Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 02:28 PM

319 posts, read 393,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
America's Best big city downtowns 2018 update: A lot has changed in the last few years. Some downtowns that were afterthoughts are among the best. Whole Urban Core is included here.

Criteria:

1. Vitality
2. High rises
3. Walkability
4. Ambiance
5. Safety
6. population
7. Cleanliness
8. Overall Appeal

1. NY
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. SF
5. Seattle
6. Boston
7. Philly
8. Houston
9. Miami
10.Portland
11.Denver/Washington tie
12.Dallas
13.Detroit
14.Minneapolis
15.San Antonio
16.Pittsburgh

Honorable Mentions: Austin, Nashville, Cleveland and Milwaukee
Anyone who thinks Detroit’s downtown is superior to Cleveland’s obviously hasn’t been to either city!! And while there is a great deal of development going on in Detroit, it still has a long way to go when compared to Downtown Cleveland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Detroit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Cleveland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 02:40 PM

13,962 posts, read 13,732,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
America's Best big city downtowns 2018 update: A lot has changed in the last few years. Some downtowns that were afterthoughts are among the best. Whole Urban Core is included here.

Criteria:

1. Vitality
2. High rises
3. Walkability
4. Ambiance
5. Safety
6. population
7. Cleanliness
8. Overall Appeal

1. NY
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. SF
5. Seattle
6. Boston
7. Philly
8. Houston
9. Miami
10.Portland
11.Denver/Washington tie
12.Dallas
13.Detroit
14.Minneapolis
15.San Antonio
16.Pittsburgh

Honorable Mentions: Austin, Nashville, Cleveland and Milwaukee
Houston has better downtown than Miami ??? Austin downtown area more vibrant than Houston

Old 05-18-2018, 02:57 PM

12,932 posts, read 9,543,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is definitely not true. DC is a Top 6 downtown. Putting aside NYC, it's roughly equal to Chicago, SF, Philly and Boston.

You don't have good random odds of getting a decent slice of pizza really anywhere outside of Naples and NYC's outer boroughs. I don't see what this has to do with anything.
Don't forget Chicago, some of the best pizza anywhere can be found in Chitown.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:37 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,911,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
Anyone who thinks Detroit’s downtown is superior to Cleveland’s obviously hasn’t been to either city!! And while there is a great deal of development going on in Detroit, it still has a long way to go when compared to Downtown Cleveland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Detroit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Cleveland
Downtown Cleveland is underrated for sure. I’ve been there.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:54 PM

13,942 posts, read 14,823,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Downtown Cleveland is underrated for sure. I’ve been there.
Totally not on this site

Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,242,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Don't forget Chicago, some of the best pizza anywhere can be found in Chitown.
Definitely no. Chicago does not have a street corner pizza or slice culture.

Deep Dish pizza is not even pizza, really.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:39 PM

13,962 posts, read 13,732,599 times
Quote:

Chicago does have street corner pizza

Old 05-18-2018, 09:13 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,202,273 times
Quote:

Deep Dish .... really is a Pizza PIE. As you should know since you said you lived in Chicago in your past ..... Most neighborhood Chicago pizza is thin CHRISPY crust .... cut into party-sized squares. Other Midwest cities also have this common.

You know Chicago doesn't utilize much in the way of street-cart vending as its food codes are strict. It allows food trucks to set-up shop in allowed areas downtown even now. It keeps things a bit more classy to rather have eateries set-up sidewalk tables with easier to get permits. Love to see them surrounded by greens and flowers especially.

Less people eating pizza walking means less chance of litter too. For Festivals clearly allowed.

If you did not like your pizza choices in Chicago? Not everyone agrees with you. I did in neighborhoods I lived when I lived here. Best Minestone soup I've had were Italian eateries there also. I'm fine with NYC pizza too. Just if a choice of wimpy large triangles or crispy-square-cuts.... I'd take the crispy..... but by me in PA it is rare. Forget good minesone soup here ....

Old 05-18-2018, 10:14 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,596,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Deep Dish .... really is a Pizza PIE. As you should know since you said you lived in Chicago in your past ..... Most neighborhood Chicago pizza is thin CHRISPY crust .... cut into party-sized squares. Other Midwest cities also have this common.

You know Chicago doesn't utilize much in the way of street-cart vending as its food codes are strict. It allows food trucks to set-up shop in allowed areas downtown even now. It keeps things a bit more classy to rather have eateries set-up sidewalk tables with easier to get permits. Love to see them surrounded by greens and flowers especially.

Less people eating pizza walking means less chance of litter too. For Festivals clearly allowed.

If you did not like your pizza choices in Chicago? Not everyone agrees with you. I did in neighborhoods I lived when I lived here. Best Minestone soup I've had were Italian eateries there also. I'm fine with NYC pizza too. Just if a choice of wimpy large triangles or crispy-square-cuts.... I'd take the crispy..... but by me in PA it is rare. Forget good minesone soup here ....
Not something I'd eat every single week, but Chicago deep dish is a wonderful indulgence every so often. I get some people don't like it, but it is a bona fide pizza and a real treat on occasion.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:03 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,899,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Not something I'd eat every single week, but Chicago deep dish is a wonderful indulgence every so often. I get some people don't like it, but it is a bona fide pizza and a real treat on occasion.
Screw deep dish pizzas!!! It's not about pizzas! Stick to the forum and or just get out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City