U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-27-2008, 12:36 AM
 
Location: San Diego
926 posts, read 2,760,119 times
Reputation: 419

Advertisements

explain
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2008, 12:57 AM
 
Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,524,042 times
Reputation: 371
Dense, tall buildings with plenty of people on the streets. Quite crowded during most of the day. Yes it represents it well. What you you OP? You live in San Diego and i'm probably going to be moving there this summer. Tell me about it!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 03:39 AM
 
Location: San Diego
926 posts, read 2,760,119 times
Reputation: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Dense, tall buildings with plenty of people on the streets. Quite crowded during most of the day. Yes it represents it well. What you you OP? You live in San Diego and i'm probably going to be moving there this summer. Tell me about it!
hey there a-team...

San Diego's downtown does not represent the size of the city at ALL, at least, not yet. But I'll give credit where credit is due. Downtown San Diego has a fun nightlife district, funner then almost all other cities I've been to -- even cities with huge downtowns where you would expect a fun nightlife district. San Diego's downtown isn't small in area, but it's definitely small in height considering the cities population, and this is due to the 500 foot restriction in the height of downtown SD buildings because the airport is adjacent to it and the federal aviation administration enforces these laws. Considering the size and natural beauty of San Diego's harbor, it's a shame that these restrictions exist. Downtown San Diego is still a great place though!

ps... downtown san diego has more of an averaged paced feel then a big city bustling feel you would get from places like san francisco, boston, chicago, etc.

Last edited by SouthCali4LifeSD; 03-27-2008 at 04:03 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 03:49 AM
 
3,408 posts, read 8,487,832 times
Reputation: 1922
^Yeah, San Diego does look small for having 1.2 million people and being in the top 10 biggest cities in the U.S. When I first moved there in '97, I had no idea it was that big. I was thinking it was more comparable in size to Portland, OR or Cincinnati, OH. It's downtown has grown in the recent years, and maybe it will be on track to becoming like Tokyo someday, lol.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 03:59 AM
 
Location: San Diego
926 posts, read 2,760,119 times
Reputation: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
^Yeah, San Diego does look small for having 1.2 million people and being in the top 10 biggest cities in the U.S. When I first moved there in '97, I had no idea it was that big. I was thinking it was more comparable in size to Portland, OR or Cincinnati, OH. It's downtown has grown in the recent years, and maybe it will be on track to becoming like Tokyo someday, lol.
haha, that would be awesome! too bad it won't happen in my lifetime
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 04:27 AM
 
3,408 posts, read 8,487,832 times
Reputation: 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
haha, that would be awesome! too bad it won't happen in my lifetime
I'm hoping for Atlanta to become more like Tokyo, but that would probably never happen in my lifetime, and not in a million years. Now if Atlanta wanted to become more like Detroit, that would be a lot easier to achieve and appears to be on the right track. I guess being like Tokyo is an honorable thing, because Tokyo is an awesome city, and I am glad I live just outside that city (about a 45 min. train ride). Since I've been living here, I have seen so many cool things I haven't seen in the States, and wonder if I ever will. I also wonder if San Diego will be the first place I see those things, before Atlanta. I will know if next time I visit San Diego and I use a public restroom, it has a heated toilet seat with push button controls and water that squirts to clean you out, or when I go to a restraunt and it has a wireless push button device that rings for a waiter/waitress to come to the table, or when I wait at the trolley station and it has an electronic melody followed by an automated female voice announcing a trolley is approaching (well, actually San Francisco has that now with their BART trains). The MARTA trains in Atlanta are like that too, with the smart card ticketing system, a digital display message sign, and an onboard TV. Have any of you seen any of the other things I mentioned that Japan has anywhere in the U.S.?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 04:34 AM
 
Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,524,042 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
hey there a-team...

San Diego's downtown does not represent the size of the city at ALL, at least, not yet. But I'll give credit where credit is due. Downtown San Diego has a fun nightlife district, funner then almost all other cities I've been to -- even cities with huge downtowns where you would expect a fun nightlife district. San Diego's downtown isn't small in area, but it's definitely small in height considering the cities population, and this is due to the 500 foot restriction in the height of downtown SD buildings because the airport is adjacent to it and the federal aviation administration enforces these laws. Considering the size and natural beauty of San Diego's harbor, it's a shame that these restrictions exist. Downtown San Diego is still a great place though!

ps... downtown san diego has more of an averaged paced feel then a big city bustling feel you would get from places like san francisco, boston, chicago, etc.

Thanks for responding SouthCali man! So I guess from looking at San Diego's downtown, makes it look smaller than it is. So when you are in San Diego is that kinda deceptive, like it actually is(and feels) really big, the downtown just makes it seem like it would be small?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,187 posts, read 21,760,795 times
Reputation: 6116
Why would anyone want an American city to be like Tokyo?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 17,767,239 times
Reputation: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Why would anyone want an American city to be like Tokyo?
why not? its dense, vibrant, cosmopolitan. a massive urban tapestry. and america is big enough that it won't disrupt our suburban/rural culture.

Last edited by john_starks; 03-27-2008 at 08:04 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 11:29 AM
 
5,649 posts, read 13,610,035 times
Reputation: 3181
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
why not? its dense, vibrant, cosmopolitan. a massive urban tapestry. and america is big enough that it won't disrupt our suburban/rural culture.
I agree. America's populated landscape keeps getting more and more boring over the years. Our once dense, vibrant city neighborhoods are shadows of what they were 50 years ago (or completely eradicated!). Our our big city and small town downtowns are no longer the focal points of commerce, government, and entertainment. Sprawl keeps evolving everywhere there is any population. We are headed to become one huge, sprawling mass. A few Tokyos in the US would at least give us a little variety!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top