U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 10:39 AM

6,643 posts, read 5,920,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatedPenguin View Post
Your kidding right? Vegas has an awesome and lively downtown.
No I’m not. Are you referring to Fremont Street as well? If so, I can’t see how you can compare that to a traditional urban downtown with housing, businesses, bars, and restaurants.

Tony Hsieh has done some cool stuff down there with Zappos and it’s better than it was a few years ago, but Vegas absolutely lacks a real urban center.

One of my good friends lives nearby. It’s night and day different than Denver’s downtown.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 05-29-2018 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 11:47 AM

464 posts, read 147,755 times
I lived in Denver for 2 years and I've only visited Las Vegas (although, I have lived in Palm Springs, CA so I am familiar with desert living).

I don't know if I could do the desert living thing again...it wasn't necessarily the heat the bothered me, it was more of the desert landscape that I couldn't deal with. Too brown, too much sand, lack of greenery, lack of moisture in the air, not enough rain, etc.

I loved the weather in Denver (aside from winter, but I felt winters in Denver were more tolerable than summers in the desert - at least it doesn't snow everyday whereas in Vegas the heat does occur everyday for months).

Denver Pros:
4 seasons, cool sports town, summer rainstorms, beautiful mountains, no desert landscape, bigger city.

Vegas Pros:
Cheaper COL, mild winters, no state income tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If you can comfortably afford either, I'd pick Denver. Denver winters aren't that bad. It's not dreary or snowy for months on end. 50 and 60 degree days are common in January and February. Denver summers are infinitely more tolerable than Vegas.

Denver has a more diversified economy and lower unemployment than Vegas, too.

Vegas has fantastic food and entertainment options, but at the end of the day it's a garish caricature of real life.
I agree, I'd pick Denver too. I don't mind Vegas but I prefer it for quick weekend trips to hang out on the strip and try new restaurants, see a show or whatever.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:33 PM

16,540 posts, read 20,110,113 times
When I'm considering a move to another city I look at where can I go within 2-3 hours of this city, when I get bored with it, which can happen in any city. I lived in Denver one time, it's too isolated, IMO, just like Minneapolis. Given the limited options, you must really have to like these cities. And the mercurial weather pattern of Denver, wild swings in temperatures, not knowing if the temp is going to rise 30 degrees or fall degrees from day to day. And, I know, many Denver people enjoy those temp swings, but I hated it! It happened: I was laying out in the park getting at tan at 75 degrees, and next day: snow on the ground!

I view Las Vegas as a city going through its teenage years (with acne?) and I give it 10+ years for it to finally reach some form of adulthood. One of the last big cities in the country to have any kind of light rail (never mind the kiddy train for the tourists) or a world class museum. Never underestimate the winters here and the cursable winds that can blow through this valley. And the conservatism of the populace! I came from one of the most liberal cities in the country (Minneapolis) and I was all but shell-shocked at how conservative this city is!

Old 05-29-2018, 03:32 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,121,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I'm considering a move to another city I look at where can I go within 2-3 hours of this city, when I get bored with it, which can happen in any city. I lived in Denver one time, it's too isolated, IMO, just like Minneapolis. Given the limited options, you must really have to like these cities. And the mercurial weather pattern of Denver, wild swings in temperatures, not knowing if the temp is going to rise 30 degrees or fall degrees from day to day. And, I know, many Denver people enjoy those temp swings, but I hated it! It happened: I was laying out in the park getting at tan at 75 degrees, and next day: snow on the ground!

I view Las Vegas as a city going through its teenage years (with acne?) and I give it 10+ years for it to finally reach some form of adulthood. One of the last big cities in the country to have any kind of light rail (never mind the kiddy train for the tourists) or a world class museum. Never underestimate the winters here and the cursable winds that can blow through this valley. And the conservatism of the populace! I came from one of the most liberal cities in the country (Minneapolis) and I was all but shell-shocked at how conservative this city is!
Not sure I get that last part. Nevada has gone blue in the past 3 elections. That's almost exclusively because of the Vegas area. It's true Vegas does have winters, but they're still mild compared to 85% of America.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:13 PM

15,770 posts, read 3,173,202 times
I would choose to live in Vegas,Nevada over Denver

Old 06-03-2018, 08:45 PM

6,643 posts, read 5,920,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I would choose to live in Vegas,Nevada over Denver
¿Por qué?

Old Today, 12:42 PM

1 posts
I don’t have much experience with LV, but I did live in Denver from 2017-2018. I moved there from Dallas, TX.

The weather in Denver is mostly nice, but is wildly unpredictable. The chances for heavy snow and hail can produce anxiety. Driving to and from work when it happens can easily quadruple your drive time. My 30 minute commute in rush hour extended to up to 2 hours multiple times (I lived on the border of Denver and Greenwood Village). I’ve seen them have to plow the highway because of the amount of hail.

I have heard others speak of the friendliness of Denverites. However, that was not my experience at all. It is overcrowded on the highways and downtown, making drivers super aggressive and do things out of desperation. Every week I sat through several green lights because cross traffic would block the intersection while they had a red light, lines of cars would go into the bicycle lanes preventing the ones who obeyed the bicycle lane from turning right causing us to have to find an alternate route (there aren’t many alternate routes anywhere in Denver), pedestrians ignore “don’t cross” making your small window to turn disappear while they block your path and again you have to wait through green lights, it’s bumper cars on the highway with many attempting to travel at a speed well over the rest of traffic, people risking their lives and yours to get a car length ahead.

I’m used to everyone in Dallas giving a greeting to stranger while passing by, here you get a strange look like “do I know you?”.

High cost of living and shortage of skilled labor means high costs (they got to make the $$$ or move on to another job where the will make the $$$) and shoddy work (unskilled workers hired to fill the shortage of qualified help). This was mostly in the trades but spilled over into other sectors.

I eventually moved because the city cannot handle the growing pains which hurt quality of life.

I think the replies from the others about Denver is accurate too.

Old Today, 02:14 PM

4,007 posts, read 2,387,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom1783 View Post
I don’t have much experience with LV, but I did live in Denver from 2017-2018. I moved there from Dallas, TX.

The weather in Denver is mostly nice, but is wildly unpredictable. The chances for heavy snow and hail can produce anxiety. Driving to and from work when it happens can easily quadruple your drive time. My 30 minute commute in rush hour extended to up to 2 hours multiple times (I lived on the border of Denver and Greenwood Village). I’ve seen them have to plow the highway because of the amount of hail.

I have heard others speak of the friendliness of Denverites. However, that was not my experience at all. It is overcrowded on the highways and downtown, making drivers super aggressive and do things out of desperation. Every week I sat through several green lights because cross traffic would block the intersection while they had a red light, lines of cars would go into the bicycle lanes preventing the ones who obeyed the bicycle lane from turning right causing us to have to find an alternate route (there aren’t many alternate routes anywhere in Denver), pedestrians ignore “don’t cross” making your small window to turn disappear while they block your path and again you have to wait through green lights, it’s bumper cars on the highway with many attempting to travel at a speed well over the rest of traffic, people risking their lives and yours to get a car length ahead.

I’m used to everyone in Dallas giving a greeting to stranger while passing by, here you get a strange look like “do I know you?”.

High cost of living and shortage of skilled labor means high costs (they got to make the $$$ or move on to another job where the will make the $$$) and shoddy work (unskilled workers hired to fill the shortage of qualified help). This was mostly in the trades but spilled over into other sectors.

I eventually moved because the city cannot handle the growing pains which hurt quality of life.

I think the replies from the others about Denver is accurate too.
Denver drivers were far more aggressive than I thought.

Old Today, 05:32 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,765,337 times
I would much rather live in Denver but I would much rather do anything entertainment or fun related in Las Vegas.

So I view one as a prime place to live and the other as a prime place to visit. Both are among my favorite American cities for their craft and specialities, I suppose. So in the end, I win, because I couldn't go wrong with either selection for what I want.

As for your needs, by reading the OP, it seems that what you're looking for would favor Denver as it has the better performing economy and employment outlook there generally comes with more and better benefits than do comparable situations in Las Vegas. Just my thought though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or