Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities should host world cup matches?
Atlanta 76 40.21%
Baltimore 13 6.88%
Boston 46 24.34%
Cincinnati 18 9.52%
Dallas 70 37.04%
Denver 39 20.63%
Edmonton 24 12.70%
Guadalajara 41 21.69%
Houston 60 31.75%
Kansas City 17 8.99%
Los Angeles 101 53.44%
Mexico City 84 44.44%
Miami 76 40.21%
Monterrey 40 21.16%
Montreal 59 31.22%
Nashville 16 8.47%
New York/New Jersey 80 42.33%
Orlando 21 11.11%
Philadelphia 46 24.34%
San Francisco 51 26.98%
Seattle 72 38.10%
Toronto 83 43.92%
Washington DC 65 34.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 07:12 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownsFinest View Post
Where is Chicago man that sucks anyways go Colombia! Hahaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I can't believe Chicago and the Twin Cities weren't even considered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Chicago and Minneapolis voluntarily dropped out during the application process, so they could of made it to the "group of 17", but chose not to continue. I guess you would have to take it up with those city officials (Mayor/City Council/whoever owns Soldier Field and US Bank Stadium).
"Phoenix, Chicago, Minneapolis and Vancouver opted not to be part of the bid citing concerns about inking a contract so far out with FIFA, soccer’s world governing body."

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...en-t-part.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 06:11 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
"Phoenix, Chicago, Minneapolis and Vancouver opted not to be part of the bid citing concerns about inking a contract so far out with FIFA, soccer’s world governing body."

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...en-t-part.html
Good for them. Although Chicago and Minneapolis would have been the closest cities to me, it's nice to know they have integrity.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:26 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Picked

Atlanta
Boston
Dallas
Edmonton
Houston
Los Angeles
Mexico City
Miami
Monterrey
Montreal
New York/New Jersey
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Seattle
Toronto
Washington DC
You have too many US cities, only 10 will be chosen from the 17 left, plus you left out Guadalajara.

The 3 Mexican cities and 3 Canadian cities named are set in stone and will be 6 out of the 16 cities to host matches.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:17 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,971,509 times
My ten US Cities:

Los Angeles
San Francisco
Houston
Dallas
Kansas City
Atlanta
Miami
Philly
DC
NYC

The only thing I'm not so sure about is FIFA giving Texas two cities. I could see one of them being replaced with Orlando because of the theme parks and attractions. On the other hand, if that happens then perhaps Atlanta would not host.

Also Seattle is left out and they too have a large soccer following. So many choices!

Old 06-14-2018, 01:56 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
You have too many US cities, only 10 will be chosen from the 17 left, plus you left out Guadalajara.

The 3 Mexican cities and 3 Canadian cities named are set in stone and will be 6 out of the 16 cities to host matches.
I only have 11 US cities, not sure which will not make the cut but I would guess one of the 2 Texas cities.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:10 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
The only thing I'm not so sure about is FIFA giving Texas two cities. I could see one of them being replaced with Orlando because of the theme parks and attractions. On the other hand, if that happens then perhaps Atlanta would not host.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see who makes the final 10.

I just don't see them picking both Dallas/Houston or Miami/Orlando and especially DC/Baltimore. For me, I think one or the other will make the Final 10, my picks, Dallas, Miami, and DC.

I feel the only locks are New York, LA and Boston (because of Kraft). Not sure if they want to spread the games out or not. I could see Nashville and Atlanta vying for a single host selection site.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:10 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,072 times
Although Dallas is more centrally located, I would choose Houston instead of only one Texas City could host.

Houston seems to be a better MLS area.
It would serve the entire gulf coast catchment area whereas somewhere like KC would be even more centralized then Dallas.
Houston has had better attendance then Dallas every single year it has been in the league.
Houston has had 4 conference championships and 2 MLS cup wins.
Dallas has no wins and has only made one appearance.

Although Dallas has more sports offerings with longer histories, when it comes to hosting major events such as the super bowl, final four, etc, Houston send to do better based on attendee reviews.

Also in the last few years Houston teams have been doing better which had a positive effect on local support. The Astros, Rockets and Dynamo have all enjoyed recent post season success.

Finally the central location of Houston's stadiums which are all a short distance from each other via rail combined with the diverse Latin American population in Houston imo gives it a leg up on Dallas.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:26 AM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Although Dallas is more centrally located, I would choose Houston instead of only one Texas City could host.

Houston seems to be a better MLS area.
It would serve the entire gulf coast catchment area whereas somewhere like KC would be even more centralized then Dallas.
Houston has had better attendance then Dallas every single year it has been in the league.
Houston has had 4 conference championships and 2 MLS cup wins.
Dallas has no wins and has only made one appearance.

Although Dallas has more sports offerings with longer histories, when it comes to hosting major events such as the super bowl, final four, etc, Houston send to do better based on attendee reviews.

Also in the last few years Houston teams have been doing better which had a positive effect on local support. The Astros, Rockets and Dynamo have all enjoyed recent post season success.

Finally the central location of Houston's stadiums which are all a short distance from each other via rail combined with the diverse Latin American population in Houston imo gives it a leg up on Dallas.
To me the bolded part is a bigger deal than anything if FIFA decided they had to pick between these two. AT&T is a wonderful stadium, easily top 3 in the US, but its located essentially in the middle of nowhere. NRG is better located and more accessible from the rest of the city. Its just a better fit for the World Cup imo.

With that said, I'd like to see them both host. A World Cup semifinal at AT&T or NRG would be nuts.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:55 AM

140 posts, read 141,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
To me the bolded part is a bigger deal than anything if FIFA decided they had to pick between these two. AT&T is a wonderful stadium, easily top 3 in the US, but its located essentially in the middle of nowhere. NRG is better located and more accessible from the rest of the city. Its just a better fit for the World Cup imo.

With that said, I'd like to see them both host. A World Cup semifinal at AT&T or NRG would be nuts.
The Cotton Bowl at Dallas is Fair Park is also a possibility which is centrally Located and connected to rail

Old 06-15-2018, 08:59 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,971,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_wu View Post
The Cotton Bowl at Dallas is Fair Park is also a possibility which is centrally Located and connected to rail
The Cotton Bowl would never host over AT&T Stadium for the World Cup. Just like with the new stadium in Inglewood, they won't host any matches at the LA Coliseum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City