Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 12:24 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex3680 View Post
Generally it does not offer even close to what DC does. You would be too far from VA, and if you are living outside of the city that is where you want to live. Maryland doesn’t compare, including the people. Both cities have crime, that’s evident in many cities. But the parts of Baltimore that don’t are small..DC has a lot more to offer. And environment wise, DC is just beautiful. Definitely one of the nicest looking cities. Baltimore will just be a smaller crappier version of Boston.

One thing I do have to note...DC is by far more intellectual. While you can get away with not really being up there, you might feel kinda lost depending on what your job/lifestyle is. The overall group average of the people of the city way exceeds that of both Boston and Baltimore. But what also comes with this is more competition.
There's nothing that you can do in DC that you can't do in Baltimore, metropolitan wise, or city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Yea, definitely a bit overstated.

The population Baltimore vs. Portland is 9x, but to me, it feels more like 2x. Portland is packed with bars, restaraunts, usable waterfront, etc, and punches well above it's weight. Adversely, I think Baltimore is limited/constrained to a select few neighborhoods, and doesn't feel like a major city (which is why I said it's more like a Portland in it's offerings than a DC/Boston).

Either way, and back to the premise of my initial post- OP, if you don't like Boston, I wouldn't move to DC..
How about we compare neighbors of Portland and Baltimore.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:23 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
There's nothing that you can do in DC that you can't do in Baltimore, metropolitan wise, or city limits.
You can’t eat at a Michelin starred restaurant anywhere in Baltimore or its MSA, among a plethora of other things.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:38 PM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
I'd look in the Odenton area if I was going to be working near Ft. Meade. Convenient to both DC/Balt areas.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You can’t eat at a Michelin starred restaurant anywhere in Baltimore or its MSA, among a plethora of other things.
You're gonna have to do much better than restaurant rankings from a tire company.

What is this plethora that you speak of?

Old 04-24-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
You're gonna have to do much better than restaurant rankings from a tire company.

What is this plethora that you speak of?
Your quote was:

Quote:
I proved that wrong with one sentence, I have nothing left to explain.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Your quote was:

I proved that wrong with one sentence, I have nothing left to explain.
If that's what you want to hang you hat on then. That's more of a compliment to Baltimore.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
If that's what you want to hang you hat on then. That's more of a compliment to Baltimore.
Not hanging my hat on anything. Like I said a plethora.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Not hanging my hat on anything. Like I said a plethora.
Such as?

Old 04-24-2018, 08:11 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
In terms of types of things to do, DC and Baltimore essentially offer the same things--tourist attractions, museums, performing arts, visual arts, fine dining, major league professional sports, parks, etc. But since it's a bigger city/metro and the nation's capital, DC simply offers more within those categories and generally they tend to be of a higher quality (but that's not to say that Baltimore's offerings are low quality because that wouldn't be true). But as the older and more industrial city, Baltimore offers a couple of specific things that aren't found in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City