Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,146 times

Advertisements

Need help deciding whether to relocate to Athens GA or Chattanooga TN. I looking for a safe place for a sixty year old women, flying solo, who loves hiking, Kayaking fresh water, city friendly bike trails., I'll be relocating from the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. I've lived in CO and MN, Colorado being my favorite because of the abundant outdoor recreation, mountains, progressive city life and diversity,

I looking for:

Part-employment for 60 year old,
Mild change of seasons-
Safety, not a lot of crime or proverty
I like a Millennial vibe: (healthy, eco-friendly, diversity) indie bookstores, coffee shops, bike and walk friendly streets, brew pubs, ethnic quisine restaurants,fresh markets, Whole Foods, Organics.
Clubs or groups to hike, distance bike and kayak with
College/university with classes for older people, Writing, drawing, Master Gardener programs

Socially I am moderate when it comes to politics/religion, I can't take extremism and prefer to be gardening and volunteering in botanic gardens or parks instead.

I really love the mountains of Tennessee, Georgia. I'd like to be in a upbeat urban area population 5Ok plus yet close enough to enjoy the mountains.

Opinions, experience welcome!

I like the electric, artsy small town were I live now. There's sea and Bayou Kayaking, and some biking. But the heat/humidity and bugs are unbearable in the summer. Further, allergies and bacteria aren't fun. Lastly, I'm uncomfortable with radical right-ring politics/religion and racism and open carry gun laws. They have a Christian religious concious Law, so its legal not to serve, gays, transgender, black, Muslims and so on.

It's also illegal to buy Sudafed - really bad for allergy suffers, Ugh 😑
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:45 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
I think Chattanooga Is the better choice here. Actually Chattanooga is a pretty progressive mid sized city in the Tennessee mountains and tons to do there. I like the fact you can get to Nashville and Atlanta pretty quick as well, major plus. No comparison IMO...

Old 05-14-2018, 09:22 AM

841 posts, read 824,744 times
Yep, I think since you like easy access to recreational opportunities, Chattanooga wins this based on its setting. Athens might give you a little more of the millennial vibe as a university town, though. My guess is Athens would be less socially regressive as well, although in a place like Chattanooga that's increasingly on the national radar screen with younger people, you should be able to stay insulated from a lot of it. I think both would be great places to live, but my personal choice would be Chattanooga because of the stunning setting.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:57 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Chattanooga will give you more of the recreational options you're looking for, but it's a rather conservative town. Athens is definitely more liberal/progressive and UGA is very intertwined with Athens so I'd imagine you would find a lot of classes for older residents, but it won't have as many outdoor recreational opportunities in the immediate vicinity as Chattanooga.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Chattanooga will give you more of the recreational options you're looking for, but it's a rather conservative town. Athens is definitely more liberal/progressive and UGA is very intertwined with Athens so I'd imagine you would find a lot of classes for older residents, but it won't have as many outdoor recreational opportunities in the immediate vicinity as Chattanooga.

I have to disagree with you on this one but not a lot to disagree on. Chattanooga has a democratic mayor but Hamilton county as a whole may have voted a little more on the republican side previously, like a little over 50% , not enough to have anything to talk about all thing republican. It's not a heavy republican area as some would lead you to believe. Same can be said with Clark county Athens, cant say it heavy progressive liberal either, especially with UGA. I even feel a more comfortable racial mixing and progressive vibe in Chattanooga than I do in Athens, in spite UGA campus.. I think in Athens and Georgia mostly sticks to their own more or less, in Chattanooga I see a lot of mixing up there. Chattanooga feels more progressive and a stand alone city in my opinion. Athens kinda satellites outside of Atlanta's shadow as a college town.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I have to disagree with you on this one but not a lot to disagree on. Chattanooga has a democratic mayor but Hamilton county as a whole may have voted a little more on the republican side previously, like a little over 50% , not enough to have anything to talk about all thing republican. It's not a heavy republican area as some would lead you to believe. Same can be said with Clark county Athens, cant say it heavy progressive liberal either, especially with UGA. I even feel a more comfortable racial mixing and progressive vibe in Chattanooga than I do in Athens, in spite UGA campus.. I think in Athens and Georgia mostly sticks to their own more or less, in Chattanooga I see a lot of mixing up there. Chattanooga feels more progressive and stand alone in my opinion.
I didn't say Chattanooga was ultra-conservative, but it does lean more conservative; how can such a "Bible minded" city not lean conservative?

https://www.barna.com/research/2017-...minded-cities/

Athens has a history of being more ideologically progressive. "Racial mixing" isn't really my proxy for being progressive (and I don't want to get too much into that) but different strokes for different folks.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I didn't say Chattanooga was ultra-conservative, but it does lean more conservative; how can such a "Bible minded" city not lean conservative?

https://www.barna.com/research/2017-...minded-cities/

Athens has a history of being more ideologically progressive. "Racial mixing" isn't really my proxy for being progressive (and I don't want to get too much into that) but different strokes for different folks.

Have to also say Chattanooga is diversifying a lot. It's foreign population has grown in recent years as well so I'm sure politics will start to lean more as well. It's definitely become a progressive midsized city no matter how you may think it leans politically, bible belt and all. I'm not just speaking of mixtures but you can feel change in the air for a town its size. Things have changed in a lot of places and most people just stereo type without boots on the ground and experience. I like the Nature to Urban feel there and the views are beautiful as well... I tell anyone, get out and see for yourself, tour both towns entirely, choose what you like best before you decide.. By the way, what's wrong with being Bible minded,,, I know I am and I know many other are as well Democratic or Republican..

Old 05-14-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Have to also say Chattanooga is diversifying a lot. It's foreign population has grown in recent years as well so I'm sure politics will start to lean more as well. It's definitely become a progressive midsized city no matter how you may think it leans politically, bible belt and all. I'm not just speaking of mixtures but you can feel change in the air for a town its size. Things have changed in a lot of places and most people just stereo type without boots on the ground and experience. I like the Nature to Urban feel there and the views are beautiful as well... I tell anyone, get out and see for yourself, tour both towns entirely...
I've been to both places so I'm speaking from a "boots on the ground" perspective as well. I'm not biased for or against either place and I don't have really have a dog in the fight...just presenting facts.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I've been to both places so I'm speaking from a "boots on the ground" perspective as well. I'm not biased for or against either place and I don't have really have a dog in the fight...just presenting facts.
Since we are presenting facts, this Liberal to Conservative thing is not enough to talk about when making this decision factor between the two, believe me.. Too many other factors to base this decision on and no matter how you look at it, Chattanooga is a nice progressive city. No comparison here, not even on the same level.. This one needs a poll

Old 05-14-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Since we are presenting facts, this Liberal to Conservative thing is not enough to talk about when making this decision factor between the two, believe me.. Too many other factors to base this decision on and no matter how you look at it, Chattanooga is a nice progressive city. No comparison here, not even on the same level.. This one needs a poll
It was one factor that the OP mentioned was important, and I talked about it along with a few other factors. You act as though that's the only thing I mentioned in relation to the two cities. I'm not making a big deal out of it like you seem to be nor am I all that invested in the topic.

Furthermore, I think you're using the term "progressive" in a general sense and not an ideological sense as I am. That may be where some of the confusion is coming from.

All things considered, I think places like Asheville, Boone, or Charlottesville might work better for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City