U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is best for young adults?
New Orleans 12 16.00%
St. Louis 15 20.00%
Nashville 48 64.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 08:44 PM

630 posts, read 1,934,595 times

Advertisements

Entertainment options (bars, concerts, festivals, etc.)
1. New Orleans
2. Nashville
3. St. Louis

Interesting, fairly walkable neighborhoods
1. New Orleans
2. St. Louis
3. Nashville

Job opportunities/economic strength
1. Nashville
2. St. Louis
3. New Orleans

Concentration of educated young people
1. Nashville
2. St. Louis
3. New Orleans

Diversity and progressive culture
This can mean so many things. I feel like I'd need to understand more of your personal definition of this, as it is likely very different than for me.

Overall, I feel like Nashville has more of what you're looking for.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:29 AM

4,320 posts, read 3,391,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Well. St. Louis has more bars than Nashville. Imo, St. Louis has a better restaurant scene then Nashville especially when it comes to BBQ, Soulfood and Italian. New Orleans does have the best food of the three. St. Louis has 3 movie houses within the central corridor with a 4th one opening next year just as a referencepoint for non tourists entertainment. St. Louis has a much better park system than Nashville or New Orleans. St. Louis has always been ahead of Nashville as far as urban living options and will maintain the lead. St Louis has many established neighborhoods with diverse styles of housing from highrises to row houses to bungalows that gives the city a more authentic charming feel that isn't and wont be duplicated in Nashville. What neighborhoods in Nashville compare with Tower Grove, Soulard, The Grove, Central West End, The Hill, The Loop and other thriving and growing neighborhoods in St. Louis.

In all fairness to Nashville, Nashville is not suppose to be like St Louis. St. Louis is a metro of 3 million being compared with 2 million. St. Louis hasn't been under 2 million since 1960. And yes the area was booming back then. So yes the area does have a size and age advantage that will give it a Niemans Marcus, 2 Nordstroms, Saks Fifth Avenue and a Von Maur. Or a functional transit system. Or 10 Fortune 500 companies (compared to 5 in Nashville). Or Six Flags. And the list goes on.

Nashville has much better PR than St Louis and as a result has established a pattern of growth that St Louis will not see in my lifetime. That doesn't make Nashville a better city IMO.

When those six dining and entertainment complexes are opened (and thriving at the same time) in DT Nashville and when the bar count exceeds St Louis on the city level with the same diversity, I will then take another look and re evaluate my thoughts on Nashville nightlife for the average person. When I see Nashville successfully run a transit system that is useful for that city, I will give a big city nod to Nashville.

Nashville 2040 will be probably be a better city than St Louis. Nashville 2030? Maybe??? Nashville 2018? No!
Nashville has been very, very slow to add specialty/luxury retail outside of Green Hills. Nashville can support at least two more luxury department stores. Von Maur would be a great fit for Cool Springs Galleria area, and a Neiman Marcus in Green Hills (they aren't doing well either). I don't see Saks adding a full scale department store because they are bad shape right now. There will likely be another outlet location though when the Tanger Premium Outlets opens in Antioch (mistake, Off 5th should be in Brentwood where the Office Max sits currently, but I digress). The metro area is where Nashville drops off substantially in upscale retail. They keep building all of these shopping centers with the same discount stores.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:06 PM

5,255 posts, read 5,612,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Nashville has been very, very slow to add specialty/luxury retail outside of Green Hills. Nashville can support at least two more luxury department stores. Von Maur would be a great fit for Cool Springs Galleria area, and a Neiman Marcus in Green Hills (they aren't doing well either). I don't see Saks adding a full scale department store because they are bad shape right now. There will likely be another outlet location though when the Tanger Premium Outlets opens in Antioch (mistake, Off 5th should be in Brentwood where the Office Max sits currently, but I digress). The metro area is where Nashville drops off substantially in upscale retail. They keep building all of these shopping centers with the same discount stores.
Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of growth in upscale retail throughout the country.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of growth in upscale retail throughout the country.
You're right. Online shopping has really hurt the standard brick and mortar business models. Sometimes I wonder how the existing commission-based stores are still in business.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
You're right. Online shopping has really hurt the standard brick and mortar business models. Sometimes I wonder how the existing commission-based stores are still in business.
I think Dillards is the most successful.

Nordstroms will be closing some stores in the next 24 months.

Niemans Marcus store looked pretty dead last time I was at their Frontenac location near St. Louis.

We all know the Macy's and Sears story.

I can't wait to see how well Ikea does with its urban small stores.

Amazon go is a nice concept and I can't wait to see how well that goes over.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I think Dillards is the most successful.

Nordstroms will be closing some stores in the next 24 months.

Niemans Marcus store looked pretty dead last time I was at their Frontenac location near St. Louis.

We all know the Macy's and Sears story.

I can't wait to see how well Ikea does with its urban small stores.

Amazon go is a nice concept and I can't wait to see how well that goes over.
Dillard's really surprises me because they have not changed anything to make their stores more modern. No self-checkout, no real-time delivery, difficult online navigation, high store employee turnover, lower wages than the others, etc. Their final end of season sales are good though. Belk has really taken a huge chunk of their market though. Belk has much better customer service and don't operate stores in crime ridden or run down areas. Our Dillard's in the Nashville locations are more upscale than Macy's. Our Macy's are no better than JC Penney's here.

Nordstrom's is excellent.The full line store and the Rack stores are really nice. Like Belk, they have superior customer service. Their clothing targets young people more than the other stores.

Saks....chile....

Neimans and Saks are losers. I don't see them surviving much longer unless they are bought out and put in with new management. I like Saks Off Fifth better. The Zaras, H&Ms, Forever 21s, Amazons will be the nail in their coffin.

I'm surprised why Von Maur has not come to the Nashville market yet. It reminds me of a lesser Nordstrom.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:58 PM

6,311 posts, read 13,226,544 times
Quote:
Well. St. Louis has more bars than Nashville. Imo, St. Louis has a better restaurant scene then Nashville especially when it comes to BBQ, Soulfood and Italian. New Orleans does have the best food of the three. St. Louis has 3 movie houses within the central corridor with a 4th one opening next year just as a referencepoint for non tourists entertainment. St. Louis has a much better park system than Nashville or New Orleans. St. Louis has always been ahead of Nashville as far as urban living options and will maintain the lead. St Louis has many established neighborhoods with diverse styles of housing from highrises to row houses to bungalows that gives the city a more authentic charming feel that isn't and wont be duplicated in Nashville. What neighborhoods in Nashville compare with Tower Grove, Soulard, The Grove, Central West End, The Hill, The Loop and other thriving and growing neighborhoods in St. Louis.

In all fairness to Nashville, Nashville is not suppose to be like St Louis. St. Louis is a metro of 3 million being compared with 2 million. St. Louis hasn't been under 2 million since 1960. And yes the area was booming back then. So yes the area does have a size and age advantage that will give it a Niemans Marcus, 2 Nordstroms, Saks Fifth Avenue and a Von Maur. Or a functional transit system. Or 10 Fortune 500 companies (compared to 5 in Nashville). Or Six Flags. And the list goes on.

Nashville has much better PR than St Louis and as a result has established a pattern of growth that St Louis will not see in my lifetime. That doesn't make Nashville a better city IMO.

When those six dining and entertainment complexes are opened (and thriving at the same time) in DT Nashville and when the bar count exceeds St Louis on the city level with the same diversity, I will then take another look and re evaluate my thoughts on Nashville nightlife for the average person. When I see Nashville successfully run a transit system that is useful for that city, I will give a big city nod to Nashville.

Nashville 2040 will be probably be a better city than St Louis. Nashville 2030? Maybe??? Nashville 2018? No!
This! I simply don't get the Nashville hype! Great city but when you get down to it...doesn't have big city amenities!!

Old 11-12-2018, 10:08 PM

27,939 posts, read 24,965,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This! I simply don't get the Nashville hype! Great city but when you get down to it...doesn't have big city amenities!!
Of course Nashville has big city amenities. There are still more that can be added, most notably in terms of transit, but there are still plenty others in the areas of performing and visual arts, great universities, professional sports, great dining and shopping, robust nightlife, various entertainment options, large concerts and special events, etc.

As usual, you seem to be envious of Southern boomtowns. It's such a predictable pattern at this point.

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I agree. Nashville is a tourist town for some. It also appears to be a growing business mecca. As far as big city living options like the visual and performing arts, shopping, neighborhood selection, transit and other things that appeals to urbanites, Nashville is lacking when compared to Saint Louis and New Orleans.

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

6,389 posts, read 10,413,820 times
Quote:
You keep saying "great city, but..." then you dog it. You don't like Nashville. You make that very evident in your posts. Spare us the fake kindness and just say what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or