Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Kansas City 12 44.44%
Sacramento 15 55.56%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,868 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys! I am getting set to graduate college in the south and I am looking at taking a job either as a teacher or in the non-profit sector. Right now, two options that seem really viable are Kansas City (Missouri) and Sacramento. I have only been to either place very briefly and I am looking for some information to help me.
About me: I am in my 20's and a gay man. I am looking to go into teaching, or advocacy in the non-profit sector. I like having a lot to do and explore. The things I am looking to figure out about these places are-

Economy: what is the job market like? Which is better?

Nightlife: Which city has more to do for young single people?

Gay Scene/Gay Friendliness of the area: How welcoming is the area? Is there a strong gay community, with gay singles and groups?

Cost of living: I know that California will be more expensive than Missouri, but from what I saw on SCUSD and Kansas City Public Schools, the difference in salary is about $15,000 more in Sacramento. Would this be enough to offset the increased cost of living (Taxes, housing, etc)

Things to do: arts, culture, nature, food etc. In and out of the city.

Urbanity: which feels more urban and has better biking/walking infrastructure?

"Vibe": Don't get me wrong, I love trader joe's and target, but I really love small businesses that make a city what it is. Do they have a lot of these? Is the city more liberal or conservative? Anything else you think would go here is good too.

I really appreciate any information, anecdotes etc.

Last edited by Tryingtostart; 06-23-2018 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 06:52 PM

404 posts, read 456,928 times
Both cities are cool. It probably comes down to do you want to be more in the middle of the country and have more of the country more accessible or would you rather be very close to the megacity area of the Bay area.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,868 times
brooksider2brooklyn that is a really good point. I have been to the Bay Area a few times on vacations and love it, but realistically know that I cannot afford to live there without winning the lottery. Kansas City would be considerably closer to family (although still decently far), but Sacramento may have better weather. Honestly the most important thing is being in a progressive city, that is decently walkable/bike-able, has a lot to do,has a thriving gay community and won't break the bank... It sure is a dilemma

Old 06-25-2018, 09:19 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtostart View Post
brooksider2brooklyn that is a really good point. I have been to the Bay Area a few times on vacations and love it, but realistically know that I cannot afford to live there without winning the lottery. Kansas City would be considerably closer to family (although still decently far), but Sacramento may have better weather. Honestly the most important thing is being in a progressive city, that is decently walkable/bike-able, has a lot to do,has a thriving gay community and won't break the bank... It sure is a dilemma
I'll be honest with you. KC's bicycle infrastructure sucks. I enjoy urban cycling and have biked in most major cities, and KC is WAY behind in having marked bike lanes, (let alone dedicated bike lanes), urban off road paths such as levee trails etc. They are just now getting some basic marked bike lanes in the downtown area. Even though the city is full of parks and has two major rivers running through it, there are very few cycleways, or paths that go anywhere or connect to anything.

But...With the amount of people moving into the downtown/midtown areas of KCMO, I think they have a pretty good chance of rapidly catching up on some of this stuff. There is no other city with so many people living in a downtown area with so few urban recreation options. The residents have to start demanding more from the city at some point, especially residents that have lived in other major cities and are used to having much better recreation and cycling infrastructure. So KC needs more people like you to move there.

Having said that. If you like to cycle, you can easily enjoy KC even though it lacks a lot of infrastructure. It's a really cool city to bike around, but the urban core is pretty hilly compared to Sacramento.

I like Sacramento and I might choose it over KC but only because of its proximity to the SF Bay area.

But as far as the city vs the city, I personally would take KC over Sacramento. I just feel like KC has a lot more urban charm. To me, the city is just a lot more "interesting". All the mixes of architecture, just enough grit to give it some character and flavor. I honesty think KC has more to do as a city than Sacramento. More pro sports, more attractions (amusement parks, museums etc). KC seems more like a stand alone metro that is actually a regional destination while Sacramento is in the shadow of SF and people go to SF for the "big city". I'm not gay, but it seems like KC's gay community is no different than any other large city. KC has a very vibrant arts scene. I would say KC's arts, theater etc can compete with cities much bigger than KC.

KC's biggest downfall compared to Sac is being in the middle of the country in a metro that lives in two conservative states run by right wing politicians (KC's urban core is very liberal and the suburbs are moderate) . KC is surrounded by mostly farmland, no national parks, mountains, oceans, etc like you have near the east and west coasts. The Lake of the Ozarks are other parts of Missouri are nice, but a few hours away.

But KC's not so great location is also a positive. KC is a fantastic place to live if you want to travel and see the entire country. There is not a long flight from KC. You can be in any major city on either coast within 2-3 hours by plane and most of the country is within a day's drive. It's a great home base if you like to travel and not live in a bubble like most people do in areas like the Bay area.

I would imagine you would be happy in either Sac or KC.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:27 AM

979 posts, read 2,092,965 times
KC offers more amenities than Sac but if you prefer to live near the West Coast and enjoy the outdoors, ocean, lakes, mountains than Sac might be the ideal place.

Sac is mostly liberal in it's urban core, the suburbs and the outskirts of the city are pretty moderate to conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City