Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami or Las Vegas outdoor/nature; mid-range dining variety/availability, live music, daily car use?
Miami area 11 78.57%
Las Vegas area 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 PM

269 posts, read 247,004 times

Advertisements

I'm curious of others thoughts between Miami and Las Vegas area for outdoor/nature, lower cost live music/entertainment options, availability of mid range places to eat and varieties of food, ability to get around the area by car.

Last edited by richzimme; 04-25-2018 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: to clarify title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 07:45 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times
I prefer Miami over Vegas for basically everything. I find Miami to be a real city that just happens to have amazing nightlife and entertainment. OTOH, Vegas is more of an entertainment district surrounded by soulless housing for the people that keep the entertainment district running with no real culture behind it. I know I'll get lots of hate for saying this, but that's just my opinion and we're all entitled to one here. AND, clearly millions disagree with me because Vegas is booming.

It depends on the type of nature. If you like hiking and mountains and desert activities, Vegas. If you like water activities, beaches, etc. then Miami is for you.

Vegas live music/entertainment options can get VERY expensive. Also it depends on your gender, sadly. I remember one time I went there with a group of friends, the girls paid $20 to get into a pool party, while the guys we all skipped the pool party because it was $65 for us. Men are seeing as walking bags of money in Vegas. One time I was with a group of 7 girls and they were all being let up to a rooftop bar, but were denying me, the one guy with them. After some arguing, they finally let me up with them, but the girls all got 2 free drink tickets and they luckily shared with me. Now I haven't been out in Miami, but when planning trips there, I've never seen tickets prices as high, nor has there been such disparity between male/female ticket prices. Also, guy friends that went there didn't experience the same gender bias as I did in Vegas. (No, I'm not some creepy old ugly man. 25 year old normal looking non-obvious gay man.)

Vegas might have more of the options you're looking for in entertainment, but that's your own personal preference.

Vegas has a lot of chain restaurants in strip malls, and then pricey hotel restaurants. Miami has actual culture and real ethnic neighborhoods and just normal neighborhoods where normal people live. Finding mid range places to eat and a variety of food is much better in Miami.

Getting around by car in Vegas is easier. Less traffic away from the Strip. Miami is known for road rage and traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City