U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:32 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,969,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
what major changes has the city done in the past 25 years?
The question is what didnt Chicago do in the last 25 years.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:32 PM

3,567 posts, read 7,516,466 times
It's easy to think of Los Angeles as being better than Chicago, especially if you're a Midwesterner born and raised. After all, doesn't California have everything you don't? Culture, fashion, real people doing real things that are recognized faraway and abroad as being cosmopolitan? Everything is better in California. This is especially true because we hate our weather so much.

When you actually get to Los Angeles, however, the story is very different. There's a lot of creativity in Los Angeles, this is true, but mostly because people have to make so many bizarre living arrangements just to make living feasible at all. There's a bizarre sense of disconnect from reality in California that takes the form of "I'm really a freak psychopath outside of work" in NorCal and "Woooow, liiiiike, I'm about to give you the shaft, and stuff, and could you like, you know, be thankful? I don't know why you're so upset that I'm taking advantage of you, like, I'm being polite and all, okay? Doesn't that make everything alright? Heeey, also, please don't actually take up my offers for help, I like, totally don't really mean what I say". It's like trying to hear someone through a thick fog of pretension, self-importance and discontent.

Joan Didion actually covers this much better than I do without sounding so insulting to California. I'm just very blunt with my wording.

In general places are different once you get there. This is what I discovered about Los Angeles and NYC, only what I really discovered was that their respective facades of I'M SO ****ING GREAT I **** GOLD AND BELCH HAPPINESS are the product of extremely dismal qualities of life. And, like, Manhattanites who think that an art collection is something you keep in a closet.

Chicago is awesome, simply put, because it doesn't require you to have to make drastic adjustments to your wallet but, more importantly, to your mind. There's a lot of horrifying things that exist in SoCal, disturbing things, like seemingly normal people who have Mexican slaves locked in their garages; or the same people who go to work with smiles on their faces and can actually split their minds into one piece that OKs dumping toxic sludge on a mixed-income housing development and another part that votes Democrat because it cares about the environment.

Is Chicago the best place ever? No. Is it the only American city to ever have completely institutionalized political and social corruption? Name me another that has come closer. But I find it a more suitable place to live.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:06 PM

47 posts, read 161,110 times
Spending billions of dollars on downtown LA is great if you are a realtor/developer. Most of the new/rehabbed condos/lofts are upscale developments with price points 650k & up. I've toured some of the new developments but you become a prisoner to the building you live in as the nieghborhoods around are light years from catching up. There are new condos/apts being built in LA but they are creating more traffic, increasing density of population and destroying the neighborhood fabric. Also, most of the condos are upscale buildings geared for higher income individuals. see article: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/valley/la-me-density6aug06,1,649902.story?coll=la-editions-valley (broken link) The freeways are not expanding anywhere near what the volume of traffic dictates. Public transit does not go where most people work and is designed for the lower income population who cannot afford cars. LA's sprawl is a detriment to public transit and downtown LA. Chicago's downtown is so far ahead of LA becuase it is next to the lakefront, has beautful architecture and a populace who support the city and it activities. Downtown LA is surrounded by poverty and geographically is not acnchored by waterfront, mountains.

Last edited by laviachi; 08-06-2007 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: word change

Old 08-06-2007, 04:15 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,825,558 times
So wait -- increasing density destroys the fabric of a neigbhorood; and yet sprawl is a detriment to public transit and downtown. With a population numbering in the millions, you're inevitably going to have one or the other, or perhaps even both. If you want neither, like you apparently do, then what you're really asking for is the city to simply cease existing.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:55 PM

47 posts, read 161,110 times
Are you familiar with downtown LA and it's neighborhoods? Downtown LA has a different subset of problems from the San Fernando Valley. My comments on increasing density are related to the neighborhoods of LA not downtown LA. Many of LA's better neighborhoods are already bursting at the seams with people/traffic and now they are getting more buildings and developments. There is such a thing a controlled growth and smart planning. That is where a void exists in LA.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:16 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,825,558 times
Whose idea of controlled growth and smart planning should prevail? Those who insist on higher housing density to lower the environmental impact, or those who insist on lower housing density to reduce traffic congestion and social issues more likely to arise from overcrowding? When you're dealing with metropolitan areas -- whether just the city, or the whole area -- there is an inevitable tradeoff between both. And there is no solid agreement on which is preferable; though apparently if left for the people to decide for themselves, they prefer sprawl over density.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:17 PM

226 posts, read 99,994 times
I live here in LA.. and i think that LA is really isn't that bad... you just need to get used to it.. and be a good driver!!

Chicago.. i've never been to it... so i can't really say much about it.. but based on pictures i've seen there downtown is very nice!! with no question it tops LA's.

However, i think that when we compare both cities, there the complete opposites.. LA has an ugly downtown... Chicago has a nice one...
BUT.... in terms of suburbs... and again ony based on what i've seen in pictures from relatives... Chicago's suburbs have that vintage look.. like old.. and LA has really nice ones..

weather wise.. well LA beats Chicago.

I think that both cities are ok.. is like everything... they have there good part and there bad part.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:39 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,969,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post
Chicago's suburbs have that vintage look.. like old.. and LA has really nice ones..
Chicago's suburbs are every bit as nice as those in L.A. If youve never been here, how can you comment on that? Ive been in L.A.'s suburbs, and just like anywhere else, some were nice, some were complete garbage. On the whole, I find Chicago's suburbs more welcoming. Just my opinion...

Old 06-17-2008, 08:10 PM

399 posts, read 432,910 times
I prefer L.A. I've been to both cities. Prefer L.A a lot more.
It's the vibe and the weather that can't be beat.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:10 AM

67 posts, read 183,622 times
Vibe is only there if you got lots of cash or you are a tourist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City