Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Oklahoma City 32 32.65%
Memphis 29 29.59%
Birmingham 37 37.76%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:32 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,202,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
Our perspective is similar in that I’ve lived in Birmingham and feel a sense of been there done that. So for that very reason, I’d be more inclined to choose Memphis given the choices. But I must admit, I’ve always been in the minority whose never seen Birmingham and Memphis as physically similar at all. Similar histories and civic government yes, but in appearance and feel?

To truly tap into my unadulterated impression of Memphis, I have to revert back to visits as a Birmingham resident prior to even joining C-D. Memphis reminded me most of a watered down New Orleans, even culturally. I think of trolleys, the MS River, and partygoers walking their respective entertainment zones. Culturally Birmingham and Memphis are vastly different.

The one city that reminds me most of Birmingham would have to be Chattanooga. They have a similar heavy industry feel and they’re both quite hilly although Chatt’s are considerably larger. The accents are also closer than either is to that of Memphians for sure.

Had I not lived in Birmingham prior, I’d choose it over Memphis and OKC. Birmingham’s monied areas feel more exclusive than anything I’ve seen in Memphis, although that’s debatable. I honestly believe Memphis has more charm, but I’ve always seen Birmingham as a nicer place.
Memphis is like a weird combo of a watered down New Orleans and a southern-fried St. Louis. Makes sense since it's between those two cities. But it's closest city in feel/attitude/culture would be Jackson, MS, about 3 hours down the road. Memphis is a Delta city and all that comes with that, while Birmingham is an Upland South one (with heavy deep south elements). So there are nuances and differences between the two. So similar and yet so different.

The Birmingham-Chattanooga comparison is a good one. There was a time when Bham was a rival city to Atlanta, but those days are long gone, since the 1950s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 01:31 PM

518 posts, read 809,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
A few highlights from Census data comparisons of the 3 metropolitan areas: https://census.missouri.edu/acs/prof...0|31000US13820

* Birmingham has an older population than either Memphis or Oklahoma City.
* Memphis stands out nationally in having relatively equal white and black populations. Oklahoma City is the closest to national averages for all major races/ethnic groups.
Looking at the city rather than the metro, Memphis has more white people than Birmingham percentage wise and Birmingham has more black people than Memphis by percentage. It's not surprising that neither of those two cities is diverse but Birmingham is even less diverse than Memphis. OKC is easily the more diverse of the three cities.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:42 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,381,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Memphis is like a weird combo of a watered down New Orleans and a southern-fried St. Louis. Makes sense since it's between those two cities. But it's closest city in feel/attitude/culture would be Jackson, MS, about 3 hours down the road. Memphis is a Delta city and all that comes with that, while Birmingham is an Upland South one (with heavy deep south elements). So there are nuances and differences between the two. So similar and yet so different.
You’re absolutely right. Memphis and Jackson look and feel almost identical in so many ways. If I were dropped into a random neighborhood in Jackson or Memphis, I’d be hard pressed to distinguish one from the other. Conversely, I can’t imagine confusing a Memphian or Jacksonian enclave for Birmingham mostly because of the difference in terrain.

Residents of St. Louis and Memphis also share a similar accent, very different from Birmingham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Looking at the city rather than the metro, Memphis has more white people than Birmingham percentage wise and Birmingham has more black people than Memphis by percentage. It's not surprising that neither of those two cities is diverse but Birmingham is even less diverse than Memphis. OKC is easily the more diverse of the three cities.
This can be very misleading as the city of Birmingham only accounts for about a fifth of its metro population while the city of Memphis makes up 50% of its MSA. While their metro populations are comparable, Memphis’ municipal population is triple that of Birmingham’s. So you’re essentially capturing a small sample of the Birmingham region and comparing it to a much more significant chunk of Memphis.’

Old 05-09-2018, 10:06 AM

377 posts, read 333,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
birmingham and memphis are two of the most similar cities in the south.

similar metro sizes, civil rights histories, downtowns, etc.

memphis, of course, has a river and a larger tourism component due to graceland and beale street.

birmingham, i would argue, has the more pleasant scenery with its hills and red mountain as a backdrop.

memphis is slightly better known for its BBQ, but otherwise i think birmingham has the more reputable food scene.

both have an undeniable grit and chip on their shoulder, and both are very underrated around here.

i've never been to oklahoma city, so i'll refrain from taking the poll.
This pretty much summarizes my perspective on the three cities. The post on Jackson & Memphis aligning culturally and scenery wise as well as Chattanooga and Birmingham is quite interesting.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:01 PM

329 posts, read 630,834 times
I never been to Jackson, Ms but after dropping a few pins from Google maps, I can see where the comparisons come from. There's definitely some twin neighborhoods in both cities that could bleed into each other and you couldn't tell the difference. Even some of the hoods. It's that delta culture I guess. But google maps don't tell the whole experience. I see similarities in homes types, tree types and densities in vegetation, and architecture types.

Ex.1

Memphis: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1303...7i13312!8i6656

Jackson: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.3445...7i13312!8i6656

Ex.2

Memphis:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1735...7i13312!8i6656

Jackson:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.2995...7i13312!8i6656

Ex.3

Memphis:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0409...7i13312!8i6656

Jackson:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.3927...7i13312!8i6656

The comment about Memphis being a mix of a watered down New Orleans, and southern version of St.Louis I can see that a little. Midtown Memphis and some parts of south Memphis have a slight resemblance to a mid western city.

Ex. This looks like St. Louis to me https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1592...7i13312!8i6656

Old 05-11-2018, 08:48 AM

839 posts, read 807,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
That just freaked me out a little. Your third pin drop in Memphis was a few houses down Dellrose Drive from the first place we lived when I was a child growing up there (1971 to 1972)!

I've lived in both Memphis and Birmingham, and I guess because of my closeness to both cities and how affected I am by terrain/surroundings, I have trouble thinking of them as similar places. The landscapes are very different. Also, downtown Birmingham is more centrally located in the metro (although not entirely, as newer suburban development is heavily skewed south and southeast). When I was growing up in Memphis, we NEVER went downtown, as it seemed so far away. Of course, this was also during the '70's and '80's, when suburban people just didn't go down there because you were sure to be murdered or some other crazy nonsense. OTOH, the metro Memphis population seems less scattered than in Birmingham, I imagine because of the complex terrain we have in the Bham area. To me, Memphis has a bigger "feel" than Birmingham, even though the metro populations are similar (the urban population of Memphis is quite a bit larger, though). Downtown Memphis just seems much more significant, perhaps because of the riverfront. The industrial parts of Memphis are also less visible than in Birmingham, where you're hard pressed not to see them even when just passing through the city.

I can see the comparisons between Jackson and Memphis, although (once again) I'm maybe too affected by landscapes. Jackson is deeper South and has a lot more pines, which give it a greener winter look. Memphis is very deciduous (from a tree perspective).

Old 05-11-2018, 08:13 PM

329 posts, read 630,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
That just freaked me out a little. Your third pin drop in Memphis was a few houses down Dellrose Drive from the first place we lived when I was a child growing up there (1971 to 1972)!
That's awesome! Of all the neighborhoods I pinned. I know it's been years since you seen that street.

The Bham and Mem comparisons come from definitely similar struggles with civil rights, being blue collar cities with grit and historic downtowns. Maybe more, but mostly in the idea of the two.

I believe Bham have more of a chip on their shoulders with this comment for reasons... both cities had similar opportunities to be huge cities in the South, as Mem, Bham, and Atl were almost the same cities at one point, and Atl started to take off shortly after the civil rights movement.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:18 AM

839 posts, read 807,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
That's awesome! Of all the neighborhoods I pinned. I know it's been years since you seen that street.

The Bham and Mem comparisons come from definitely similar struggles with civil rights, being blue collar cities with grit and historic downtowns. Maybe more, but mostly in the idea of the two.

I believe Bham have more of a chip on their shoulders with this comment for reasons... both cities had similar opportunities to be huge cities in the South, as Mem, Bham, and Atl were almost the same cities at one point, and Atl started to take off shortly after the civil rights movement.
Honestly, I wouldn't have known if I hadn't read the street name on the Streetview. I haven't been on that street since we moved out in 1972 when I was a little boy. LOL.

Yes, I certainly see those comparisons between Memphis and Birmingham. They do share many similarities. I think the city of Birmingham feels grittier to me, but that's mostly because the city of Memphis is much more expansive and contains miles and miles of beautiful older residential areas with wide avenues and huge hardwood trees. Birmingham proper really isn't like that, although the close in suburbs are very beautiful in their own way with the hilly terrain and wooded neighborhoods.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:30 PM

34,806 posts, read 30,852,651 times
I'd have to take pick Birmingham. Beautiful drive down 59 and a great food city. Memphis has never appealed to me for more than a visit and I'd never want to live in OKC.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:38 PM

377 posts, read 333,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't have known if I hadn't read the street name on the Streetview. I haven't been on that street since we moved out in 1972 when I was a little boy. LOL.

Yes, I certainly see those comparisons between Memphis and Birmingham. They do share many similarities. I think the city of Birmingham feels grittier to me, but that's mostly because the city of Memphis is much more expansive and contains miles and miles of beautiful older residential areas with wide avenues and huge hardwood trees. Birmingham proper really isn't like that, although the close in suburbs are very beautiful in their own way with the hilly terrain and wooded neighborhoods.

I certainly get the comparisons between Memphis and Birmingham and agree on Civil Rights history, cuisine, metro size, southern nature etc. They are siblings in a lot ways, most perhaps. I have seen Memphis described as a watered down New Orleans meets a southern fried St Louis and I think that is somewhat appropriate. Birmingham's culture still feels like Pittsburgh steel and heavy industry bones deep fried in Alabama hence the Pittsburgh of the South moniker that has stuck for decades. It also feels like Birmingham has become a mashing/meshing of Gulf Coast, Black Belt culture of the Deep South on one side and the Upper South hill culture of Southern Appalachia and North Alabama(Tennessee Valley) on the other. I am of the opinion that if Nashville or Louisville were to ever visit the Deep South, culturally (accents, cuisine, sports etc.) they would feel much more Deep Southern like Birmingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City