U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

62 posts, read 10,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Always some truth in things. But i think it is more that Chicago has come into terms with itself and can stand up to even mighty NYC in some categories today. But knows for sure it isn't about being as mighty NYC.

I always note ..... Chicago after its Great Fire and re-, a king aspects of itself. Did NOT turn to NYC to be like even then. It clearly chose to steer itself from being a tenement style city and a more unconnected close-knit urbanity over attached much more fully.

It also overcame the Midwest stigma of being flyover. That era has mostly gone. So that too adds to its self-esteem to dare see it can have some traits of the best of things too offered.
True. From my personal experience I would rather live in Chicago than LA. Since family is important to me and Chicago is little brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:46 AM

2,255 posts, read 1,611,809 times
Absolutely...I agree there is a huge difference between 2 months and 7 years. One needs to live in a city at least 2 years to start getting acclimated and the flavor of the city. My experiences were based on having lived more than 10 years in a couple of different locations within the same geographical region.

Though I no longer live in NYC, I could see where and why residents there show their pride and feel about their city as they do—it remains the financial, media, theatrical, and fashion capital (one could arguably add food) of the nation. Also, the strength and determination they demonstrated in recovering from and rebuilding after 9/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In most cities there is an amount of time you must live there before you can criticize. If someone moved to
Boston two months ago and says “god why is last call 2am what’s wrong with you” Someone might reply “what did you expect it’s Boston, why’d you move here”. But if you’ve been around 7 years say people will not be so harsh

Also LOL no New Yorkers get really annoyed if people don’t cede that they are the best everything and objectively the best place in America.

Last edited by elchevere; Today at 08:28 AM..

Old Today, 10:27 PM

181 posts, read 364,543 times
In Canada it would be Vancouver and Toronto. Vancouver is always comparing itself to Toronto and how much better they are than Toronto while Torontonians don`t even know what street Vancouver is on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City