Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which you prefer?
San Diego 69 57.98%
Toronto 50 42.02%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 10:40 AM

345 posts, read 809,789 times

Advertisements

based on:

quality of life
economy
nightlife
scenery
daytime activities/events
shopping/entertainment venues
transportation
overall vibe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 10:48 AM

923 posts, read 664,364 times
quality of life-San Dieago(cheaper and better weather
economy-Toronto
nightlife-Toronto
scenery-San Diego
daytime activities/events-tie
shopping/entertainment venues-Toronto
transportation-Toronto
overall vibe-San Diego feels more fun.I think because of the weather

Id pick San Diego

Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
quality of life Toronto. Overall the QOL is higher in Canada, things like healthcare, safety, paid maternity/paternity leave, paid vacation laws.

economy Drives the Canadian economy in many ways, so more important place in the country than SD. So Toronto.

nightlife Definitely Toronto.

scenery San Diego. I do like the ravine parks in Toronto, but I love the beaches in SD.

daytime activities/events Tie

shopping/entertainment venues Toronto. Just more choice.

transportation Toronto.

overall vibe Depends on my mood. SD for a more laid back vibe, Toronto for a big city energy vibe.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:59 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
San Diego

Old 06-28-2018, 07:28 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
quality of life: Subjective, depends on who you are, what you do, where you live, etc...

economy: Toronto. Financial Centre for a prosperous nation. Much more diverse economy as well. Only drawback is the wages are extremely low for a city of its stature.

nightlife: Tie? San Diego punches about at its weight when it comes to nightlife. Toronto on the other hand punches well below its weight.

scenery: San Diego. Gorgeous area and beaches.

daytime activities/events: Toronto. Larger city with more amenities and more to do overall.

shopping/entertainment venues: Toronto. See above.

transportation: Toronto, by a landslide.

overall vibe: Toronto is more my style of city but SD really is a nice place to visit and most likely live. If I were choosing one to move to? It would be SD, but that is because I have already lived in Toronto, so no point to repeating in my view.

Based on the criteria, Toronto wins in overall votes: Toronto: 4, SD: 1, Tie: 3.

Vote goes to Toronto.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:07 AM

1,051 posts, read 796,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
quality of life Toronto. Overall the QOL is higher in Canada, things like healthcare, safety, paid maternity/paternity leave, paid vacation laws.
While these may be true countrywide, the comparison here is between two cities. For example, Toronto has a higher homicide and general crime rate than San Diego. The murder rate in Toronto now exceeds that of NYC, and SD is much safer than NYC.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2018/06/...gher-new-york/

California has paid maternity leave laws that are more generous than the rest of the US.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:30 AM

293 posts, read 245,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
While these may be true countrywide, the comparison here is between two cities. For example, Toronto has a higher homicide and general crime rate than San Diego. The murder rate in Toronto now exceeds that of NYC, and SD is much safer than NYC.

I'm afraid this article is somewhat misleading as it includes the McArthur murders, which no one knows at what time took place, and the terrorist attack at Yonge and Sheppard with a van that killed 10 people.

If these two events are removed, it would reduce the number of homicides to around 30. This equates to a crime rate of 0.99 per 100,000 people, far below the 1.51 from NYC.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post

California has paid maternity leave laws that are more generous than the rest of the US.
CRAROD already spoke about the murder rate. Toronto is actually a very safe city overall.

Maternity/Paternity leave in Canada is more generous than California where 4 months is standard, and 7 months if you add in bonding time. In Canada it's can be over 12 months. Also in Canada the parents can split the leave between mother and father, unlike in California where paternity leave is usually unpaid and limited to six weeks.

Severance pay is also outlined in law.

As is Vacation time.

The biggy UHC, also adds to the QOL IMO.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
I'm afraid this article is somewhat misleading as it includes the McArthur murders, which no one knows at what time took place, and the terrorist attack at Yonge and Sheppard with a van that killed 10 people.

If these two events are removed, it would reduce the number of homicides to around 30. This equates to a crime rate of 0.99 per 100,000 people, far below the 1.51 from NYC.
The serial killer homicides are not included in this year's count, but the van attack killings are.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:42 PM

23,514 posts, read 23,986,796 times
San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City