Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 08:43 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I am happy with St Louis but I don't think it is the end all be all as far as a place to live. I would even fo so far to say that if I didn't know St Louis, it wouldn't be on my radar.

I've enjoyed living in Chicago that is one of the top cities in the country for urban living. Yes it does smash St Louis to pieces when it comes to many things. What I don't understand is how Atlanta seems so much more advanced and better in the day to day quality of life when I don't see it. A lot of it seems like people reading articles are driving through a city making judgment. I would love to read from people who have moved around give their story.
That's going to depend on your day-to-day routine for the most part so your interests, extracurricular activities, social life, etc. will have a lot to do with that. But if you're mostly a homebody who only enjoys the occasional outing (and there's nothing wrong with that), then most cities will essentially be the same.

Now I see where you used the term "urban living" so if all you're talking about is walking or utilizing PT everywhere you go, then that explains why you wouldn't see Atlanta as being better. That's far from being the end-all, be-all for me, but if that's your primary criterion in a city, then it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 09:04 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's going to depend on your day-to-day routine for the most part so your interests, extracurricular activities, social life, etc. will have a lot to do with that. But if you're mostly a homebody who only enjoys the occasional outing (and there's nothing wrong with that), then most cities will essentially be the same.

Now I see where you used the term "urban living" so if all you're talking about is walking or utilizing PT everywhere you go, then that explains why you wouldn't see Atlanta as being better. That's far from being the end-all, be-all for me, but if that's your primary criterion in a city, then it is what it is.
Sure, Atlanta lacks great PT compared to northern metros of similar size, but STL? You are giving that poster too much leeway. If you live in midtown/downtown, you can walk to several heavy rail subway stations that will take 30+ stops scattered within a 6 million plus metro.

It’s really un fair on both sides. One metro is huge, so things could potentially take longer depending on distance. But you have more options. With the smaller metro, things are more compact, but far less areas to explore on PT alone.

Seattle is not that much larger than STL, but I think that is probably a better example of urban living in smaller city.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:08 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Sure, Atlanta lacks great PT compared to northern metros of similar size, but STL? You are giving that poster too much leeway. If you live in midtown/downtown, you can walk to several heavy rail subway stations that will take 30+ stops scattered within a 6 million plus metro.

It’s really un fair on both sides. One metro is huge, so things could potentially take longer depending on distance. But you have more options. With the smaller metro, things are more compact, but far less areas to explore on PT alone.

Seattle is not that much larger than STL, but I think that is probably a better example of urban living in smaller city.
MetroLink has 36 stations in a metro of just under 3 million. The same amount of mileage with much lower ridership. St Louis has a overall better walk score than Atlanta. There is walkability away from the central corridor. There numerous lrt subway stations between Downtown and Clayton in St. Louis.

St. Louis does just as well as Atlanta economically considering the growth rates. One can live just as well in St. Louis and be just as financially successful. If you want a southern style big city, choose Atlanta. If you want a small midwestern big city choose St. Louis or KC. They aren't comparable. KC and STL are better at being small big cities located in the midwest than Atlanta is at being a global big city. I hope you understand. Atlanta does okay at being a national big city. Atlanta does well at being a southern big city.

As I written before Atlanta and KC/STL are not peers. I love Atlanta for what it is. Too many are writing on issues they know nothing about.

Btw, if Seattle Minneapolis or even Denver was part of this discussion, I would have a strong preference for them.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:38 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
^ I don't get the hate on St Louis. I'm guessing almost everybody that talks about StL in a negative way is actually pretty clueless about the city. People tend to group StL with Detroit or Buffalo something as far as urban decay and abandonment. A very large portion of the city is very vibrant and livable. The metro area has nice suburbs. There is a lot to do there. It feels like a major relatively dense metropolitan area. Yet it's not Atlanta or Dallas or Houston with nothing but 12 lane freeways lined with frontage roads and towers.

St Louis is actually a pretty cool city in a nice central location. I think one main problem with StL is the people. They just are not all that welcoming to outsiders. Most people in metro StL have lived there all their lives so the culture there is somewhat annoying. KC is similar in that regard, but to a lesser degree and much more welcoming to outsiders.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:45 AM

923 posts, read 664,573 times
Quote:
I am happy with St Louis but I don't think it is the end all be all as far as a place to live. I would even fo so far to say that if I didn't know St Louis, it wouldn't be on my radar.

I've enjoyed living in Chicago that is one of the top cities in the country for urban living. Yes it does smash St Louis to pieces when it comes to many things. What I don't understand is how Atlanta seems so much more advanced and better in the day to day quality of life when I don't see it. A lot of it seems like people reading articles are driving through a city making judgment. I would love to read from people who have moved around give their story.
I have been to St.Louis and whenever St.Louis comes up,I tell people how much I liked it.St.Louis does not have the best reputation or even a reputation good or bad.Thats a point that you are missing.Peoples interest is where it starts before people go to a place.Most people wont think to go to Detroit but that doesnt mean its all bad.

You have gotten responses from knowledgeable people but thats not what you want to hear it seems.I have lived many different places and and been to these cities that are mentioned.'
Was it you that made the statement"That it seems i've never lived in a midsized city" or something to that effect?
Why try to discredit someone for giving their opinion? Several people have said statements that are ridiculous about Atlanta but not once have I argued with someone about their opinion.
Ive given you reasons why Atlanta is a tier above those cities,but some of you keep crossing out pluses as if they dont matter.

You are picking basic facts that are minuscule at best.These are not minuscule facts about what makes some cities better or more important as faras factors that determine a city with influence and importance in business and quality of life which is subjective
These are just things that differ between cities like Atlanta versus the MO twins.

> a diverse population.Yes every city is diverse but there is a major difference in smaller cities once you hit a certain size.
One again just look at consulate office which can show you influence or reach
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Cities with ten or more consulates
3.1 Los Angeles
3.2 Chicago
3.3 Houston
3.4 San Francisco
3.5 Miami
3.6 Atlanta
3.7 Boston
Notice Atlanta in the same realm of Chicago even though Chicago has so much more.
I searched but STL nor K.C. had not ONE diplomatic office

>The BeltLine
https://www.conservationfund.org/blo...-smiling-about

>ATTRACTIONS.VISITATION
The most visited cities in the US in 2017 - Business Insider
The article has some old data as far s the numbers but its still accurate in showing the scope of Atlanta travel/tourism.

> Business.Not just F500/1000 companies but international business,KC?STL are nowhere near that level.A levael Atlanta has surpasses LA but less than Chicago.

>Higher education/Research
Atlanta has three R1 level schools.Four R2/R3 schools
KC has none.STL one. R1-R2 there is one in KC.

This matters because schools like GA Tech are causing compnies torelocate near their campus .I was amazed with all the construction along Tech Square.Its a major tech hub now.
KC/STL dont have that.Not on the same level that is.

>Transportation
Airport(obvious),A subway and a streetcar are not the same.Subways move more than twice as many people and faster.Also the distance in which the system or systems go.

Either way you slice it many people find these amenities more appealing which is the reason cities like Atlanta have been growing the way they have for decades.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Yea but after you do those 4 or 5 "attractions" Atlanta becomes boring, It's not like Times Square or Bourbon Street or South Beach where you always wanna go Time and Again, I would hit South Beach EVERY TIME I set foot in Miami, With The World Of Coca Cola or College Hall of Fame It's Once and Done, Who Wants too keep going to the College Football HoF Over and over again!?
Pure silliness and hate-aid.You live in TN for goodness sake.Nothing wrong with the place but if you think Atlanta gets boring then you are not a good source.

No one is going to go to Atlanta thinking they are in NYC or Chicago but they will be glad theres more to do than is expected by a city with no waterfront, mountain range,several amusement parks etc.
Also a person living in any city will not go seee attractions more than once usually.I will say the Aquarium ive done several times when I visit.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post

>Transportation
Airport(obvious),A subway and a streetcar are not the same.Subways move more than twice as many people and faster.Also the distance in which the system or systems go.
You've discredited yourself writing about a streetcar. I am done with you.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
MetroLink has 36 stations in a metro of just under 3 million. The same amount of mileage with much lower ridership. St Louis has a overall better walk score than Atlanta. There is walkability away from the central corridor. There numerous lrt subway stations between Downtown and Clayton in St. Louis.

St. Louis does just as well as Atlanta economically considering the growth rates. One can live just as well in St. Louis and be just as financially successful. If you want a southern style big city, choose Atlanta. If you want a small midwestern big city choose St. Louis or KC. They aren't comparable. KC and STL are better at being small big cities located in the midwest than Atlanta is at being a global big city. I hope you understand. Atlanta does okay at being a national big city. Atlanta does well at being a southern big city.

As I written before Atlanta and KC/STL are not peers. I love Atlanta for what it is. Too many are writing on issues they know nothing about.

Btw, if Seattle Minneapolis or even Denver was part of this discussion, I would have a strong preference for them.
I dont think anyone has said anything about how you can live.Based on your comments
I could say living in Knoxville,TN is not much difference than living in KC/STL based on how you see this comparison.

You keep trying to paint Atlanta s a "national" city but its an international city. Anyway its not worth arguing about.You have your opinion but I like to look at facts,not emotion.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:21 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I think one main problem with StL is the people. They just are not all that welcoming to outsiders. Most people in metro StL have lived there all their lives so the culture there is somewhat annoying.
For me, that's a pretty big negative when it comes to choosing a city in which to live. A place doesn't have to be growing at warp speed for me to live there, but there should at least be a modest rate of in-migration so that every social gathering doesn't feel like a high school reunion. In booming metros like Atlanta, I like the vibe and energy that the influx of transplants bring yet at the same time, I know quite a few locals also. I also find a certain excitement in seeing a city develop and evolve into something better right before your very eyes.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
For me, that's a pretty big negative when it comes to choosing a city in which to live. A place doesn't have to be growing at warp speed for me to live there, but there should at least be a modest rate of in-migration so that every social gathering doesn't feel like a high school reunion. In booming metros like Atlanta, I like the vibe and energy that the influx of transplants bring yet at the same time, I know quite a few locals also. I also find a certain excitement in seeing a city develop and evolve into something better right before your very eyes.
It's a big negative for me as well. Before deciding to move back to the STL, I would think about the Saint Louis syndrome that I hated so much before when I lived there.

Fortunately, I haven't found that to be an issue. I live in a neighborhood that is full of transplants and I socialize with mostly transplants who are well rounded and educated. That has made the "Saint Louis syndrome" easier to deal with.

If I lived in suburban St Louis, I would not be here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City