U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 05:33 PM

6,644 posts, read 5,920,422 times

Advertisements

I might be able to give some better perspective on this. I live in Denver and I am in Vegas 2-3 times a month for work. I have the option to live in Vegas and in a lot of ways it would simplify my life, but I much prefer Denver. With that being said, I have grown to appreciate Vegas a lot more.

Vegas has a lot going on that it didn’t a few years ago. It’s starting to become more of a real city than just a gambling destination. I’ve found it really amazing to see how much local pride there is nowthan compared to a decade ago. The NHL team has become rallying point for that pride. What a cool story to follow this year.

As for clubs and celebrity chef restaurant options, Vegas is off the charts as one would imagine. If you’re in to that scene (especially the club bit), Vegas is going to crush Denver. Summerlin, where I usually stay, is a very nice suburb and the cost of housing is significantly cheaper than Denver. I could trade my city home in Denver for something twice as big and half the price.

Red Rock Canyon is spectacular for hiking and offers world class rock climbing.

Here are the reasons I’ve elected not to make the move:

-While there are nice suburbs, there are no walkable city neighborhoods with character like those that make up the city of Denver. Everything in Vegas feels like a cookie cutter suburb. I love have big mature trees lining my neighborhood street and I love being able to walk to bars, restaurants and shops. That doesn’t really exist in LV

-Skiing is a big part of my life. I like having access to world class skiing. People I know in Vegas who like to ski end up driving to Brian Head in Utah 3 hours away. It’s not the same as being at A-Basin in an hour and change or Vail in an hour and a half

-The heat, my god the heat! I am just miserable on the 110 degree days and I like snow in the winter. I also like that in Denver it cools down enough almost every night in the summer that we can have windows open. Not a chance in Vegas.

-The culture. Each city has its own quirks. In Vegas it’s much more about what you drive and what you wear. In Denver it’s more about how many ski days you got or which fourteeners you climbed.

-The schools. I know this isn’t an issue for you, but I just really do not like the vibes at the schools in Vegas. Most people I know go private school there and almost all the private schools are religious. That’s a non starter for me. Dawson is the only non religious private school and I like the options in Denver much more.

-Denver’s live music scene is better for the type of music I like. The venues are better too. I like theaters more than what Vegas offers and Red Rocks Amphitheater is the best in the world.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 05-28-2018 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 06:51 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,121,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatedPenguin View Post
Vegas.

Denver is suffering growing pains and a ridiculous and unreasonable cost of living.

Vegas is growing fast too, but not fast to the point that is dropping the quality of life in the area. Imo Denver definitely has better weather than Vegas which is absurdly hot. Denver has a 4 season climate but none of them are extreme.

Despite this, if I was in your shoes I would still choose Vegas unless you have a lot of money and can tolerate congestion and absurd amounts of transplants on the daily.
Yeah it does seem like Denver got super expensive out of nowhere.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:09 PM

4,354 posts, read 3,185,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I might be able to give some better perspective on this. I live in Denver and I am in Vegas 2-3 times a month for work. I have the option to live in Vegas and in a lot of ways it would simplify my life, but I much prefer Denver. With that being said, I have grown to appreciate Vegas a lot more.

Vegas has a lot going on that it didnít a few years ago. Itís starting to become more of a real city than just a gambling destination. Iíve found it really amazing to see how much local pride there is nowthan compared to a decade ago. The NHL team has become rallying point for that pride. What a cool story to follow this year.

As for clubs and celebrity chef restaurant options, Vegas is off the charts as one would imagine. If youíre in to that scene (especially the club bit), Vegas is going to crush Denver. Summerlin, where I usually stay, is a very nice suburb and the cost of housing is significantly cheaper than Denver. I could trade my city home in Denver for something twice as big and half the price.

Red Rock Canyon is spectacular for hiking and offers world class rock climbing.

Here are the reasons Iíve elected not to make the move:

-While there are nice suburbs, there are no walkable city neighborhoods with character like those that make up the city of Denver. Everything in Vegas feels like a cookie cutter suburb. I love have big mature trees lining my neighborhood street and I love being able to walk to bars, restaurants and shops. That doesnít really exist in LV

-Skiing is a big part of my life. I like having access to world class skiing. People I know in Vegas who like to ski end up driving to Brian Head in Utah 3 hours away. Itís not the same as being at A-Basin in an hour and change or Vail in an hour and a half

-The heat, my god the heat! I am just miserable on the 110 degree days and I like snow in the winter. I also like that in Denver it cools down enough almost every night in the summer that we can have windows open. Not a chance in Vegas.

-The culture. Each city has its own quirks. In Vegas itís much more about what you drive and what you wear. In Denver itís more about how many ski days you got or which fourteeners you climbed.

-The schools. I know this isnít an issue for you, but I just really do not like the vibes at the schools in Vegas. Most people I know go private school there and almost all the private schools are religious. Thatís a non starter for me. Dawson is the only non religious private school and I like the options in Denver much more.

-Denverís live music scene is better for the type of music I like. The venues are better too. I like theaters more than what Vegas offers and Red Rocks Amphitheater is the best in the world.
Isn't Mount Charleston an hour away? Can't you ski there? Granted it's not like what's in Colorado but... there's still a closer option right?

Old 05-28-2018, 10:26 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,839,823 times
I would go with Vegas.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Isn't Mount Charleston an hour away? Can't you ski there? Granted it's not like what's in Colorado but... there's still a closer option right?
It is, but the people I know who live there and like to ski drive to Utah.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:23 AM

One other thing I completely neglected in my first post is the existence of a downtown. Vegas doesn’t have one in the traditional sense. It’s a big part of why Vegas just feels like a giant suburb and not a city. Some people don’t care about this and some care a lot.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:15 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,121,723 times
Quote:
One other thing I completely neglected in my first post is the existence of a downtown. Vegas doesnít have one in the traditional sense. Itís a big part of why Vegas just feels like a giant suburb and not a city. Some people donít care about this and some care a lot.
True. People forget that the strip isn't downtown.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:20 AM

15,832 posts, read 5,477,633 times
Quote:
One other thing I completely neglected in my first post is the existence of a downtown. Vegas doesnít have one in the traditional sense. Itís a big part of why Vegas just feels like a giant suburb and not a city. Some people donít care about this and some care a lot.
Vegas has a downtown, and it is actually one of the nightlife hubs of the Las Vegas Valley, centered around Las Vegas Blvd and Fremont St, and is more pedestrian friendly than car friendly

Old 05-29-2018, 10:36 AM

49 posts, read 25,864 times
Quote:
Your kidding right? Vegas has an awesome and lively downtown.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Vegas has a downtown, and it is actually one of the nightlife hubs of the Las Vegas Valley, centered around Las Vegas Blvd and Fremont St, and is more pedestrian friendly than car friendly
I visit Fremont probably once a month. Itís called ďdowntownĒ but itís not a real city downtown in the traditional sense of an urban downtown like Denver or other large cities have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or