Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which ghetto would you live in?
Los Angeles 106 20.66%
Oakland 37 7.21%
Houston 43 8.38%
Chicago 51 9.94%
Atlanta 35 6.82%
Miami 46 8.97%
Philadelphia 48 9.36%
Cleveland 12 2.34%
Baltimore 23 4.48%
Washington, D.C. 30 5.85%
NYC 140 27.29%
Buffalo 36 7.02%
Detroit 21 4.09%
St. Louis 14 2.73%
New Orleans 30 5.85%
El Paso 42 8.19%
Other-(Must be bad. Not like Seattle or Portland or similar.) 46 8.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:19 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times

Advertisements

Also NYC criminals are the worst. Despite having enormous police presence, these neighborhoods still manage to commit crime. Imagine if Brooklyn, Uptown or the Bronx had less police? So far this year we have a glimpse of that. Police numbers are down slightly, and there is a 30% increase in murders. NYC is on pace for about 650 murders, the highest it's been in 7 years.

Trust me, those Philly criminals ain't got nothing on NYC's. The criminals here have found ways to overcome the police and get away with felonies. Criminals elsewhere don't know how to deal with police presence. That is why with a slight drop in police, NYC has spiked in homicides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:26 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Also NYC criminals are the worst. Despite having enormous police presence, these neighborhoods still manage to commit crime. Imagine if Brooklyn, Uptown or the Bronx had less police? So far this year we have a glimpse of that. Police numbers are down slightly, and there is a 30% increase in murders. NYC is on pace for about 650 murders, the highest it's been in 7 years.

Trust me, those Philly criminals ain't got nothing on NYC's. The criminals here have found ways to overcome the police and get away with felonies. Criminals elsewhere don't know how to deal with police presence. That is why with a slight drop in police, NYC has spiked in homicides.
That's another thing. Crimes in St. Louis are a shooting or a robbery, crimes in New York City are just disturbing. I mean there are court cases regarding decapitations being held right now in the city.

NYPD decreased starting pay to $25,100 per year compared to the State Police $60,000 starting, Suffolk County Police Department pays $58,000 starting, and Nassau County police starting pay increases by over $10,000 in 6 months and by the time you're 26 you can be making $100,000 per year as a patrolman and by then you'll be eligible to become a detective and that'll increase your salary by a ton. Hm, which one should I choose? And for all those departments, besides NYPD, you get great retirement and you'll only be 41 years old! Like 50% of your pay, which could easily be $150,000 per year while you're not even working and since you're only 41 you'd be so qualified/experienced that you're pretty much guaranteed a job as head of security at a place like Madison Square Garden making 6 digits. So you could be 41 years old bringing in $400,000 or more or you can join NYPD and retire with less money than the departments I mentioned starting salaries. I know many people who are doing this. Also, FDNY pays about the same AND has better hours, which is why many NYPD officers are leaving the police for the fire department. And about 90% of FDNY applicants last year were former NYPD police officers. NYPD is going to fall apart because the salary is crap, benefits are crap, retirment is crap, police cars are crap (air conditioning not working is one of the many problems).

Queensbridge is really bad also.

YouTube - Tragedy: the Story of Queensbridge by Booker Sim

Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Pt. 2 (they're from QB)

YouTube - Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Pt. Ii

Mobb Deep - Hit It from the Back (I just like this song)

YouTube - Hit It From The Back - Mobb Deep

Last edited by Futcha; 03-26-2008 at 09:47 AM..

Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times
I think I want to change my answer to LA. Even Compton has a lot of nicer amenities like Starbucks.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:51 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
This is a complicated question to answer for me since I haven't even been in most of the places on the list.

Just speaking on NYC. NYC is so big in terms of population and all kinds of other factors that even the ghettos vary a lot. For instance Wash Heights ghetto is nowhere near as bad as Brownsville or East New York ghetto.

One of the scariest ghettos I've seen portrayed on tv are the Baltimore ghettos. Wow.

Also ghetto Chicago in the 80's-early 90's, just going from what I've seen in documentaries, wow, scary places.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:06 AM

162 posts, read 271,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I can't believe so many are saying NYC. I mean, the buildings are so dirty and old. I'd rather live in Compton than just walk through some of those NYC ghettos like certain areas of the Bronx and northern Manhattan.
I'd definitely take the ghettos in uptown Manhattan over the ghettos I've passed through in LA because:

The buildings are nicer.
They looked cleaner.
NYC is a better city.

I've been to East LA, and they have to be some of the most disgusting ghettos I've seen in my life. They looked like ghettos I've passed through in third-world South American countries.

I've been very sheltered entire life and I was initially scared of going uptown when I would visit New York. I thought Harlem would be a dumpy war zone but I was shocked when I went around the area. It was much nicer than I thought it would be. So many beautiful buildings and nice parks. First of all, I felt much safer walking in Harlem than walking in ANY Los Angeles ghetto. Also, Harlem is the only "ghetto" I've seen where homes sell for 4 million dollars and penthouses sell for $8,000,000. Harlem and it's surrounding areas look better to my eyes than East LA, Pico-Union, and Watts. Harlem also has much more potential than Compton, East LA, because those areas will remain ghettos forever, whereas Harlem, Washington Heights etc. are all part of precious Manhattan and are in the process of transformation.

Last edited by KYLE1; 03-26-2008 at 09:42 AM..

Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times
Quote:
The people here are funny. How can you choose a NYC ghetto over East St. Louis, Detroit, Cleveland etc.........The ghetto's there are empty. Nobody is there. How are you in any danger? Walk through the Bronx and on every block you have 20 dudes just hanging out chilling. On the next block, same thing. The next block same thing....and it goes on and on. NYC has vicious ghettos, criminals are everywhere. Anybody can go up to you and stab you. You can be caught in a vicious gun fight. Mixed up in a drug bust. Meanwhile in camden, you're by your lonesome.

Lots of low-income people = lots of crime

nobody around = nothing happens

Capiche?
That's why I want to just end up moving out west or something where there really is nothing!

As far as the comment about Camden(NJ I assume),I've gotten lost in some areas there that you're not exactly alone^ I saw plenty of people 'chilling'

Old 03-26-2008, 09:15 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times
Quote:
Don't kid yourself there,they're pretty lawless here also. Philly held the record just within the past couple of years for most murderous city in the country! And most of that was due also to police cutbacks.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:29 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE1 View Post
I'd definitely take the ghettos in uptown Manhattan than the ghettos I've passed through in LA because:

The buildings are nicer.

They looked cleaner.

In a better city.

I've been to ghettos in East LA, and they have to be some of the most disgusting ghettos I've seen in my life. I've been very sheltered and I thought Harlem would be a dumpy war zone but I was shocked when I went around the area. It was much nicer than I thought it would be. First of all, I felt much safer walking in Harlem than walking in ANY Los Angeles ghetto. Also, Harlem is the only "ghetto" I've seen where homes sell for 4 million dollars and penthouses sell for $8,000,000. Harlem and it's surrounding areas look better to my eyes than East LA, Pico Pico-Union, and Watts. Harlem has much more potential than Compton, East LA, because those areas will remain ghettos forever, whereas Harlem, Washington Heights etc. are all part of precious Manhattan and will be transformed.
Western Harlem got better, East Harlem is very dangerous. Like I said, neighborhoods in NYC go from good to bad extremely quick. You can be in a rich neighborhood, turn the corner, and catch yourself in the ghetto.

If NYPD doesn't dramatically raise the starting salary, we're screwed.

Last edited by Futcha; 03-26-2008 at 10:34 AM..

Old 03-26-2008, 09:34 AM

162 posts, read 271,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Western Harlem is getting better, East Harlem is very dangerous. Like I said, neighborhoods in NYC go from good to bad extremely quick. You can be in a rich neighborhood, turn the corner, and catch yourself in the ghetto.

As for LA being a better city, don't strain it beyond the limit.

I said New York was the (much) better city!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
I also have seen some ghetto parts of Miami on tv, on shows like the first 48 on A&E. It looked like a third world country. Seriously. But again I haven't been to a lot of these places, I can't give a 100% answer.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-26-2008 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City