Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose which metro area fails to live up to a cosmopolitan vibe?
New York City 11 5.42%
Los Angeles 8 3.94%
Chicago 11 5.42%
Dallas/Fort Worth 34 16.75%
Houston 34 16.75%
Washington DC 5 2.46%
Miami 4 1.97%
Philadelphia 11 5.42%
Atlanta 28 13.79%
Boston 10 4.93%
Phoenix 88 43.35%
San Francisco 11 5.42%
Riverside-San Bernardino, CA 95 46.80%
Detroit 39 19.21%
Seattle 14 6.90%
Minneapolis/St Paul 20 9.85%
San Diego 24 11.82%
Tampa/St Petersburg 61 30.05%
Denver 30 14.78%
Baltimore 38 18.72%
St Louis 50 24.63%
Charlotte 64 31.53%
Orlando 68 33.50%
San Antonio 69 33.99%
Portland 26 12.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 04:57 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,054 times

Advertisements

Houston shouldn't be on the list based off of its diversity alone. It's one of the most diverse cities in the country! And in terms of walkability it's not the best, but still seems miles ahead of some of the newer Sunbelt cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 07:21 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Detroit has the 2nd largest publicly-owned art museum in the US, as well as the 2nd largest theatre district in the country (not to mention the 2nd largest theatre house outside of NYC). It's also home to the largest public market district and the largest flowerbed market in the US. One of its suburbs is also home to the Arab American National Museum (with the largest proportion of Arab Americans in the country). Not to mention, it's home to the Motown museum, in homage to the influenxe the city's had on music and up until 2016, was home to the largest African American museum in the country.
Downtown Detroit is impressive. More impressive than downtowns in Atlanta, Houston, and Miami IMO. The city itself just has had major setbacks.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:47 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOntarioLiving View Post
Houston is extremely boring and the downtown is ghost.

Visit Boston, Philly, DC, NY, LA, Miami, Chicago and San Fran ... then come back
If you're bored in a place as big as Houston, then that says a lot more about you than it does Houston.

Based on the actual criteria, which you probably didn't even bother to read, Houston only lacks in the urbanity/walkability department. Otherwise, it hits all the marks for a cosmopolitan city/metro. It may not be your cup of tea, but that doesn't mean it's not cosmopolitan.

And I've been to or lived in/near most of those cities you listed. I'm just not an urban snob like you.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:05 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
Technically Phoenix is higher in elevation then named cities, so its actually a tier above.

No but for real, we are the 5th largest city in the U.S. Have you ever been to the Valley or is this based of what you see and hear? I'm just seriously curious if thats how you interpret Phoenix. It rise in status every day just like its symbol, but clearly you and many on this board fail to see that.

Im out.
Like I said earlier, size only plays into this so much... I have been to Phoenix a few times (I visit the JW in Scottsdale once a year for the past 4 years). The natural landscape is beautiful, but Phoenix doesn't ooze cosmopolitanism, especially based on the criteria of this thread. Yes there are rich neighborhoods and shopping, etc. but that is not anything you can't find in another city. What makes Phoenix stand out from its peers. The only unique trait I see is the beautiful landscape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
How so, exactly? Philadelphia is obviously more urban and dense. Houston diversity does not take a backseat to Philadelphia. It does not take a back seat to cuisines or vibrant nightlife. One is more urban than the other two but the nightlife is still there in abundance. Same thing with cultural ameninities. I think Philly only soundly beats Houston and Dallas in urbanity and density. Houston and Dallas can hold its own with Philadelphia with the others.
Comparing just Dallas and Houston Houston to Philadelphia

-opera, symphony, museum offerings
--multiple and diverse ethnicities
--density and walkability
--many cuisines from vegan to sushi to russian to ethiopian
--vibrant nightlife in form of live music, clubs, bars, and networking events

Obviously based on density/walkability (and even architecturally) Philadelphia ranks far higher. Regarding the other categories, I don't see how Dallas and Houston really surpass Philadelphia in any of the metrics?

Especially if you compare entire metro areas, Houston and Dallas quickly turn into basic suburban sprawl, nothing unique or cosmopolitan about that... Many of Philadelphia's suburbs have walkable villages with acclaimed theater, entertainment, dining options, as well as historical significance.

Also, I am not saying Dallas and Houston aren't nice, they obviously are large bustling cities/metros (Houston does have a wonderful museum/arts scene), but when comparing criteria its clear that they are at best equal to Philadelphia. Even with that, the edge would still go to Philadelphia when you factor in destiny and walkability. I also think good architecture is part of a cosmopolitan city.

I would say Houston and Philadelphia are more comparable with overall offerings because both offer a vibrant arts and dining scene. I can't make an argument for Dallas.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:26 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Like I said earlier, size only plays into this so much... I have been to Phoenix a few times (I visit the JW in Scottsdale once a year for the past 4 years). The natural landscape is beautiful, but Phoenix doesn't ooze cosmopolitanism, especially based on the criteria of this thread. Yes there are rich neighborhoods and shopping, etc. but that is not anything you can't find in another city. What makes Phoenix stand out from its peers. The only unique trait I see is the beautiful landscape.

Obviously based on density/walkability (and even architecturally) Philadelphia ranks far higher. Regarding the other categories, I don't see how Dallas and Houston really surpass Philadelphia in any of the metrics?

Especially if you compare entire metro areas, Houston and Dallas quickly turn into basic suburban sprawl, nothing unique or cosmopolitan about that... Many of Philadelphia's suburbs have walkable villages with acclaimed theater, entertainment, dining options, as well as historical significance.

Also, I am not saying Dallas and Houston aren't nice, they obviously are large bustling cities/metros (Houston does have a wonderful museum/arts scene), but when comparing criteria its clear that they are at best equal to Philadelphia. Even with that, the edge would still go to Philadelphia when you factor in destiny and walkability. I also think good architecture is part of a cosmopolitan city.

I would say Houston and Philadelphia are more comparable with overall offerings because both offer a vibrant arts and dining scene. I can't make an argument for Dallas.
I would put Houston above Philadelphia when it comes to diversity. They are equal in dining. Philadelphia doesn’t overwhelm Houston in museums and arts. Density and urban yes, Philadelphia easily. That’s the only category where I see Philadelphia soundly beat Houston within this criteria that was listed in the op.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:29 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Philly over Phoenix and Orlando for sure. Where things get tricky in comparison to Houston and Dallas is the nightlife category because it's more subjective so depending on one's perspective, Philly could hit all five categories. However Dallas's and Houston's weak spots are the urban/density category which is more of an objective one.
Yeah I don’t disagree. I won’t make an argument on either being more urban than Philly. But the other categories, I don’t see Philadelphia overwhelm Houston or Dallas. Or Atlanta either.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:32 AM

342 posts, read 317,646 times
If you throw in architecture, history and educational institutions as additional criteria for being cosmopolitan, then Philadelphia handily beats larger cities such as Dallas, Houston and Phoenix (Philly metro is larger than Phoenix metro).

Old 05-04-2018, 09:32 AM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I didn't vote for Houston as one of them, but I'd like to jump in and say it's not the most diverse city in the country. It's 28th for cultural diversity and 41st for religious diversity.
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-diverse-cities/12690/
Second overall in your list in front of New York.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:49 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Really, the only thing that's severely lacking in Dallas/Houston over Philly is density/walkability. I'll even give Philly museum offerings (thanks to its longer history). But cuisine, nightlife, & multiple/diverse ethnicities? Not much of a difference. If you think Dallas/Houston is lacking in live music, clubs, bars, and networking events, then you haven't been there, especially not within the past 5 years. If you're also including metro areas, then you have to factor in the cultural amenities of Fort Worth for Dallas.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:12 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,843,744 times
Density and walkability are essential for me. If I can't walk to it, I probably won't go, aside from an occasional transit ride. That's goes for where I live (center of a more urban city) and most vacations. I'm impressed by the diversity I can walk through, not some mystical place that that's hard to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City