Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 08:56 PM

155 posts, read 287,734 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I'm looking for some opinions (and comparisons) of these 5 places (feel free to add any other suggestions).

I currently live in Denver, and would like to move somewhere with less people, less traffic, less pricey and more affordable, while still being outdoorsy with plenty of outdoor activities. I don't need to be in a city anymore, and I'm looking for a slower pace, but still want a place wth plenty to do and a place with some energy to it (but laid back).

I grew up in NOVA and went to UVA.

I'm single and in my 40s.

My parents live in Smith Mountain Lake and my sister is in Christiansburg.

I have my own business that's online and can live anywhere.

I enjoy hiking, whitewater rafting, kayaking, biking (probably more road or easy trails), cool downtowns and coffee shops. It would be nice if the place had an entrepreneurial energy. While I don't drink much, I still like the option of breweries and restaurants.

I want a community feel and to get to know the people in town.

I enjoy places that are growing and "up and coming" but not to the extent of what Denver is experiencing right now.

I know each of the 5 places have varying degrees of # of people, so that's one thing I need to consider. While I know none of these are on the beach, having a beach in somewhat close proximity would be nice, but not a must.

I've been spoiled with low humidity in Denver. I know humidity is something I'll need to get use to, but I don't particularly like it.

I'd love to hear any opinions on these 5 places or any other towns/cities you might suggest. I would be renting for at least the first 2 years, but hopefully buying some property down the road.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 01:44 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
What about places in the Eastern Panhandle of WV like Charles Town or Shepherdstown?

Old 05-26-2018, 01:58 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
My impression is that Winchester is seeing a higher growth rate than the other western Virginia cities, due to its proximity to the DC area. This suggests the traffic and cost of living are more likely to increase in the future there, and having more residents commuting elsewhere would be less conducive to having as much of a community feel.

Roanoke seems great from an outdoors perspective with the Blue Ridge Mountains on the edge of the city, and the downtown has become increasingly vibrant. It would definitely be affordable compared to Denver. I think Lexington is very small but certainly quaint.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about places in the Eastern Panhandle of WV like Charles Town or Shepherdstown?
I'm not familiar with these 2 places, but they are probably a bit too far north of what I'm looking for. I know Lewisburg is often ranked high in best outdoor towns, but I haven't looked into it very much.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 05-28-2018, 04:19 PM

[quote=jas75;52010512]My impression is that Winchester is seeing a higher growth rate than the other western Virginia cities, due to its proximity to the DC area. This suggests the traffic and cost of living are more likely to increase in the future there, and having more residents commuting elsewhere would be less conducive to having as much of a community feel.

Is that just what you've heard or have you experienced it first hand. I think I would like having DC close by, but you bring up a good point with traffic and cost of living potentially being worse.

Yes definitely Roanoke would fit with what I'm looking for and be close to family. For some reason, I haven't been impressed with it's downtown my last few times visiting (which has been recent) even thought it's getting better. I can't place my finger on why though. Seems to have a very old and gritty feel to it, I think.

Thanks for responding!

Old 05-28-2018, 07:04 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Roanoke has a great "in the mountains" feel, but it seemed a little rundown on my visit in February, other than the downtown area

Old 05-29-2018, 11:30 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolby View Post
Yes definitely Roanoke would fit with what I'm looking for and be close to family. For some reason, I haven't been impressed with it's downtown my last few times visiting (which has been recent) even thought it's getting better. I can't place my finger on why though. Seems to have a very old and gritty feel to it, I think.
Well, it is old. But the old is new again. I'm pretty sure I already shared this with you, but just in case... The Small Appalachian City That’s Thriving

Quote:
Roanoke, Virginia, has become what many cities of its size, geography, and history want to be. It started by bringing housing to a deserted downtown.
Quote:
The last time Amtrak carried passengers here, in 1979, Roanoke was a different city. Then, the so-called Star City at the eastern gateway to central Appalachia was a blue-collar New South city built around the Norfolk & Western railroad. The city core was decaying as businesses and residents moved outward to suburbs and adjacent counties.

But in 2017, Roanoke is transformed. Amtrak is returning to a city that’s no longer dependent on the railroad. Meanwhile, the Star City has become what so many cities of its size, geography, and history want to be. It’s burgeoning, chock full of craft beer, and eminently welcoming to outdoorsy Millennials. As small cities struggle to retain young people, Roanoke is attracting them. The city has gained 25- to 34-year-olds for some time, and now, after three decades of losing 15- to 24-year-olds, it’s gaining them, too—that cohort grew 7 percent between 2010 and 2015.

So how did this happen?

It all starts with the area those Amtrak passengers find when they step off the train—an unorthodox, rapidly growing downtown neighborhood that didn’t even exist 20 years ago.
Read on for more info about the awesomeness of present-day Downtown Roanoke.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Well, it is old. But the old is new again. I'm pretty sure I already shared this with you, but just in case... The Small Appalachian City That’s Thriving

Read on for more info about the awesomeness of present-day Downtown Roanoke.
Thanks for the great article!

Last edited by JMT; 06-04-2018 at 01:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City