Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 06:10 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
Our summers aren't as bad as Minnesota's winters
Minnesota isn't a part of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 07:01 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Milwaukee's lakefront and its proximity to Chicago are both strong points in its favor in this comparison.

But pace GraniteStater's preference for places that have winters worthy of the term, I think that those who say Milwaukee is clearly ahead of Kansas City in this comparison are selling KC short.

KC may not have the big lakefront festival every summer, but it does have the biggest barbecue competition in the world every fall. And it has several surprisingly lively entertainment districts (downtown's getting there) with something going on every weekend to boot.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Milwaukee's lakefront and its proximity to Chicago are both strong points in its favor in this comparison.

But pace GraniteStater's preference for places that have winters worthy of the term, I think that those who say Milwaukee is clearly ahead of Kansas City in this comparison are selling KC short.

KC may not have the big lakefront festival every summer, but it does have the biggest barbecue competition in the world every fall. And it has several surprisingly lively entertainment districts (downtown's getting there) with something going on every weekend to boot.
Milwaukee's entire eastern border is Lake Michigan, and just down the road, is Chicago. That, to me, is a big plus. Plus the fact, that there are things going on in Milwaukee, every week-end, too. There, though, you get the choice to stay in Milwaukee for something, or go to Chicago for something.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
No one has mentioned Omaha. I'd go with Milwaukee myself, but I've spent a lot of time in Omaha (DH is from there) and it has a lot going for it, too. The Old Market is cool, the college world series is fun and they have a great stadium for it, great zoo, lots of theater. Weather no worse than anywhere else in the midwest.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:16 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
Our summers aren't as bad as Minnesota's winters
Disagree, I prefer to be outside all summer long and not be constantly overheated. Winter is supposed to be winter, not 60F one day and 0F two days later. I appreciate that the Upper Midwest is more consistently cold, it keeps the excessive population growth rates of a Sunbelt area at bay.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:25 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
It's already, pretty much seamless.
Yep, it is. Nowhere in the Midwest had produced a corridor with two major cities & their metros. On any level. Sure, we have one where two cities are "twins", but M/SP is one metro area and the cities actually touch.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:28 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No one has mentioned Omaha. I'd go with Milwaukee myself, but I've spent a lot of time in Omaha (DH is from there) and it has a lot going for it, too. The Old Market is cool, the college world series is fun and they have a great stadium for it, great zoo, lots of theater. Weather no worse than anywhere else in the midwest.
Omaha is a gem, hidden gem actually. It's also a real shocker....it has far more of a "big city" feel than you'd expect. That Old Market area is indeed cool and close to downtown, a surprisingly nice downtown with more tall buildings than one would suspect.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:54 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Omaha is a gem, hidden gem actually. It's also a real shocker....it has far more of a "big city" feel than you'd expect. That Old Market area is indeed cool and close to downtown, a surprisingly nice downtown with more tall buildings than one would suspect.
And it’s got that zoo!

I was reading about Jobber’s Canyon the other day and was sad that it wasn’t kept intact, but it looks like there’s still a good amount of historic architecture.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
And it’s got that zoo!

I was reading about Jobber’s Canyon the other day and was sad that it wasn’t kept intact, but it looks like there’s still a good amount of historic architecture.
Actually, from what I read, Omaha keeps tearing down buildings, and replacing them. If it keeps up, the city will have lost much of its character. Jobber's Canyon could have been turned into a thriving area of the city, but the leaders bowed to ConAgra, which, now, has actually left the city. It's a shame. I like Omaha, but city leaders need to save what's left of old architecture, instead of tearing it down.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:48 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Actually, from what I read, Omaha keeps tearing down buildings, and replacing them. If it keeps up, the city will have lost much of its character. Jobber's Canyon could have been turned into a thriving area of the city, but the leaders bowed to ConAgra, which, now, has actually left the city. It's a shame. I like Omaha, but city leaders need to save what's left of old architecture, instead of tearing it down.
That's one of the things I love about Milwaukee. I think my favorite building in downtown MKE is the Mitchell Building. I stare at it every time I go past. City Hall is pretty awesome too. There are 187 entries on the National Register of Historic Places within Milwaukee. I love all the restoration of old buildings in the city.

My dad visited from Columbus and commented on the abundance of historic buildings in Milwaukee. He's not impressed with Columbus' lack of historical buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City