Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:46 PM

8 posts, read 97,968 times

Advertisements

I am a graduate student trying to decide between Syracuse University and University at Buffalo for the masters program in Speech language Pathology.
I need your help! Any thoughts, opinions about the school, program, surrounding area, community.. ANYTHING!!!

I'm from Toronto Canada, so I don't know much about either city...

THANKS AGAIN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 12,305 times
Hi there, I think I may be able to help a little. Let me first say I'm going to be a little biased, because I'm going to attend the University at Buffalo as a pharmacy student in its upcoming class.

Both Syracuse University and the University at Buffalo are great schools, first off. I can't speak of the Masters in Speech-Language Pathology for either school, but both are well-respected academically. In terms of costs, there is generally going to be a large difference. Since Buffalo is part of the SUNY system, tuition for in-state residents (even for graduate/professional programs ) will be less than Syracuse. I'm not sure of out-of-state tuiton costs, but I would think it would still be less than Syracuse (which is private). Now, at least for my particular program, you can be awarded in-state tuition after living in NY for one year; in other words, the second year of your masters could be less. Again, definitely check with the school to ask about this. I'm not guaranteeing anything.

In terms of the area, Buffalo is the larger of the two cities. I'm assuming your program would be taught at UB's North Campus (which is in suburban Amherst, NY). Syracuse University is located in the city of Syracuse, and is supposedly very pretty looking--stately, lots of cool architecture, etc. There's also the Carrier Dome if following college sports is your thing. The city is sort of in the middle of nowhere; it's sandwiched between Albany and Rochester. Buffalo, although it has experienced economic decline, has largely stabilized. It's right on the Canadian Border, about two hours from your hometown of Toronto. You also have professional sports not far way--Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bisons. Since UB's North Campus (if your program is on the South Campus, that's another deal) is located in suburbia, it's safe and quiet. But you can always go downtown for a plethora of entertainment options. A word about the weather: both Buffalo and Syracuse get TONS of snow. In terms of Buffalo, that's because of the lake-effect. However, in the summer, Lake Erie acts as a natural air conditioner for Buffalo. So there's an upside to it.

So really, it all comes down to your tastes. If you want stately and expensive, choose Syracuse. Or if you want a little bit uglier but better location, go Buffalo. Really, you can't go wrong with either school. But definitely see how good both programs are and compare them. That's why you're going there, after all.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 PM

I really appreciate your help. I don't have much time to decide as Syracuse want their reply in a week. but I think I'm leaning towards Bbuffalo (closer to home -- which is a factor) I'm not fond of the area though -- OH yes, I am on the South Campus =(
Any pointers on suburbs to live in that are driving distance from the South Campus?

Old 03-12-2008, 07:48 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad student View Post
Any pointers on suburbs to live in that are driving distance from the South Campus?
Why not just live in the University Heights? the area right around south campus... thats a lot of who lives there - UB students. A I think a lot of them end up making the drive up to North from there or take UB's little shuttle thing from S to N.

Then again , you could do that.. but reversed live close to North and take the shuttle to South. or drive from Amherst.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
Why not just live in the University Heights? the area right around south campus... thats a lot of who lives there - UB students. A I think a lot of them end up making the drive up to North from there or take UB's little shuttle thing from S to N.

Then again , you could do that.. but reversed live close to North and take the shuttle to South. or drive from Amherst.
I'm not so sure about the area around South Campus. Why does it get so abandoned so quickly only a few streets away from the campus?
It didn't help that I was told that the "buddy system" is recommended when on campus/walking to and from cars etc... -- what are you thoughts on this?
Safety is my main concern. Being unfarmiliar with the area I worry a bit about moving to an unknown neighborhood. I have also found alot of posts about how bad the South Campus is -- maybe it's a bit exaggerated?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:20 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,474 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure about the area around South Campus. Why does it get so abandoned so quickly only a few streets away from the campus?
It didn't help that I was told that the "buddy system" is recommended when on campus/walking to and from cars etc... -- what are you thoughts on this?
Safety is my main concern. Being unfarmiliar with the area I worry a bit about moving to an unknown neighborhood. I have also found alot of posts about how bad the South Campus is -- maybe it's a bit exaggerated?
I have friends who live there..and im down there semi-frequently. I dont think its that bad in fact I like that neighrborhood. Its my second choice for where I want to live. I think its actually overpriced because its college kids. Landlords there know the rents getting paid with student loan money so I think the rents are high for the more lived-in / shabby look to the neighhood. (This doesn't bother me personally because i cant think of anything that I absolutely despise more than new/vinyl clad and completely fake suburbia) Legitimately there is more thefts and breakins in the area, Id guess mostly perpetrated by college kids.. the University district (south rather than west of UB South) is probably worse because it is closer to the real ghetto - the east side.. east of main st. but still.. i think all this is more the complaints of panicky white people afraid of cities/black people.

Either way, if you are that worried about it, move to amherst near UB north. Its your typical suburb and where most of the money in WNY has wound up. There is a shuttle service between south and north so even though you are driving you can avoid having to deal with parking or whatever else

Edit just to clarify: West of Main is the "University Heights" neighborhood.. east of Main and south of Winspear is the "University District".

Buffalo Neighborhoods Clickable Map -- Arts & Sciences Libraries, UB Libraries

Best thing to do tho.. is once you start going there.. just talk to other students see where they live, and what they think

Old 03-14-2008, 01:16 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,840 times
Quote:
I am a graduate student trying to decide between Syracuse University and University at Buffalo for the masters program in Speech language Pathology.
I need your help! Any thoughts, opinions about the school, program, surrounding area, community.. ANYTHING!!!

I'm from Toronto Canada, so I don't know much about either city...

THANKS AGAIN!
SUNYAB South Campus's neighborhood has changed drastically in the past 15 years. Many older people moved out/sold out/died and the homes either became student housing or the prices fell if there were crime problems. There are many choices for housing. First, SUNY North Campus has lots of new student housing/apartment locations. If that doesn't appeal to you, look to Williamsville (out Main St), to Kenmore (lots of double homes), to North Buffalo ( I would suggest between Delaware and Colvin north of Delaware Park). Around the campus in Amherst, the rents will be higher. Avoid the area arounf Allenhurst -- what was SUNYAB grad housing in the 1970s is now ramshackle welfare housing. Kenmore and N. Buffalo would be less expensive than Williamsville.

I have lived here 40 years; it isn't even a 2 hour drive to Toronto on a decent day -- depending on if you cross the border with good time.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:21 AM

28 posts, read 156,482 times
My daughter went to Syracuse University, and we live in Buffalo. Now she is a Law Student at UB. Although she enjoyed her time at SU, there really was not a whole lot to do there. Buffalo at least, has many choices as far as sports, arts, bars, restaurants, shopping, whatever you are looking for.

The tuition is definitely a consideration!! UB is a bargain. We paid through the nose for SU for every little thing. Parking was extra, etc...

Even if you are going to be at the south campus, travel is very easy if you have a car, and most places around would only be a 10 minute drive. UB North Campus has nice housing for graduate students, and the UB bus runs between the south and north campus continually. Also,there are lots of apartments and condos around north campus on Chestnut Ridge Road and in that area. Hope that helps!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:06 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,422,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askmeaboutwesternny View Post
Although she enjoyed her time at SU, there really was not a whole lot to do there. Buffalo at least, has many choices as far as sports, arts, bars, restaurants, shopping, whatever you are looking for.
Come'on! Syracuse offers almost all the same stores and most of the same type of restaurants, bars and sports that Buffalo offers. I bet she never left campus (The Hill) just like the rest of the SU students.

Sports:
AHL Hockey
SU Football
SU Basketball
SU Lacrosse
Triple A baseball

Shopping:
Carousel Mall has most of the same stores as Walden Galleria
Route 31 has tons of the big box shopping centers
Even Syracuse's biggest eyesore...Erie Blvd East... still has many many stores left

Restaurants:
Sure the Buffalo area has more restaurants since it double the population of the Syracuse area, but Syracuse has a wide range of different types of ethic restaurants too.

Bars:
Armory Square has numerous bars

Arts:
Syracuse has a Symphony, an Opera, Everson Museum and a Performing Arts Center.

Take a look at my post in the Syracuse forum for more information about things to do in the Syracuse area:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...e-what-do.html

Old 03-17-2008, 06:08 AM

I really appreciate everyone's posts!
Thank you so much for helping me out (nobody even bothered to respond on the Syracuse forum -- wonder why that is...)
I think UB may be my choice... =)
now to look into the places to live (thanks for your suggestions)...
THANKS AGAIN -- this forum has really eased some of my worries...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City