Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City For Living and Visiting
Atlanta 30 18.63%
Austin 7 4.35%
Dallas 31 19.25%
Denver 13 8.07%
Miami+Miami Beach 17 10.56%
Minneapolis+St.Paul 30 18.63%
Portland 5 3.11%
San Diego 28 17.39%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 07:30 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times

Advertisements

1.Twin Cities: Packs a big punch in amenities and urbanity for a city its size. Great "bang for your buck." Definitely an oddball here, because it is the only city in the Midwest. All others are Southern or Western.

2. Miami: I love the Cuban influence, Art Deco, attractions, winter weather and scenery of Miami Beach. I've seen nothing like the water of South Florida. I spent less time in the city of Miami but the skyline is surely impressive. Not somewhere I want to live because of the long spans of hot, humid weather. I appreciate what Miami offers the USA.

3. Atlanta: Major hub of its region, booming economically, African American cultural powerhouse. I hear great things but have spent very little time there.

4. Portland, OR: Beautiful scenery, funky vibe, bikable city, ecologically-oriented residents. It just lacks the history, diversity and urbanity I prefer.

5. Austin, TX: Fun "counter-culture" vibe, proud residents, booming economy all make it a fun place to visit. It became popular so fast that its infrastructure is behind its city population.

6. Denver: The Colorado rockies are gorgeous and a blast to hike. The economy is great. Otherwise, Denver is not really my scene.

7.Dallas: The economy here is booming. Otherwise, I know Dallas would not be my scene with its sprawling metroplex built environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 09:26 AM

485 posts, read 324,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
Atlanta
Austin
Dallas
Denver
Miami+Miami Beach
Minneapolis+St.Paul
Portland, Oregon
San Diego

Best City in terms of:
Cost of Living? NOT San Diego or Portland. I live in SD right now and I'm trying to find ways to leave because its too expensive. I'd probably say Dallas on this one.
Education? (K12 & University): Austin or Dallas
Growth? Austin

Scenery & Architecture? Portland, Denver
Amenities, Culture, Food, Fun, & Nightlife? Denver, Miami, Dallas
Metro Area? Dallas, Atlanta

Downtown? Dallas, Denver, Atlanta, Miami

Which city is your favorite out of these overall? Tie between Denver and Portland.

Which is the best in terms of living & visiting? I lived in Denver for two years and loved it. Now living in San Diego and would love to go back to Colorado. San Diego is a beautiful city but too expensive, pay is low and I enjoyed SD more as a visitor than I do as a resident. I was happier living in Denver and its also a fun place to visit so my vote goes to Denver.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:47 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I like all of these choices with the exception of Miami. I couldn't move out of that hellhole fast enough. Before I lived there I never knew people could be so nasty.
This seems to be a pot meets kettle kind of criticism.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:33 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
1. Atlanta - I live here and wouldn't want to live anywhere else
2. Denver - probably my 3rd choice after Atlanta and Seattle.
3. Portland - Almost tie a with Denver
4. San Diego - lived there for 10 years so I already know what it's like to live there, but very expensive and don't like the lack of seasons
5. Great city to visit, but not live
6-8 (three way tie between Austin, Dallas, and MPLS). Just not familiar with those cities. I hear good things about all of them, and the cost of living isn't too bad in any of them.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:58 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
Downtown? Dallas, Denver, Atlanta, Miami
Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Dallas has some happening neighborhoods adjacent to downtown, but downtown itself is (compared to Denver) pretty damn dull. Downtown Denver is around 80,000 residents. Dallas is closer to 11,000.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:59 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,048,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruperto1978 View Post
At 7.4 million and growing at 100k+ a year DFW is clearly the actual winner of these metros. City Data polls are just like exit polls... unreliable
The actual winner? Based on what?

Each of us are just one person - who cares about the other 99,999 if the question is about preference? Moving to a city for a job doesn't mean that's that person's first choice.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:07 AM

345 posts, read 810,335 times
I'll never understand how Minneapolis always wins these polls over places like Seattle and Portland. I been there and it's nice, but i dont see what it has over the others other than living cost

Old 07-10-2018, 11:14 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Dallas has some happening neighborhoods adjacent to downtown, but downtown itself is (compared to Denver) pretty damn dull. Downtown Denver is around 80,000 residents. Dallas is closer to 11,000.
80,000 in downtown Denver is a stretch. The figure includes the CBD and numerous neighborhoods surrounding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
I'll never understand how Minneapolis always wins these polls over places like Seattle and Portland. I been there and it's nice, but i dont see what it has over the others other than living cost
I've been to all three too. Seattle beats out Minneapolis, but Minneapolis easily beats out Portland. Portland isn't in the same tier as either Seattle or Minneapolis and IMO, it might be the most overrated city in the US.

Last edited by YIMBY; 07-10-2018 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-10-2018, 12:27 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
I've been to all three too. Seattle beats out Minneapolis, but Minneapolis easily beats out Portland. Portland isn't in the same tier as either Seattle or Minneapolis and IMO, it might be the most overrated city in the US.
I would say that Austin is more overrated than Portland.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:33 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I would say that Austin is more overrated than Portland.
Perhaps, but at least Austin is attracting a diverse group of people. Portland is a very trendy place for middle-class white people who were picked on throughout high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City