Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:16 PM

40 posts, read 200,778 times

Advertisements

im from the la area and here is the positive: weather and thats it.

true chicago gots gangs, nightlife, and expenvie but la gots more gangs, bad air, housing is threw the roof, and nightlife is not bad.

i say no to la, if you want to be a thug or a movie star (more likely prono) then la is your best city to be in.

im thinking of moving to chicago from milwaukee since milwaukee is stuck in the 1950's in ethincal dempgraphics and most people here dont care. i heard evantion, lincoln park, and tri-tayor are good places to be if your young,single and college age.

where is tri-tayor at and what if you are not that rich (income around 40-50k per yr) also any other good locations will be helpfull?

Old 01-16-2007, 11:53 PM

694 posts, read 2,652,056 times
L.A. is better place to take your family to see a ball game.
Grew up at Wrigley Field & Cominsky Park ( the real Chicago team).
The culture of Wriglyville has changed to me first rude uber yuppies
with no consideration towards women or children. I never like using
my size to remind out of shape blowhards how to be gentlemen,
yet had to the last two times I came to Wrigley. Surprisingly folk
at the Cell conducted themselves with way more class. As good
as the Sox are their park is drab. Now no doubt L.A. is dirty, but
that park is an oasis. It really is gorgeous and family friendly. I could
never root for the Dodgers but they have great park that a family or
baseball fan can appreciate.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:04 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times
Having spent significant time in LA and other parts of California, I can say that the weather is the only thing that LA, OC, San Diego and other parts of Southern California have over Chicago. The low employment wages, lack of public transportation and the sky high cost of housing in the majority of California are enough to make one put up with six months of cold weather here in the Chicago area.

One of the first thing I noticed when visiting the "nice and upscale" areas in Southern California, such as the OC, was the metal cages on soft drink machines to protect them in outside areas, such as in a shopping mall. In Chicago, you rarely see something like that and it made me wonder how nice and upscale these areas really are in comparison. This is just one example of how unsafe I felt when I was visiting there.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:29 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
L.A. is better place to take your family to see a ball game.
Grew up at Wrigley Field & Cominsky Park ( the real Chicago team).
The culture of Wriglyville has changed to me first rude uber yuppies
with no consideration towards women or children. I never like using
my size to remind out of shape blowhards how to be gentlemen,
yet had to the last two times I came to Wrigley. Surprisingly folk
at the Cell conducted themselves with way more class. As good
as the Sox are their park is drab. Now no doubt L.A. is dirty, but
that park is an oasis. It really is gorgeous and family friendly. I could
never root for the Dodgers but they have great park that a family or
baseball fan can appreciate.
Interesting. Ive found the folks at Wrigley to probably be the friendliest Ive encountered yet. Its not known as the "friendly confines" for nothin, ya know. Its the only stadium I go to where everyone feels like family and hi-fives each other each time the Cubs score, you dont really get that anywhere else in MLB. As for Dodger Stadium? In no way is that a better baseball experience. The stadium is a cookie cutter-ish design, with the upper deck too far from the field to offer any good views. The lower deck is ok, but the stadium is also quite bizarre if you ask me. It sits in the middle of a not-so-good neighborhood, in a gigantic parking lot, surrounded by smog (well, it was when I was there). The palm trees in the outfield do not make for a good baseball experience like everyone seems to think. The people I was with were like "and see the palm trees? Arent they gorgeous?" Pfft, I dont go to a game to see palm trees, swimming pools, waterfalls, etc. I go to see a good game in a great place, and Dodger Stadium doesnt exactly pull at the heart-strings like Wrigley does. Wrigley is part of the neighborhood, something 99% of the MLB stadiums are NOT. Just my .02. Oh yeah, its "Comiskey", not "Cominsky", just thought Id add that little tidbit of info.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:20 PM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
Default The gangs, crime, and the next Botox injection are what Angelenos worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
One of the first thing I noticed when visiting the "nice and upscale" areas in Southern California, such as the OC, was the metal cages on soft drink machines to protect them in outside areas, such as in a shopping mall. In Chicago, you rarely see something like that and it made me wonder how nice and upscale these areas really are in comparison. This is just one example of how unsafe I felt when I was visiting there.

You are right! LA schools are fenced in like jails: 15 foot fences. Jail bars over all windows. Caged in vending machines. Metal detectors. It's a jail facility full of young bloods and crips!

Dear Chicago,
I'm sure that Chicago doesn't have excellent schools either. At least in Chi-town, one can walk down the sidewalk without some thug yellin', "Where you from homies!?"

Steve-O is also 100% right-on. Illegal immigrants have taken over LA. Man, I feel like I am on another planet when I look around.

Traffic is horrible in LA, but oh well! Angeleno's aren't too stressed about it. The gangs, crime, and the next Botox injection are what Angelenos worry about.

LA is a beautiful place, but the government and police are so currupt.

Plus, LA is turning into Mexico Jr.

I prefer the diversity in Chicago anyday over LA's diversity. Everyone hate's everyone out here. Blacks killing Browns. Asians killing Blacks. It's crazy out here.

Stay in Chicago.

Love,

NB's most wanted

(p.s. if you plan on a trip to Southern California, do yourself a favor: please visit the OC, or San Diego. Keep your family safe.)

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 01-18-2007 at 05:30 PM..

Old 01-18-2007, 06:03 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,805 times
Regarding Dodger Stadium... it's changed a lot in recent years, it's gotten pretty bad. There was even a Dodger fan who killed a Giant fan in the parking lot because... well, purely because he was a Giant fan. Wearing a jersey of the visiting team will get stuff thrown at you and obscenities yelled.... if you're lucky. Worst case? Stabbed, beaten, or shot -- these have all happened in recent years. Angels games are better... but even there, I know a 50ish Yankees fan who got suckerpunched on the way out of the stadium for wearing a Yankees jersey. You want fights? They can be in the dozens if the Dodgers or Red Sox are in town.

Chicago is a far more fan-friendly environment for baseball, either at Wrigley or the Cell, in my opinion.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Chicago is a far more fan-friendly environment for baseball, either at Wrigley or the Cell, in my opinion.
I don't know what the atmosphere is like at The Cell... but a lot of the people at Wrigley, especially weekday night games, are there as much for the party as for the baseball experience, even using the games as a way to unwind from the stress and long hours of work. This is particularly true in the outfield bleachers. They'll be glad to party with anyone else who's there for a good time, and in fact, they seem particularly interested in showing out-of-towners how it's done in Wrigleyville. They love to show off their party 'hood.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:27 PM

Thank you for the correction Steve-o spell type.
San Fransisco, San Diego are wannabee ball parks.
Oakland is ugly, and Anaheim is almost as drab as the Cell.
Chavez Ravine has been around long enough now to have a history.
It kinda has that Brady Bunch feeling.
Plus don't discount the weather (perfect night games)
I found the drive way better than the Addison stop and go.
I have been going to Wrigley since th 70s, so maybe I am jaded
towards the years when it was breeze to get in and out.
From a purist point of view Wrigley is a must for a true fan.
For a family guy who wants a clean park without all the swearing
..well Wrigley needs to clean up. Wrigleyville is a place to party
no doubt.. had many a great time there. Inside the park, folk
should show more class around children. I will give Wrigley another shot
with my adult kids later this summer. Now that we live in Washington
Seattle is next, when the Sox come to town. GO BEARS

Old 01-18-2007, 06:50 PM

Our family always wears Cub garb to other parks and have never had
issue. In fact it seems the fan base is every where. The most obnoxious
fan at these games is usually me. I was at the game when Furcal
slammed Lee, and in real time it looked intentional, couldn't even talk the next day.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Regarding Dodger Stadium... it's changed a lot in recent years, it's gotten pretty bad. There was even a Dodger fan who killed a Giant fan in the parking lot because... well, purely because he was a Giant fan. Wearing a jersey of the visiting team will get stuff thrown at you and obscenities yelled.... if you're lucky. Worst case? Stabbed, beaten, or shot -- these have all happened in recent years.
sounds like Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium, or something that would happen at a British football match.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City