF and Seattle for a blend of city stuff and nature
Nightlife/Culture - Philadelphia, SF, Seattle, Boston

Would live in any of these given the right circumstances, but definitely prefer Philadelphia overall, then SF, Seattle and Boston. Downtown Philadelphia and San Francisco also feel notably more bustling to me than downtown Boston does, which also feels more so than downtown Seattle does though it's been three years since I've last spent time in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City