Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,122 times

Advertisements

Hey people!!I want to here some opinions about what you think and where you think it will be better to live,
I’m a male 25 single and have my own business, witch can work in either city, I have been to both, but never to long I here a lot that people say that people are really nice in Denver but what about the people in Las Vegas? HOw is it being single in such a crazy city (Vegas)? How bad is the winter in Denver? And over all witch is a better place in you’re opinion to live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 08:51 PM

48 posts, read 70,138 times
Vegas.

Denver is suffering growing pains and a ridiculous and unreasonable cost of living.

Vegas is growing fast too, but not fast to the point that is dropping the quality of life in the area. Imo Denver definitely has better weather than Vegas which is absurdly hot. Denver has a 4 season climate but none of them are extreme.

Despite this, if I was in your shoes I would still choose Vegas unless you have a lot of money and can tolerate congestion and absurd amounts of transplants on the daily.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:55 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatedPenguin View Post
Vegas.

Denver is suffering growing pains and a ridiculous and unreasonable cost of living.

Vegas is growing fast too, but not fast to the point that is dropping the quality of life in the area. Imo Denver definitely has better weather than Vegas which is absurdly hot. Denver has a 4 season climate but none of them are extreme.

Despite this, if I was in your shoes I would still choose Vegas unless you have a lot of money and can tolerate congestion and absurd amounts of transplants on the daily.
Denver experiences 5 straight months of freezes and gets snow in May and October. Not even where I grew up in New York was that bad.

Have to give this one to Las Vegas, cheaper, closer to other major cities, and better weather (subjective of course) and palm trees

Old 05-23-2018, 09:07 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
NV has no state income tax so that's a nice perk.

I would personally lean towards LV simply for its uniqueness but I don't have much experience with Denver.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:16 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
If you can comfortably afford either, I'd pick Denver. Denver winters aren't that bad. It's not dreary or snowy for months on end. 50 and 60 degree days are common in January and February. Denver summers are infinitely more tolerable than Vegas.

Denver has a more diversified economy and lower unemployment than Vegas, too.

Vegas has fantastic food and entertainment options, but at the end of the day it's a garish caricature of real life.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:34 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,000 times
I think either one is good, both have their pluses and minuses. Las Vegas is cheaper and hotter with a great nightlife but the economy isn't as diversified as another poster commented. Denver is greener and has more moderate temps but with them being in the middle of the country along the eastern side of the Rockies their weather is unpredictable. One day it could be 60 or 70 the next 20 or 30 as a high. Denver is also isolated from other cities but has the mountains. Vegas is close to Southern California and a lot of national parks.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:49 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
It also depends on what you like in a city. If you enjoy the suburban lifestyle, LV is for you. It's cheaper and you won't have to deal with winter if you dislike snow. I have plenty of friends from LA who have moved to Denver and if they can handle the cold in Denver, anyone can. It's not a consistent below freezing and gloomy for weeks or months at a time like the Midwest or Northeast. Denver is better if you can handle some cold, can afford the higher COL, and prefer more urban cities. Denver has urbanized a lot in the core and has much better public transit. But if you're not a fan of any cold at all and don't care about urban/walkable neighborhoods, might as well save money and move to LV.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:26 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Denver experiences 5 straight months of freezes and gets snow in May and October. Not even where I grew up in New York was that bad.

Have to give this one to Las Vegas, cheaper, closer to other major cities, and better weather (subjective of course) and palm trees
Denver can get snow in May and October, but that doesn't mean that it always happens. It didn't snow at all this May. Also in the last 10 years, only 5/10 of the first snows have happened in October (Same with snows in May for the last 10 years). Like others have already said in this thread, Denver doesn't just stay consistently cold/snowy for 5 months. This last winter in particular was very pleasant with little snow. Nowhere in NY is comparable.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:45 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshnov2 View Post
Hey people!!I want to here some opinions about what you think and where you think it will be better to live,
I’m a male 25 single and have my own business, witch can work in either city, I have been to both, but never to long I here a lot that people say that people are really nice in Denver but what about the people in Las Vegas? HOw is it being single in such a crazy city (Vegas)? How bad is the winter in Denver? And over all witch is a better place in you’re opinion to live
I am not business savvy but I do know that taxes are much lower in Nevada than Colorado.

Las Vegas not only has much lower taxes, but is a much more affordable city.

The only thing about Las Vegas is that it has an incredibly high violent crime rate and lots of very, very unappealing areas. Luckily, with Las Vegas an extra couple of hundred on rent can make a big difference in the area.

In general for many people moving to Denver they spend more than anticipated because it is a very expensive city. Las Vegas has a much lower barrier to entry and is much easier on the pocketbook as long as one doesn't participate in the nightlife.

Denver is very polite but I would not call in friendly, in my opinion it is a pretentious city these days. Las Vegas has a stereotype of not being friendly, but I personally consider it middle-of the road when it comes to friendliness.

Denver has many mild winter days. There are downslope winds in December thru February where high temperatures can be as warm as 75 in the middle-of winter. But there are also many days in Denver of sub-freezing cold and it's not uncommon to have sub-zero nights.

The average-winter time high is around 45 but it varies far more than your average city because they get severe cold from the Canada and also very warm, dry downslope winds. The average low is about 15 because of the low humidity once the sun goes down it gets cold very quickly.

Denver tends to be relatively chilly spring-time weather with occasional snow in March and April. The early spring tends to be half cold weather and half nice, mild days.

With Denver winters, it is not the severity of the winter but how long it lasts and how many cold spring days there are with snow in March and April common.

Neither city is my cup of tea. I would prefer Las Vegas myself just because I prefer very warm weather.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:17 PM

39 posts, read 57,478 times
I've been to both and I definitely prefer Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City