U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 12:07 AM

15,587 posts, read 22,415,114 times

Advertisements

Someone needs to get a fricken clue.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:23 AM

399 posts, read 433,359 times
L.A or Chicago...

Something tells me Southern California culture appeals to people more. Because I always hear people moving from Chicago and other mid-west areas. To California and Arizona.
Perhaps the weather? The more laid-back culture? Maybe..

I myself Prefer Chicago, if you want more "affordable" urban-lifestyle then Chicago is much nicer.
I love four-season weather, though four-season lovers tend to be kind of like a minority. I think people prefer milder weather which is L.A would be disarable because of that.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:28 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,228,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
The rest of the country may get snow, but even southern portions of TN don't freeze like Chicago does. It's very special in that regard. It's mild in most of the country during the winter, unlike Chicago's never-ending gloom and frigid chill from... What, November to April?
Living here, Chicago, the city with all the freezing snow, in the winter, for my whole life, I can tell you that it's not gloomy as much as you think. In fact when it snows and it's sunny the reflection off the snow can blind you because it's bright, meaning it's sunny, no gloom, clear skies, it happens a lot.

The cold doesn't really kick in until late December and lasts until early march. So you were off, it gets chilly then but not cold.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:42 AM

3,567 posts, read 7,520,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Someone needs to get a fricken clue.
November 2007:
21 - 46
22 - 33
23 - 30
24 - 37
25 - 37
26 - 39
27 - 36
28 - 46
29 - 33
30 - 36

The high for December 2007 was 51, the average day was 29 (taking into account both day and night-- because I for one enjoy being outside at night) and the average daytime temp was 44.

High for Jan. was 64, which was the 7th. Most days were in the teens. There were 2 sunny days, and 7 partly sunny days.

High for February was 51 on the 17th. The average daily temp was 24. There was one sunny day and five days that were only partly cloudy. Color me gray.

High for March was 61, on the 31st. The average daily temp was 36 because of a record 6 days in the 50's. There was 1 sunny day and a whopping 6 days that were only partly cloudy.

Info pulled from Weather.com.

I left before this, but you can see where the pattern goes.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:37 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,228,198 times
Quote:
November 2007:
21 - 46
22 - 33
23 - 30
24 - 37
25 - 37
26 - 39
27 - 36
28 - 46
29 - 33
30 - 36

The high for December 2007 was 51, the average day was 29 (taking into account both day and night-- because I for one enjoy being outside at night) and the average daytime temp was 44.

High for Jan. was 64, which was the 7th. Most days were in the teens. There were 2 sunny days, and 7 partly sunny days.

High for February was 51 on the 17th. The average daily temp was 24. There was one sunny day and five days that were only partly cloudy. Color me gray.

High for March was 61, on the 31st. The average daily temp was 36 because of a record 6 days in the 50's. There was 1 sunny day and a whopping 6 days that were only partly cloudy.

Info pulled from Weather.com.

I left before this, but you can see where the pattern goes.
First off, you have never even been here so you have to rely on a flawed website for information. Second, the temperatures that you listed aren't really backing up your idea of Chicago being an icebox. Once again, the rest of the nation gets cold as well.

You keep bringing up temperature and I gave counter examples and then you give the same data again. Give it a rest already.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:39 AM

15,587 posts, read 22,415,114 times
We have been through this discussion like 20 times already but certain people keep bringing the same garbage up.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:09 AM

414 posts, read 745,072 times
LA vs. Chicago, really? Why does it matter anyway? It is all preference. Personally, I don't like earthquakes, extreme heat or driving everywhere. I do miss the ocean but I wouldn't miss LA culture. I am certain there are others who feel completely differently. Especially my dad who would prefer to live in Overland Park, KS (IMO the most cookie cutter boring place anywhere) over LA or Chicago.

Point is...this thread is pointless.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 AM

10,165 posts, read 18,152,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post
Point is...this thread is pointless.

Not at all. It's amusing.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:25 AM

16 posts, read 50,708 times
One thing folks moving here from warm states need to do is get proper fall/winter clothes.

As an avid hiker and backpacker we have a saying, "there is no bad weather just bad gear".

Jumping into winter activities and pursuits will make the cold weather more bearable. Last winter was a great one for those of us who crosscountry snow ski and use snow shoes.

The Chicago area has absolutely great forest preserves for day hiking year round and the above type activities when there is snow. Getting sleds for the kid(s) right away makes snowfall a happy occurrence for them. We have a lot of indoor ice rinks to learn how to skate in and it will make skating outside a nice change of pace.

The lack of sun during the winter months is a bummer, no doubt. If coming from California invest in full spectrum light bulbs and lamps.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:55 AM

20,005 posts, read 68,003,600 times
Quote:
You have no idea how bad it's going to be. The first year isn't the worst. The second year isn't the worst. It's the third year, when you're so sun-starved and depressed from 8 months of being unable to go outside that you go insane. And then it's rainy and gray in the summer. Chicago has its greatest amount of precipitation in the summer months because of those damned lakes. The depression that accompanies existence there is soul-crushing, especially in May when you still have the heat on in your house. Or through early June when it's still in the sixties and the rest of the country has already had summer for two full months.
Dont listen to this BS. Sure it gets cold and sure it gets gray at times in winter, who doesnt know that?!?! Still, sunshine percentage in the winter is around 50%, which isnt that great, but not too horrible either. I can think of places that get a lot less sunshine than that. Summer sunshine percentage is up near 70%, and youll notice it come April and May all the way until mid-to-late October. Summer will get on and off showers (its NOT grey here in summer), but they dont stick around long whatsoever. I can count about a dozen or so showers this summer that didnt even last 10 minutes that are followed with immediate sunshine. Or like yesterday it rained for about 10 minutes, with the sun shining. And while places like L.A. have been baking in 100 degree heat and battling wildfires, we've been sitting here enjoying several weeks of perfect 75 degree weather with low humidities and clear blue skies. Temps will climb and humidity levels will get uncomfortable, sure, but its not like Miami or anything. Not even close. There is a reason you see tons of FL, AZ, etc, plates here in summer, they come here because summers, for the most part, are very enjoyable. Fall is gorgeous, too. Just thought Id throw that out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City