Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:04 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times

Advertisements

I've only been to Richmond a few times, but it has a lot of urban/hipster energy that much of CLT doesn't have. There seems to be more of a sense of place there, where CLT seems more like "anywhere USA."

I went to Charlotte for a weekend the weekend before Christmas. For reference, I used to live in Indianapolis. I was very, very impressed. Everything seemed pretty new, up to date, and the housing market is very reasonable, probably more than RVA. I was in Richmond back in the fall and it's just nowhere near as new and shiny as Charlotte. I'm also no fan of the state of VA's aggressive traffic enforcement.

I fly only a couple of times a year at most. Unless there is an absolutely massive difference in cost and you fly frequently, I wouldn't let that be a huge deciding factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 01:54 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
For the sake of the poll, Charlotte seems like it would be the best fit for you. It's just on much better trajectory than Richmond is at the moment.

I see though that you said you were considering South Carolina and that's not a bad choice either. Greenville is super hot at the moment and much cheaper than Charlotte. It's also located in a favorable position between Atlanta and Charlotte, so that if you wanted to take advantage of things those cities have to offer you'd be just a short drive away from either.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:07 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
To the OP, have you considered if looking at South Carolina the possibility of Columbia? It's very clearly trending up and while smaller than either Charlotte or Richmond offers plenty of opportunity in your respective careers. The cost of living is well below the national average, particularly with housing. The climate is about what you might expect in Charlotte but a tinge warmer in the winter with pretty much zero chance of icing. As the state capital and home to a major university (U of South Carolina) it punches well above it's size in terms of amenities and doesn't suffer the traffic/congestion issues of the other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City