U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Antonio vs. Denver vs. Sacramento vs. Other
San Antonio, TX 19 31.67%
Denver, CO 19 31.67%
Sacramento, CA 19 31.67%
Other - please elaborate in post 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2008, 06:54 PM

421 posts, read 571,399 times

Advertisements

San Antonio is growing fast, but I wonder how much of that growth is being fueled by Mexican illegals rushing across the border who take up low end jobs. Unless you want a distinctly south of the border experience, you might want to avoid San Antonio.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 09:00 PM

2,502 posts, read 7,888,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
San Antonio is growing fast, but I wonder how much of that growth is being fueled by Mexican illegals rushing across the border who take up low end jobs. Unless you want a distinctly south of the border experience, you might want to avoid San Antonio.
Now, that's a bit ignorant. San Antonio does have a good deal of Latin influence (duh, it's San Antonio), and yes, some of it is illegal (like anywhere in the country). But the standards of living are actually quite high. Business is thriving there and the residents are happy.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:50 AM

2,548 posts, read 5,131,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post

First of all, if they are illegal they are not included in the population growth or numbers.

San Antonio is almost 40 percent white. There are more white people in San Antonio than the pop. of Columbus, Oh. San Antonio looks like any other modern American city. Of course the historic downtown area has it's European feel. It was founded by Spaniards.

Every month San Antonio does attract tens of thousands of wealthy Mexicans who come here to shop at high end shopping malls, etc. I would say they are a major contribution to the 26 million yearly visitors.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:19 AM

37 posts, read 89,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Does Sacramento actually get that "ocean air" smell? Hard to describe exactly what it smells like, but it's one of the first things I noticed when I drove into San Diego, even when I was a good 35 miles from the coast-- it smells heavenly. Does "SacTown" get that too?
Having spent a lot of time on the coast, I know exactly what you mean. The short answer is no, Sacramento does not get the nice salty/wet/clean smell that the sea-side cities do. Sacramento is pretty far inland, and only gets the sea-breeze because of the gap in the Coast Ranges. But as Rgb mentioned, is does have a diverse set of smells dependent on location. Down by the river(s), it smells fresh (think of a eucalyptus), many of the rail-depots and such still smell of steam locomotives, and the ag-areas do smell very much like citrus.

I forget to mention, in my earlier post, some of Sac's downsides. Yes, there is a pollution problem. Sadly, much of it is not the fault of Sacramentans, because the same sea-breeze that cools things off also brings in the smog from the San Francisco area. Also, it has some serious issues with flooding. If you're smart, you can easily avoid living in areas that are subject to flooding, but serious floods do hit the area once a decade or so. The area really has had very little earthquake related issues (it's not near any major faults), but is susceptible to grassfires and even the occasional tornado (although they’re rare enough as to be beyond concern). As a resident, you have to accept the fact that, even though you’re not likely to be hit by a major natural disaster, California is hit by them every year, and the impacts from these will economically affect Sacramento indirectly (California is victim to earthquake, floods, fires, volcanoes, mudslides, etc).

Sacramento is basically a rural-redneck town that got big, and as such you have to be prepared for lots of country music, cowboys, tractors pulls, tractor shows, and a general down-home (almost Southern) feel. I personally like this atmosphere, but I know it puts a lot of people off to the area, so it’s certainly something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or