Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:20 PM

354 posts, read 627,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Nothing in Greenville but ECU. Let's be real. Even ECU alums quickly skate out of town after games, and say they wouldn't live there.
Greenville also has a major Hospital/Medical District which is the largest in Eastern North Carolina. And what does Florence have that make people want to stay there????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 02:45 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
Florence has two hospital systems. It is the major medical hub in northeastern SC.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Florence has multiple hospitals.

People who live in Florence found a job there or they retired there.
The same can be said for Greenville.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
The same can be said for Greenville.
I understand that.

Why do you think Florence 'should' have boomed more than it has?

I think one of the best aspects of Florence is it isn't a big city. It definitely has had steady growth though.

Here's a recent article about Florence's population and economic growth: http://www.scnow.com/news/local/arti...a00f8b572.html

Old 04-05-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I understand that.

Why do you think Florence 'should' have boomed more than it has?

I think one of the best aspects of Florence is it isn't a big city. It definitely has had steady growth though.

Here's a recent article about Florence's population and economic growth: New census data shows population decline in most Pee Dee counties, cities | Local News | scnow.com
I'm not saying that it didn't boom, I'm sure Florence is a thriving city. I would love to visit Florence and see the city for myself. I was just curious to know between Greenville NC and
Florence SC which city has more boom and progressiveness.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:22 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
I hear nice things about Florence too though, what are some of the issues that Florence has for the reason it not booming like it should have?
That's actually a good question. The other three regions of the state have anchor cities, all of similar sizes (Greenville--Upstate, Columbia--Midlands, Charleston--Lowcountry) but the Pee Dee doesn't. The Pee Dee region wasn't as historically important as the other regions and was poorer. Obviously Charleston had the head start in the state, Columbia was created to be the capital and was designated the home of the state's flagship university, and the Upstate got Clemson and was the epicenter of the textile industry. Florence didn't really have anything to compare; the largest universities in the area, Francis Marion and Coastal, were established in the 50's and 60's. So basically, the region was neglected by the state for most of its history and is only now playing catch-up.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:56 AM

Florence is bigger than Clemson and Anderson. Greenville didn't grow because of Clemson almost a hour away.

Private companies decide where to locate based on their business needs and their own preferences. It generally has nothing to do with the state government.

I don't think Francis Marion and Coastal are doing much scientific research to aid in any economic development in the region. I think it is possible that Coastal will get engineering programs in the next 20 years as the state gets more populated.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-06-2018 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Florence is bigger than Clemson and Anderson. Greenville didn't grow because of Clemson almost a hour away.
Greenville certainly benefits from Clemson's Upstate presence.

Quote:
Private companies decide where to locate based on their business needs and their own preferences. It has nothing to do with the state government.
State government can and does often steer economic development to certain areas, but I wasn't trying private industry to state government efforts here.

Quote:
I don't think Francis Marion and Coastal are doing much scientific research to aid in any economic development in the region. I think it is possible that Coastal will get engineering programs in the next 20 years as the state gets more populated.
They are definitely not research institutions; that probably would have helped fuel growth.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:40 AM

68 posts, read 107,570 times
I am quite familiar with both cities. I now live 30 miles west if Greenville, NC and we are moving to Florence, SC.

Greenville, NC: Huge medical hub that supports eastern NC and into Virgina. Only trauma center close to East Coast in NC and Virginia. Home to ECU and is a huge deal there. Greenville, NC is growing rapidly, with road construction from one side to the other. Stantonsburg Rd, Arlington Blvd, Firetower Rd are nightmares in morning and afternoon commutes. Medical Hub is a huge part of Arlington Blvd and Stantonsburg. Greenville has a lot of job opportunities. Located within 90 minutes of Atlantic Beach and Outer Banks, 45 miles to Newbern, which is a beautiful city along Neuse River, 20 miles from Washington, NC, which also sits along Pamplico River. Tar River runs through Greenville. Climate in winter gets down to freezing at nights and usually gets some snowfall, though rarely over 5". Some smaller towns connect with Greenville, such as Winterville and Simpson, which are great areas to live. Pitt County schools are better than most in the area, but could be better. Taxes in NC are high! Gas tax ranks 3rd nationally and property taxes are outrageous. On a $150K home, you will pay average of $2000 yearly in property taxes.

Florence, SC: Right off I95 and has potential for major growth. Downtown Florence is in a huge revitalization and is looking quite charming. Has 2 major hospitals, Carolina and McCloud, which I understand are top notch. Has a good variety of doctors and medical staff. Has great museums, libraires, flea markets, shopping, and 23 festivals a year. The 2 universities aren't what ECU is in Greenville, NC, but is overall good universities. Just not as many college kids hanging out downtown. Greenville, NC us geared towards college students and medical industry. More retirees live in Florence area. Traffic can be bad at times. Florence is more spread out. Charleston is 2 1/2 hours south, Columbia is 20 minutes west, which has Riverside Zoo and is capital of SC. Myrtle Beach is about 45 minutes east. A lot to offer for day trips. A lot of nee subdivisions being built on outskirts of Florence in Effingham and also towards Hartsville. Good industry and jobs. Climate is milder than Greenville, NC and seldom snows. May have an occasional freeze, but not often.

Basically just depends on how you want to spend your time and what's important to you.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathwilms View Post
I am quite familiar with both cities. I now live 30 miles west if Greenville, NC and we are moving to Florence, SC.

Greenville, NC: Huge medical hub that supports eastern NC and into Virgina. Only trauma center close to East Coast in NC and Virginia. Home to ECU and is a huge deal there. Greenville, NC is growing rapidly, with road construction from one side to the other. Stantonsburg Rd, Arlington Blvd, Firetower Rd are nightmares in morning and afternoon commutes. Medical Hub is a huge part of Arlington Blvd and Stantonsburg. Greenville has a lot of job opportunities. Located within 90 minutes of Atlantic Beach and Outer Banks, 45 miles to Newbern, which is a beautiful city along Neuse River, 20 miles from Washington, NC, which also sits along Pamplico River. Tar River runs through Greenville. Climate in winter gets down to freezing at nights and usually gets some snowfall, though rarely over 5". Some smaller towns connect with Greenville, such as Winterville and Simpson, which are great areas to live. Pitt County schools are better than most in the area, but could be better. Taxes in NC are high! Gas tax ranks 3rd nationally and property taxes are outrageous. On a $150K home, you will pay average of $2000 yearly in property taxes.

Florence, SC: Right off I95 and has potential for major growth. Downtown Florence is in a huge revitalization and is looking quite charming. Has 2 major hospitals, Carolina and McCloud, which I understand are top notch. Has a good variety of doctors and medical staff. Has great museums, libraires, flea markets, shopping, and 23 festivals a year. The 2 universities aren't what ECU is in Greenville, NC, but is overall good universities. Just not as many college kids hanging out downtown. Greenville, NC us geared towards college students and medical industry. More retirees live in Florence area. Traffic can be bad at times. Florence is more spread out. Charleston is 2 1/2 hours south, Columbia is 20 minutes west, which has Riverside Zoo and is capital of SC. Myrtle Beach is about 45 minutes east. A lot to offer for day trips. A lot of nee subdivisions being built on outskirts of Florence in Effingham and also towards Hartsville. Good industry and jobs. Climate is milder than Greenville, NC and seldom snows. May have an occasional freeze, but not often.

Basically just depends on how you want to spend your time and what's important to you.
Columbia is definitely farther away than 20 minutes; otherwise it would be in the same metropolitan area as Florence. It's about an hour or so to the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City