U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 04:14 AM

168 posts, read 102,133 times

Advertisements

New York is obsessed with Toronto, just look @ how many Articles a year the New York Times writes about Toronto.
Nuff said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 05:12 AM

886 posts, read 586,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Baltimore with DC. Baltimore does everything it can to distance itself from DC and maintain its identity while DC doesn't even acknowledge Bmores existence.
I don't think Bmore and the DMVs relationship is a good example for this thread...Native DMVers and Bmore people acknowledge each other in a not too friendly way but I wouldn't say either side is obsessed or totally indifferent towards the other...I am talking about in the real world not on City-Data

Old 01-20-2018, 05:29 AM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 16 days ago)

4,655 posts, read 4,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Leave it to a Houston Homer to prove everything people say. This post epitomizes the insecurities and obnoxious and strident inferiority complex Houstonians have about Dallas and their constant need to cut the city down.

It was a Dallas homer that first brought Houston vs Dallas into the conversation I would have stayed out of it altogether otherwise. This thread ask posters to describe these relationships. which I did from a insider who knows Texas. If I stepped on any fanboy fantasies I apologize. Read the post quoted below you may learn something besides vague denials and personal insults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Oh, please. As a nonpartisan native Texan who is from neither city, I have experienced first hand the vitriol that Dallasites and Austinites can throw in Houston's direction. The difference is that Houstonians here are willing to admit there is a rivalry while some in the other cities pretend they're too good to be apart of it.

Here on City Data I've noticed that it's mostly transplants who aren't even from TX that insist it's one sided, but us natives know the real deal. Houstonians hate the Cowboys and the local Aggie alumni hate the Longhorns. Dallas hates that Houston has gotten closer to hosting the Olympics, and Austin pretends to be as diverse and worldly as Houston actually is. All of these cities sling mud at each other while San Antonio sits back and watches it go down.

All kidding aside, Houston remains the alpha city of the big three. It's the oldest, it played a more integral role in Texas history and it's still the most economically important city in the state, boom or bust notwithstanding.

Houston football fans do envy the Cowboys, but that is a sports complex that does not reflect the overall attitude Houston has about itself, or any of its intrastate sister cities. Dallas envy's Houston's coastal location, specifically the port, and Houston's place in Texas history, and sense of place, which they downplay as much as possible

Old 01-20-2018, 07:51 AM

160 posts, read 77,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
What city tries to force a rivalry with another city, while the other city doesn't care?

The one that jumps out is San Francisco's obsession with Los Angeles.
Houston is obsessed with New orleans. Beaumont is obsessed with Houston. Austin is obsessed with despising Dallas. Longview/Tyler is obsessed with Dallas for what it has to offer. McAllen is obsessed with houston because it is the closest to the outside world that LRGV residents can even perceive of, especially if they have never left the Rio Grande Valley.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Oooooooooooooooooo....

This one is gonna get ugly fast!
that GIF is hilarious !!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosin007 View Post
New York is obsessed with Toronto, just look @ how many Articles a year the New York Times writes about Toronto.
Nuff said!
LOL But you're biased...you're in Canada. I've been to Calgary, by the way...only for a day. Seems busy.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:01 AM

10,346 posts, read 7,255,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosin007 View Post
Nuff said!
Donít forgot Miami and Southern California

Old 01-20-2018, 08:05 AM

21,958 posts, read 30,839,883 times
It seems a bit with Pittsburgh and Philly, though not huge

Maybe its a smaller city in the same state thing like a SF and LA

I think there is some level of Philly to NYC, maybe due to proximity and size difference

Old 01-20-2018, 08:12 AM

5,055 posts, read 5,991,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
SF with LA

Chicago with NYC

Detroit with Chicago

I'm sure there are others.
gee, Nola, I think for most Chicagoans, NYC is the last place we'd want to be. However, I will plead that we are guilty of obsessing over one city: Chicago.

For the record, we in Chicago recognize the awful crime and murder rate in basically a relatively small area on the south and west sides. It is a tragedy, of course, but an American tragedy that speaks of a nation of racism. But truth-be-known, the areas, the great wide sweep of most of the greater and booming downtown areas, the North Side, and the areas on the West and South sides that are spreading outward from the core are doing incredibly well and are completely unaffected by the violence, I mean, of course, in a personal way. Fact is, in much of Chicago, it feels like a boom town. Of course, prices are way too high and only those with a lot of money can afford them and many of those who move into the city have small or no families (somewhat SF like) so population doesn't necessarily rise and can dip.

I say that in the sense that Chicago (I honestly believe) is one of the most comfortable-in-its-own-skin cities/metros out there. We know what we have is fantastic, we want to get better (as every city and every person should), but we are most happy with what we are. And we certainly in no way aspire to be any place else.

Last edited by edsg25; 01-20-2018 at 08:25 AM..

Old 01-20-2018, 08:43 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,948,992 times
I think that the media kind of blows out of proportion the NYC-Chicago thing and some places online (like this website) - a lot of people don't actually care about wanting to be like the city. A lot of people I know from Chicago think that NYC is partially too crowded and too dirty. There are others who love NYC, but also love Chicago and know they're two separate things. I know or knew some people who were in Chicago who wanted to be in NYC and some of them did end up moving there. I knew very few people who had this idea of a rivalry. By and large, a lot of people don't really care one way or another - they view NYC as a great city but many also don't want Chicago to be like NYC based on their stereotypes and experiences. Previous poster was right though - many Chicagoans are obsessed with "themselves" (though if you read local news comment sections you might not believe it now - tons of very self critical people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City