U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:39 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,140,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmwatts27 View Post
Boo L.A. Yay Chicago. San Diego might be pretty, but hard to deal with all the trustafarians.
But what i didn't get was that L.A. ranked more than chicago in attractive. What did they mean but attractive. And staticistally La has more diversity than Chicago But chicago ranked more than L.A. I think its because La is more spread out and it doesn't really feel diverse because of the cities sprwal ness.Chicago to me does feel more Diverse because its a small cramped city and its more densly populated.But Chicago did better than NYC in overall. So yes Chicago is Americas 2nd city.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:21 PM

905 posts, read 2,522,755 times
A quick note on the LA region's density - it's actually true that it's denser than Chicagoland or metro New York.

To use a personal comparison, I grew up in a suburban area on the outskirts of NYC. It was definitely a 'burb, but it was in the city, so it was considerably denser than your average 'burb. A good comparison for Chicago, though I'm not as familiar with Chicago's suburbs, might be a place like Oak Park, or Evanston, or Skokie. In LA, almost the entire region is like this, so density-wise, it reminded me of my hometown. The entire place is like an inner-ring suburb, and if you extrapolate that out on to a metropolitan region, you get a pretty dense metro. However, there are few, if any, areas that approach the density of downtown Chicago, or many other city neighborhoods. Of course, arguments over density strike me as a bit odd - it's all a matter of personal preference.

One point regarding the nightlife - LA may have great nightlife, but you have to drive to get there. I enjoy being able to stumble out of one bar and into the next. And the 2AM last call seems pretty standard in much of the country - the only cities I've been to where it's later are Chicago and New York (though I'm sure there's some others).

I'm not gonna totally hate on LA. It was worth a visit, it's just not my cup of tea.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:39 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,206,199 times
Interesting obsvns....

I tend to think of LA's Westside/Malibu as a wkend playground for affluent guys from SF/NYC/Chic....and when guys want more interesting nightlife, they head for LV (CA's version of Manhattan nightlife)....BTW, much post-2AM nightlife occurs in pvt homes in HollywoodHills/BH....advantages of a town w/immense, but cash-poor, talent and many, rather affluent wkend residents....and they make new copies of said talent every yr....quite the commodity....

LA's biggest weaknesses are its lack of a real economy....fairly low IQ levels and education levels in region, esp vs SF/NYC....

Chic is a more powerful, well-balanced economy than LA, but Chic simply lacks many first-tier hedge funds or tech cos. (and the associated IQ concentration/wealth creation) in any comparison w/first-tier economies like Manhattan/Greenwich/SiliconValley....in fact, LA region prob has as many leading hedge funds as Chic....and more smart, wealthy engineers at various tech cos. in LA region vs Chic region...

Would argue Chic vs NYC/LA/SF is an even battle in terms of excellent dining choices....

But for those who enjoy daily-driving performance cars, no better places on planet than SF/LA in terms of superb weather/topography/rds....and weather snobs who prefer civilized, yr-round 60-80F, relatively rain-free, non-humid weather will be best served by either LA's Westside or SiliconValley....

Old 07-31-2008, 01:04 AM

15,587 posts, read 22,420,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
...But for those who enjoy daily-driving performance cars, no better places on planet than SF/LA in terms of superb weather/topography/rds....and weather snobs who prefer civilized, yr-round 60-80F, relatively rain-free, non-humid weather will be best served by either LA's Westside or SiliconValley....
...and earthquakes,large wildfires,choking smog,superb traffic gridlock,massive amounts of illegals,shrinking personal freedoms...I can go on and on...

Old 08-02-2008, 12:01 AM

9,138 posts, read 11,688,236 times
Default Funny when I lived in LA in 1978 They Had Some 24 Hour Clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
All the bars close at 2 in LA? Yucky!

I always felt that when I lived in Columbia, MO in college and the bars closed at 1 I ended up drinking way faster and more irresponsibly than I would have otherwise because I was "racing against the clock" to get drunk. This led to lots of shots right before the bar closed and a very sick me

Clubs close at 2:00 AM funny back in 1978 LA had some 24 x 7 Clubs , they must to have toned down quite a lot since then......

Old 08-17-2008, 04:04 PM

I think L.A. has a better Economy than chicago.

[mod cut]

Last edited by aragx6; 08-18-2008 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: Don't know where you got this from, but it's clearly copyrighted

Old 08-17-2008, 04:06 PM

dont get mad at me i just think L.A. has a bigger economy not a better one.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:54 AM

20,005 posts, read 68,012,699 times
(^)

wtf???

Old 08-18-2008, 01:54 PM

6,007 posts, read 13,192,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
(^)

wtf???
IDK, I've given up trying to understand Californians, they speak their own version of English

Old 08-18-2008, 04:07 PM

20,005 posts, read 68,012,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
IDK, I've given up trying to understand Californians, they speak their own version of English
Thats English? Whoa, I need to go back to school I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City