Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:14 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I have seen Chicago referred to as being in the Rust belt and can agree with that. Rust belt status is defined by *deindustrialization*. Ever been down to the far South Side where the steel mills used to employ thousands of people and support hundreds of ancillary businesses? Ever ride through the West Side or Northwest Side on the Metra trains past the miles and miles of derilect factories? All of that represented a huge part of Chicago's economy until they all went bust in the 70s/80s. That's Rust Belt.

Take a look at this map: http://siliconrustbelt.com/wp-conten.../rust-belt.jpg
But it wasn't the primary job employer that destroyed the entire area. It was felt very hard in certain areas of the city, but even when everything was going belly up the total number of jobs in the metro kept increasing, and normally with high paying corporate jobs as opposed to very low paying crap jobs like what they were left with in Flint, MI or Youngstown when everything left.

Chicago certainly has elements of rust belt, and while it teetered in the 1970's and 1980's, it never faultered, and fully righted itself in the 1990's and was done with the industrial past for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 09:21 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I think the same can be said for most city downtowns.

Back to the op, what city in Iowa is considered Rust Belt?

My vote goes to Pittsburgh. Great job, PA!
Davenport Iowa for one, Rock Island and Moline on the Illinois side. Quad City area was a heavy manufacturing hub at one point.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:14 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Im thoroughly enjoying the up and coming areas of Detroit. Very underrated city!

Old 04-17-2018, 10:33 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Chicago certainly has elements of rust belt, and while it teetered in the 1970's and 1980's, it never faultered, and fully righted itself in the 1990's and was done with the industrial past for the most part.
To be fair, the term "Rust Belt" is just a catch-all term. Of course there are varying degrees of how "rusty" each city currently is or was based on factors such as historic industry mix in blue-collar trades, how early their turnaround began and how each city has succeeded in revitalizing.

Historically, I don't think there's one meaningfully sized city in the Midwest or Northeast that doesn't have at least a little "Rust Belt" element, either in the city proper or its urban area environs.

Even the most successful post-industrial cities/metros, like Boston or New York, have some "rusty" remnants of the past. This conversation is based on a continuum, not "either-or."

Old 04-17-2018, 10:44 AM

227 posts, read 198,258 times
Many of the major rust-belt metros have or are in the midst of revitalization. Chicago did so long ago, Minneapolis in the early 2000's, Pittsburgh as of late. But also Milwaukee, Grand Rapids, Buffalo... have made lots of progress.

But I think CLE is the next big rust-belt success story.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:01 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Chicago is no more Rust Belt than Boston or Philadelphia, and less Rust Belt than Baltimore.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:04 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
I never heard of Chicago being a Rust Belt City, I always thought it was an international city but to answer the question Pittsburgh even thou I only been to Pittsburgh once it was very nice for a medium type of city.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:06 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Davenport Iowa for one, Rock Island and Moline on the Illinois side. Quad City area was a heavy manufacturing hub at one point.
So Davenport. Thanks, I hadn't considered Davenport.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:14 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Chicago is no more Rust Belt than Boston or Philadelphia, and less Rust Belt than Baltimore.
Chicago is historically a Rustbelt city; it just recovered much faster than the rest.

Is Chicago still a Rust Belt city? | WGN Radio - 720 AM

Old 04-17-2018, 02:51 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Chicago is historically a Rustbelt city; it just recovered much faster than the rest.

Is Chicago still a Rust Belt city? | WGN Radio - 720 AM
What Chicago had heavy industry, it was never as dependent on manufacturing as the true Rust Belt. The Chicago Board of trade and Mercantile Exchange made Chicago as important of a financial center as it was industrial. The economy has always been too well diversified for to be a true Rust Belt city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City