Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 PM

75 posts, read 319,496 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been looking to move for a while. We looked at many states and considered many of the things that were important to us. We really liked both Portland and Seattle. Except everyone in Portland said my husband would have no chance of finding a job in less than a year (even though the OR unemployment is actually 2% lower than here in CA). And many people warned me that Seattle has the worst traffic in the nation, which is one of my biggest pet peeves.

My husband hasn't been able to find steady employment for the last two years (he works in IT field) and I have been supporting us soley on my $15/hr job. Luckily we have no kids to support so our hole of an apartment is our only major expense.

My husband has recently switched fields and is now working as a plumber and making decent money. He has two jobs offers for even better money, one offer in Newport Beach CA and the other in La Jolla CA. We are thrilled since both are very beautiful areas. But both cost much more than where we are living now, probably because of how close they are to the beach.

Which do you think is the better place to live, considering we have job offers in both places? I have been to both, they are beautiful. We like cooler weather, but I think both places are both equal in that respect?
We do prefer suburban areas for safety reasons, clean streets, less gangs and graffiti. However, we are not snobs and wouldn't want to be outcast because we dont drive expensive cars or dress fancy. We are laid back people, we shop at walmart and target and ross and sometimes the mall if we cant find what we are looking for at the more affordable stores. We are traditional people so I think Orange County may be better...Republican wise?

Also I would be getting a new job. Do you think I have a better chance in Newport or La Jolla area? Which has the better job market overall? Which has more affordable apartments and condos? We dont live off of credit cards and would like to live within our means.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 04:44 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertain25 View Post
My husband and I have been looking to move for a while. We looked at many states and considered many of the things that were important to us. We really liked both Portland and Seattle. Except everyone in Portland said my husband would have no chance of finding a job in less than a year (even though the OR unemployment is actually 2% lower than here in CA). And many people warned me that Seattle has the worst traffic in the nation, which is one of my biggest pet peeves.

My husband hasn't been able to find steady employment for the last two years (he works in IT field) and I have been supporting us soley on my $15/hr job. Luckily we have no kids to support so our hole of an apartment is our only major expense.

My husband has recently switched fields and is now working as a plumber and making decent money. He has two jobs offers for even better money, one offer in Newport Beach CA and the other in La Jolla CA. We are thrilled since both are very beautiful areas. But both cost much more than where we are living now, probably because of how close they are to the beach.

Which do you think is the better place to live, considering we have job offers in both places? I have been to both, they are beautiful. We like cooler weather, but I think both places are both equal in that respect?
We do prefer suburban areas for safety reasons, clean streets, less gangs and graffiti. However, we are not snobs and wouldn't want to be outcast because we dont drive expensive cars or dress fancy. We are laid back people, we shop at walmart and target and ross and sometimes the mall if we cant find what we are looking for at the more affordable stores. We are traditional people so I think Orange County may be better...Republican wise?

Also I would be getting a new job. Do you think I have a better chance in Newport or La Jolla area? Which has the better job market overall? Which has more affordable apartments and condos? We dont live off of credit cards and would like to live within our means.

Thanks!
You will find better responses on the California forums. While I really like NB and have lived there several times when I was much more financially solvent..it's anything but Walmart/Target..More like Saks Fifth Ave. and Ferraris..the locals call it New Porsche Beach..FYI..Newport is a playground for the upper 1% wealthy in the US. Think people with second homes in Manhattan Hawaii,Europe ect..and yes it can be insanely snobby..it's fiscally conservative but not so much on social issues. It leans left socially by OC standards.

Last edited by Scott5280; 02-02-2011 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 12:50 PM

75 posts, read 319,496 times
So what would be a good place to live if my husband takes the Newport Beach job? We dont want a far drive to work. Maybe Irvine? Or is that snobby also?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,871 times
This is a tough one, anybody have any input between Newport Coast vs La Jolla??

Old 11-27-2012, 06:16 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Both are conservative, whitebread places.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,180 times
Not sure what you ended up doing, but having lived in both cities, I don't think either is a good option for your family based on what you described. They are exclusive, ultra high earning or trust fund towns with no place for anyone middle class or lower. Totally honestly. There isn't anything "affordable" if you aren't stinking rich. I suggest going away from the coast based on what you described. Obviously my reply is years later, so it's a moot point for you, but may help someone in a similar situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City